Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

First foray - adventures with Java Fern

More
10 Feb 2008 20:34 #1 by Coler (Coler)
Hey folks,

I've just bought 4 jave ferns and am putting them in my set up (crushed coral substrate, rockwork decor).

Am I ok to just remove most of the green gunky stuff from the roots and put the plants into holes in rockwork which are tight enough to secure the plant ? (A friend used pre-bored rock for his and it seems to have taken nicely so I was hoping I would not need to go fiddling about with bits of string etc as my rockwork has basically the same characteristics). I gather that Java is a) indestructible within bounds and b) not an attractive nibble for fish - correct ?

I also got 3 vallis and these I have just put into the substrate - again am I doing this right (I know these are riskier with africans and may become a dietary supplement :D).

The lights are on a timer - I'll set it for 10 hours on per day.

My reason for adding the plants a) to educate myself a little bit and b) even though I am keeping africans [who may of course devour everything :D] I thought that in a closed system such as an aquarium live plants would still have a good role to play in removing dissolved organic compounds from the water and c) I wanted to break up the vertical line of sight a bit in the tank as some of my stock is terrrorising each other/every other fish in there.

I must say, having stripped out a load of fake silk plants and gone to a very minimalistic look with just the rocks, I really like these real plants - there's no comparison.

Nitrates in the tank would not reach 20 in a week, based on a weekly change of 25 - 30 % tank volume (probably a 40 - 45% change of actual water volume). Should I be thinking about reducing volume of water changes ? I would prefer not to fertilise.

Any other tips/alternatively tell me how wrongly I am doing it and what to do instead ?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2008 20:59 #2 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
Hey Coler,

First off, congrats on the move to real plants... I sense a \"no way am I going back to silk plants convert\" hehehe :)

The Java fern will do great pushed into the rockwork. Yeah, take off as much of the rock wool \"green gunky stuff!?!\" :P as you can without damaging the roots too much.
Then just gently press it into the gaps in your rock.

Java fern is certainly not indestructible, but I know what you mean, its a hardy little plant. One thing that gave my confidence a severe knock when I started in planted tanks was when a veteran of planted tanks told me \"if you kill java fern you shouldnt keep plants\"
Then mine rotted.... !! :blink: :blush:

So dont worry if this happens. Yes, java fern and vallis are some of the most hardy plants you can get and they should grow well, but if you're local water isnt right then they will die back.

Also, your Java fern may rot as mine did. Dont panic, this is a defense mechanism of the plant as it adjust to your particular tank setup. It will shed it's leaves, but the rhizome will remain and should start to grow back after a couple of weeks. Mine did, and its now dominating the centre of my bogwood tank.

Watch for the vallis in the gravel. You dont say which variety of vallis you have, but it should never have its rhizome covered with the gravel. Just push it in deep enough that the roots are covered.

This is especially important if you have Vallisneria Corkscrew (the twisted variety) as one piece of gravel inside a twist and the whole plant could rot and die back!
You dont want soft water either, vallis will survive in soft water, but only really thrive in moderately hard water.

More
10 Feb 2008 21:07 #3 by Coler (Coler)
Hey Cardnim - thanks a million for the reply that's excellent information.

Another quickie - I just remembered I didn't take off the metal binding the Vallis root; this I take it is extremely foolish and I should take it out right now and remove (I am just off to do that now).

Thanks again - you're dead right on not returning to silk plants; I'm ridiculously chuffed with myself :D

More
10 Feb 2008 21:15 #4 by Cardnim (Andrew Hanley)
Hey Coler,

I wouldnt worry about the lead weight on the vallis. It will help keep it on top of the gravel so I actually think if you can, keep it! Its doing you a favour.

Vallis will send out runners to duplicate itself and these will be able to grow past your metal strip no problems.

Like I said, the biggest killer of vallis is rot, and this happens if its buried too deep, so if the lead weight is holding it on the gravel, then Id stick with it :)

If you want another hardy plant that could do well in most tanks, hygrophilia polysperma would be an excellent choice.

Alternatively, give us your water readings (GH/KH & light levels) and we could maybe recommend a few more if you want them :)

More
10 Feb 2008 21:43 - 10 Feb 2008 21:44 #5 by Coler (Coler)
great - I'll just barely tuck the Vallis in so, leaving the metal on.

I'll get back with the hardness readings - I'm thinking either ways the choice is pretty scarce bearing in mind these are malawis and tangs, but keeping everything crossed that these plants do well and you wouldn't know where it would end up :)

(on a side note, the large scale re-arrangement of rock and the plants have certainly spooked the aggression out of them for now...wimps...admiring the flowers :D)

thanks again.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2008 21:44 by Coler (Coler).

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds