Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Congratulations to Zig on his PFK Interview

More
27 Mar 2008 23:37 #1 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
Congratulations to Peter Kirwan on his interview by George Farmer in this months (April) issue of Pratical Fishkeeping on his aquascape.
The article is on page 98 for anybody who wants to see it.

Regards,
Darragh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Mar 2008 23:51 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Yes congratulations Peter, I heard about that, but I have not got my hands on a copy yet, maybe tomorrow.

More
28 Mar 2008 00:37 #3 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Yeh, congrats. Peter, i am prob. like Daragh, subscription, Easons was easier!!!
Have ordered your fish n they should arrive soon. will post up when settled!

More
28 Mar 2008 01:19 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Congratulation Peter. PFK seem to be verry fond of your tanks. Who would blame them.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
28 Mar 2008 08:22 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Congratulations to Zig on his PFK Interview
Absolutely, Zig is the plant master!
Fair play that someone is being such an ambassador for our hobby.
Well done sir!

More
28 Mar 2008 15:34 - 28 Mar 2008 15:36 #6 by goldy (goldy .)
well done Peter. How does it feel to be a celebrity. Your tanks are amazing and it must be nice to get proper recognition for them. well Done. Does this mean that you will want royalties and appearance money for displaying one of your tanks at the show this year. Only joking.

I have to say though that after people saw your tank at the show last year it started a planted tank revolution in Ireland. Fair play.:cheer:

Nessa
Last edit: 28 Mar 2008 15:36 by goldy (goldy .).

More
28 Mar 2008 17:15 #7 by lampeye (lampeye)
well done zig, your tanks are all amazing! havent bought pfk in ages but ill have to get this one.

lampeye

More
28 Mar 2008 17:56 #8 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Well done Peter. The article was great and the pictures were amazing.

Regards,

Ken.

More
29 Mar 2008 00:44 #9 by zig (zig)
Hey thanks guys wasn't expecting to see this here:blush: fame at last eh:S :huh:

Yeah I picked up a copy last week in Easons, I knew it was coming out obviously but I don't subscribe to the magazine, they didnt send me one either!!

I was sent a pm by the editor Jeremy Gaye on a different forum last January asking me could they do a feature on the tank, so I said ok but I didnt write the piece or anything like that, tbh I was dissapointed when I seen it. They really didnt use the pictures well at all IMO, they dont show the scale of the tank because the pictures were badly cropped. The main picture of the finished tank on the back page of the 3 page spread is really cropped, the sides of the tank are missing altogether! all the pictures are badly cropped, I cant understand how they didnt use the finished pictures of the tank in the main center spread and then use the setup pictures smaller on the other page, instead they used the main pictures small and the setup pictures huge, it didn't make sense to me anyway. Aw well it doesn't really matter to me at all tbh but they didn't really show the tank properly IMO, just bad picture editing.

The same tank is going to be featured in Aquascaping World April edition, that should be out by email any day now, it should be interesting to see how the pictures are used in that. I didnt write that either, It will basically be a rehash of the PFK article where it is taken from with a couple of extra bits from me.

In the meantime back in the non celeb real world:P I put this aquascape in a slightly bigger tank , I moved the whole lot lock stock and substrate into the new tank and it works better now I think, the new tank has more depth front to back and the scale works good now, I changed things around slightly as well so Im just waiting for it to grow out a little bit more and then it should be finished.

Drew from Aquatic village is going to get me some Rasbora maculata to stock the tank with for when its finished, I cant wait to get a shoal of those little guys and they should really finish the tank off nicely. Im probably then going to enter it into the 2008 ADA competition.

Thanks folks wasn't expecting this thread at all!!

More
29 Mar 2008 02:08 #10 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Green fingers and modest!!:P Well done peter, its good to see you getting the recognition that you deserve.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
29 Mar 2008 17:55 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
well done Zig just after reading the article and looking at that stunning tank setup.. its guys like you who draw new people into the hobby and should be commended for it. the fact your also helpful on the forum and modest to boot make it even more delightful that you've got this recognition.. keep up the good work and thanks for being such a great ambassador for this superb hobby of ours
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
05 Apr 2008 18:55 #12 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Well done!!!, I have not seen it, is there any way of getting a link to the articles with out infringing copy rights.etc

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
07 Apr 2008 22:01 #13 by zig (zig)
Thanks everyone!!

Fr Jack I dont think its possible to get the PFK article online although you can read all about my endeavors here, and despite the persistent rumors I am actually 42:P :laugh: this is a rehash of the PFK article where its taken from with all the editing mistakes thrown in!! The pictures are better layed out in this article though especially if you download the PDF version which contains more pictures and info for all the articles featured, if you print it off and stick it together it joins together like a magazine.

You can download the PDF file here

www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/April-...zine/April-2008.html

Or you can read the shortened version here

www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/April-...th-Peter-Kirwan.html

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds