Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

my latest set up.

More
05 May 2008 21:41 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
This is my latest planted tank.
It is set up 2 weeks now and the HC has taking off nicely.

Tank; 60l. 51x36x36 (20\"x14\"x14\")
The substrate is ADA Aquasoil Amazonia.
Fertz; 5ml trace per week and 1.5ml of PMDD per day.
Co2 is about 30ppm
Hard scape is dragon rock from wackers long mile road.
Plants; HC Cuba, Riccia and java moss.
Lighting; 3x24w T5 (4.8wpg)

All the equipment is out side the tank except the return from the filter. The intake is drilled in to the back of the tank and the Co2 is diffused in a reactor before entering the tank via the return.

The intake is connected directly on to this with an added valve to empty the tank.

The HC was verry rough and half dead when i went to plant it and i ended up with hair algae. This should start to clear as the tank starts to balance.
Ii will post more pic's once the riccia has show good growth.

Darren.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2008 21:54 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Looks great, also look slike a lotta planting :-)

Keep us posted.

More
06 May 2008 10:59 #3 by goldy (goldy .)
the tank looks great. you must have been busy with the tweezers alright.

More
06 May 2008 18:36 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Yes there was plenty of tweezer action going on. I was like Edward scissorhands.
The tank was set up to view from left front corner to back right corner. This is the way i would be viewing it most of the time so what you see in the photo is not the view i would normally have.
I might change it slightly to make it more pleasing to the eye from the front.

More
06 May 2008 19:08 #5 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Looks great Darren. I've never had green fingers. My plants just about survive along with the algae.

Regards,

Ken.

More
06 May 2008 21:46 #6 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Darren
wonderful design works beautifully
very impressive
Mickey and Cath

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
07 May 2008 00:00 #7 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
very very impressive Darren, keep us posted as it progresses along looks like you did a shed load of work here, congrats looks great already
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
12 May 2008 10:38 #8 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
Hey Darren, Looks great and that HC is certainly shooting along. Do you think its because of the ADA substrate or is it just because you know what you are doing in terms of dosing, light and co2. Looking forward to seeing the tank once the ricca gets up and running.

Lead me not into temptation, For I can find it myself!

More
12 May 2008 22:39 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Denis to say i know what i am doing is a slight over statement. I think luck is on my side most of the time.
The light unit/tubes are new to me and the way i am introducing the Co2 is also new to me so i am learning as i go along.
Yes i think the ADA aquasoil has a lot to do with the success of this and my last scape.
The first planted tank i tried was all stem plants with Co2, under gravel heating (a waste of time)and Laterite. It failed miserably. I think this was because of the substrate.
On this tank i had hair algae from day 2 so i was draining the tank every 2nd day. After 2 weeks i introduced 3 shrimp that cleared the algae in 2 days. I am now doing a 50%+ water change every 3rd day. I will reduce this as long as the algae stays away.
Speaking of algae i am now getting my expected visit from mr diatom algae. Hopefully this will go in a week or so.
Before i started this tank i re read zig's posts on setting up a planted tank. A bit like a refresher course.
So far the HC has been trimmed twice and the little bit of riccia once.
I decided to slightly change the set up to be viewed from the front. The pic. is a bit messy. I took it just after rearranging so i could see what the scape looked like in a photo. What do you think? Is it better than the first?

More
12 May 2008 23:07 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I think it looks great. I would prefer the layout of the secons, it looks like the pathis leading into the caves. I see Mr Amano hard at work on the left.

More
13 May 2008 11:37 #11 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I'm in agreement with Daragh,the second scape is the better of the two and gives a better sense of a larger scale. However, and I mean this in the nicest possible way! I think if the rocks on the right where not leaning against the glass it would make the scape look a lot bigger. At the moment with the rocks leaning against the glass it sort of incorporates the tank into the scape and makes the tank more obvious. The left hand side looks perfect and the rocks in general look great.

In other news that UV unit you gave me has worked a treat and the algae bloom has disappeared. However, as it killed the algae in the water column it all settled on the plants like the ash fall out from a volcano. It took me ages to clean all the plants!

More
13 May 2008 18:08 #12 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
The rocks are kinda holding each other up. To move them off the glass means moving all of them across the back. Not an impossible task but i had trouble keeping them off the glass in the first place and they fell into this position when i put the tank into place after scapeing and planting. So i gave up and left them. I might try and hide a few props to brace them away from the glass.
Apart from that there is only a couple of small things i want to alter slightly.

Denis i never used the UV for algae before so i wasent aware of the fall out. If i knew i would have warned you. A lesson learned...

More
16 May 2008 20:44 #13 by Sean (Fr. Jack)

That's very good, I have tried the same but only the blow plants seems to be thrieving:laugh:

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!
Attachments:

More
16 May 2008 21:02 #14 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I can see where you are going wrong. You need to send me some plant cuttings for analyses so i can ponder over why only your female plants are thriving and not the males.:laugh:

More
17 May 2008 09:40 - 17 May 2008 09:43 #15 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:my latest set up.
:silly: :silly: :silly:
Sean,
I have to agree with Platty here, it's MOST unlikely that only female plants are thriving... Perhaps it's the Majorcan climate, it certainly seems to bring out the best in human females anyway!!!

Like him, I would really need extensive samples to analyse the root (ouch) of the problem as this seems to be of great concern...perhaps it's the substrate or the ferts, are you dosing with CO2 and using substrate heating? - All these issues are of prime importance if you're to manage to redress the balance of male to female plants...no, I'm afraid samples for analysis is the only way!!!
;o)

John

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 17 May 2008 09:43 by JohnH (John). Reason: The Blink smiley doesn't appear so deleted it.

More
17 May 2008 11:41 #16 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
www.analox.net/site/content_co2_dangers.php

On a serous note:

For the same reasons dosing ozone into marine tanks in a living room with double glazing is unhealthy, do you think its healthy to dose CO2 into the room via the planted tank, I heard that one of the children that lived in the basement of the monster house in Austria where effected by long tern CO2 levels, Due to low air exchange/CO2 production, by deliberately dose CO2, could one be creating a similar levels, to the benefit of the aquatic plants?

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
20 May 2008 16:36 #17 by tanks_alot (Denis Coghlan)
I wouldn't think that the level of co2 being pumped into a tank and then diffused back into the air (in the room containing the aquarium) would ever reach a level that could be toxic. I would think that the amount of co2 given off by a person respiring in a room would far exceed that produced by co2 dosing of a fish tank. However, if a fire extinguisher suddenly emptied its entire contents into a room in one go then it might be cause for concern and one might have to open a window.

More
21 May 2008 10:09 #18 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I doubt even suddenly emptying an entire 2 or 5kg would be much cause for concern in most Irish living rooms as there is pretty good ventilation in most houses with chimneys and ventilation for gas fires, etc.

Darren, that tank is looking great.

Darragh

More
22 May 2008 15:38 #19 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re:my latest set up.
Nice Jave fern there Sean!! I heard that CO2 addition can do wonders for those things in a controlled enviroment!!

Nice tank there Darren, your best yet! makes all those other fish tanks you have look boring:huh: :P :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds