Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How Important is a fertilizing substrate?

More
23 May 2008 17:38 - 23 May 2008 18:06 #1 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Hi all. This is my first post here as after a long twelve year break, I'm back to setting up a new aquarium. Yay! A lot has changed and after a month or so of reading forums, especially this one, I've decided to take the plunge and go for a planted tank. So in this respect I am a noob.

The tank I'm getting is a Juwel Rio 180. I'm going to start with the two t5 45w lights with refectors. Is this a bit too low? If it is, I can always add more lights which is probably better than spending now and having too much.

I'll be using pressurised Co2. Initially starting with the JBL easy disposable set, with an ebay purchased solenoid, and an adapter that will let me use rechargable cannisters. It fits my budget at the moment, and is flexible (I know in the long term it is more expensive).

My plan is to go for a planted cycle. Start with a heavy amount of stem plants - pretty much one plant per gallon - to deal with the ammonia and introduce fish early on to slowly let the bacteria build up. After three months (and with constant monitoring of ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, etc.) I'll remove most of the plants and replant and scape.

So to cut to the chase, if I'm using Aquagrit as the substrate, how important is it to have a fertilizer substrate, such as Tetraplant, underneath? Is it necessary, or not? While, that's my main question, any input on how I can improve the set up, would be great.

Also, there will obviously be fertilizer added as needed, plus regular water changes. Fish wise I'm not certain yet and I'm going to see what the parameters are after settling down a bit. Personally, I'd love some Boesmani, a small shoal of tetras or danios, a little group of cories and the odd shrimp or two. But, that could all change by morning.

Thanks for your input.
Last edit: 23 May 2008 18:06 by CJackson (Frank Farrell).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 May 2008 12:10 #2 by zig (zig)
I have never used the Tetraplant substrate so couldn't really comment on that one:huh:

I set up all my tanks these days with ADA Aquasoil Amazonia which is a clay based nutrient rich substrate, this is what I have had best success with. I probably wouldn't use anything else tbh, atm its considered the best out there. There is an Aquasoil version II but I would avoid that as people are having a good few problems with it, it seems to turn to dust pretty fast after a few months in the tank.

Only problem with the Aquasoil is the cost:S it aint cheap when you include delivery charges, but worth it IMHO.

For CO2 you are probably better off looking at a setup that uses a CO2 fire extinguisher, this will work out cheapest. A 5kg fire extinguisher could last a year or two on a tank your size, but obviously work with what you have if you have bought the stuff already. Consistancy is the key really with CO2.

Here's the link for the Aquasoil you can only buy it online, its not available in Ireland yet. This site has a delivery charge calculator at the checkout page so you can work out the potiential costs if you decide to go that route. Normally delivery is the same price for 2 bags as it is for one bag. As a rough calculation you would need 1 bag of 9L Aquasoil for every 60 litres so 3 bags of 9L should do the Juwel 180 at a depth of about 2 inches of substrate.

Best of luck with it and welcome onboard, have a look at some of the more dedicated planted forums as well to get some ideas or to check out Aquasoil further.

www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_...&products_id=574

More
25 May 2008 10:50 #3 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Thanks Zig. While I do aspire to be as good as you at some stage... hopefully ... And I do appreciate your experienced advice. The ADA aquasoil would set me back 170 euro, which would pretty much mean I couldn't afford any plants or fish. However, from your advice I do take it that leaving out a nutrient enriched substrate would be a mistake, so I'll go for the cheaper option (it is my first attempt afterall) and see how it goes. Hopefully on the next tank I'll be able to afford the aquasoil. Cheers.

More
26 May 2008 11:24 #4 by zig (zig)
Well I wouldn't quite say it would be a mistake,I have set up lots of aquariums with just ordinary gravel from a garden centre. You most definitely don't need an enriched substrate to have a successful and beautiful planted aquarium, but IME having a nutrient enriched substrate helps make the transition from beginner to successful outcome that much easier. But its absolutely not a necessity for success.

Don't forget to post the pics when your up and running:)

More
26 May 2008 12:04 #5 by nomad (pat murphy)
Hi CJackson,i used Aquagrit as a substrate when setting up my rio 180 and i find it fine for plants especially for getting a good root system too.I purchased it in Aquatic Village and i think it was roughly 30+euro for a 15kg tub,i only used one tub but could have done with a bit more.So rather than Aqua soil costing 170 euro and no fish or plants this way you can have it all,...........

More
27 May 2008 14:24 - 27 May 2008 14:25 #6 by Maggie (Maggie Jardine)
Hi Folks, I recently set up a Rekord 120 with Tetra and gravel,Tetra Optimat CO2, my first planted tank. I then converted my existing 60L to planted using the same. I planted Hygrophilia polysperma, Amazon swords, cryptocoryne, java moss, anubias and ludwigia replens(?) and they are growing out the tank. I was going to use liquid ferts but have found they are doing fine without. Maybe it's just the types of plants I have in there but I do think the substrate is doing the business. I would def recommend. Good luck with the tank. M.
Last edit: 27 May 2008 14:25 by Maggie (Maggie Jardine).

More
27 May 2008 20:27 #7 by CJackson (Frank Farrell)
Well, thanks for everyone's replies, but my questions seem a bit redundant as my new tank is leaking (was filling 10 litres every 20 mins just in case - after 30 litres I started to hear an ominous dripping). After emptying everything out it seems to be the seal at the bottom. I probably should have held off before ordering all those plants that are arriving on Friday. This has all happened in the last two hours - I'm being philosophical now, I'll probably wake up crying. :unsure:

Thanks for your the replies.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds