Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new to plants,need a little help please

More
02 Aug 2008 21:41 #1 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Hi all,i've finally taken the plunge and added a few plants to my tank last night,just one question really,i've already noticed algae starting to build up on the glass,just wondering if there's a way to control this or do i just keep cleaning,or will it just settle down itself in time

Cheers

Paul

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2008 21:55 #2 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Ok, you'll need to give a few more details, Paul. How much light do you have over the tank?
Wattage and bulb type and size of tank?

Secondly, are you dosing fertiliser?

Algae is a complicated subject. There are so many inter-dependant criteria that need to be right.

How many plants did you add? What sort? General advice would be to plant lots, like 75% of the substrate from the start.

I'm doing a prune of my tank tomorrow, if you're able to get to Salthill around l2 (before I go racing!) I should be able to give you some fast growing plants to help you out.

I can give you a quick run-down on the basics at the same time? Pm me in the Am?

170L Bowfront Community Tank : Heavily planted : CO2 : T5 lighting

More
02 Aug 2008 22:07 #3 by adamireland (Adam Jackson)
its always good to see people taking time to help other out.. nice one Andy ;)

More
02 Aug 2008 22:07 #4 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
hey andy,how are you,i added 3 hygrophilla siamensis&3 bacopa monnieri,no fertiliser or anything,just running a 30watt t8 bulb,the light is crap,i need to make a new hood to put more light in,its a 4ft tank,180litre,its 4ft long,18 inches high,its bow front,going 12 to about 18inches deep,dont know if i'll get out tomorrow,i'm home alone with the two kids this week,i'll see how i'm fixed in the morning

cheers

Paul

More
02 Aug 2008 22:13 #5 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
Ok so. Basically.

1. you need more light.
2. You need fertiliser.
3. You need more plants.

(this is very general)

I can advise you on the light and i can sort you out with some ferts too, to keep you going.

Let me know, i'n around for a couple of days.

@adamireland, if it wasn't for people like zig and a few more helpinh me out I'd still be farming algae. What goes around comes around. :) Thanks

More
02 Aug 2008 22:18 #6 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Thanks a million andy,i will try and get out tomorrow,you cant beat talking to an expert,especially when you havn't a clue

Cheers

Paul

More
02 Aug 2008 22:23 #7 by adamireland (Adam Jackson)
wasnt there a film called \"Pass it Forward\"? which talked about the same thing

More
03 Aug 2008 09:12 #8 by AndyT (Andy Taylor)
I'm no expert, Paul. Just a bloke who's already made every mistake you can and learned from some of them! :)

Don't panic if you can't make it today. I just realised that I have no water conditioner so I can't do anything until Aquapaws opens....
I have a tank I put the cuttings in for you anyway so they'll be grand for a while!

More
03 Aug 2008 10:07 #9 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
cheers andy,just sent you a pm before i checked here,wont be able to make it today,but i'd love to see the tank some day,imo if you've made nearly all the mistakes and are learning from them you're on the right track to being an expert:)

Thanks

Paul

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds