Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

\"Cuba\" Hemianthus callitrichoides

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2008 18:34 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
\"Cuba\" Hemianthus callitrichoides was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Hi Folks,

Thanks to everyone for their advice regarding my 24 in cube Aquarium problem,
you know who you are. I am now trying to find out if anyone has, or knows where
I can buy locally, Hemianthus callitrichoides or Flores de Cuba?

Thanks,

K
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2008 18:50 #2 by shelob (bill tiedt)
forgot to ask for any tips on growing conditions
lighting substrate etc etc
let me know tomorrow

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Aug 2008 18:58 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:\"Cuba\" Hemianthus callitrichoides
Ta for the reply, I know little about this Genus, it requires decent lighting and a substrate with a good growing medium like Laterite or Flourite but if you are using Flourite make sure it's the fine grade. HC does best with a fine substrate like sand.
Any other info would be appreciated.

K

More
16 Aug 2008 23:34 #4 by zuciok (Anna Zukova)
Hi,

I have been growing Hemiantus 'Cuba' for a good while in my tank (in 2-4mm gravel). It was growing very well and soon formed a beautiful dense carpet. The conditions are : light 1W per Litre, CO2 + tropica fertiliser, pH about 7, kH-4 and dH-8. Unfotuntaly as was mentioned before it likes quite fine substrate. I found it very tricky to clean the gravel around the plant as it did not attach very well to it.
Soon tiny peaces of the plant started floating all over the tank. I tried to attach it to the rocks, it worked only for a while. I am planning to get some fine substrate for my new tank and will try to grow this plant again. It is very beautiful and worth trying!

Best of luck

Anna

More
17 Aug 2008 00:03 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
HC Cube will stay rooted in soil substrate's and i'm sure it would attach to aquagrit as well.
I just had a 60l tank full die on me. It seemed to die from the roots up. I'm still not sure why.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2008 00:33 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Hi Anna,

Thanks for the info, shame it didn't work for you, any idea where it can be purchased in an lfs, not off the net?

Thanks

K.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2008 00:36 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Ta, makes sense using soil substrate, I had great results with plants using pond or aquatic soil without algal bloom or any other problems.

K

More
17 Aug 2008 10:58 #8 by zuciok (Anna Zukova)
Hi again,

Well, I got my 'Cuba' in Wackers pet shop, but it was over 2years ago.
I actually have been working there myself for a month in a fish section and made a great list of plants to order from Tropica but left before they arrived.
Steven, the guy who is working now in the fish section instead of me had actually got all the plants and said they were sold very well, as far as I remember Hemianthus 'Cuba' was on the order list as well.
I told Steven to stick to my plant list since there were a lot of other rare species I would like to have myself. Try to ring them, they might have another batch of plants arriving soon.
If not you can always place your order with them, thats how I got most of my plants.
The shop is on Longmile Road, Dublin.

Anna

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds