Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

New to plants

More
04 Sep 2008 12:32 #1 by hill16 (GERARD DEVEREUX)
I am going to buy some plants for my aquarium just wondering what thickness of gravel do I need and does any one use Laterite.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2008 13:33 #2 by suckers (matt lait)
hello this is Cees and i will try to answer your questions.The best thickness of gravel varies from 3cm at the front of your aquarium, and 6 a 7 cm at the back of your aquarium because you put small plants at the front and tall ones at the back.Never put large plants at the front,it will blur the vision,also dont put small plants too far apart from each other but plant them in groups.You must have two layers of gravel/sand.The bottom layer is sand mixed with ordinary clay, unfertilised of course,from about 1,5cm.On top of that you bring on your gravel.when you fill your aquarium up with water, put a binbag over the gravel.On that you put a deep dinnerpate,and pour the water in it,now the water cant whirl the gravel up.Now take the plants out of the pots with glasswool and try not to break the roots( in holland we use a coarse comb under luke-warm running water).Take the lead strip off from leaded bunches because normaly they start to rot in it.Some plants settle in straight away but some plants need 3 weeks time before you see some growth,they work first on their rootsystem before they produce leaves.Some plants need a lot of light,some dont.Read about it before you buy.There is no need for aquatic plant fertiliser in the coming months, there is plenty in the clay.Plants need 14 to 16 hours light to grow, dont do more,you only see algae grow fast.This is a very brief information,dont be afraid to ask more questions,yours,Cees.

More
05 Sep 2008 14:09 #3 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re:New to plants
I have used laterite in the past but tbh I can't say I saw much difference over ordinary gravel. The smaller the gravel the better really that you use, the larger pea sized gravel is not great for holding more delicate plants anchored. Two or Three inches would be best depth and as suckers says you can have it lower at the front than the back, this can give the tank the appearance of more depth when its planted up.

My low light tanks get no more than 10 hours per day of light, I would also recommend you fertilise any plants from the start. Tropica Plant Nutrition+ would fit the bill here at the recommended dosage for your tank size, its an all in one fertiliser, thats all you would need for any tank using lighting under 1.5WPG, keep it simple;)

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds