Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

EI dosing

More
12 Jan 2009 17:13 #1 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
I’m thinking of starting EI dosing but I don’t want to do 50% water changes every week, as it’s a 300L tank so im thinking of halving the dosing and doing 25% water changes
Dose anyone know if this would work and if it would where is the best place to get the powders?

LB

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2009 20:11 #2 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
I don't know if reducing the dosing will work with a 25% water change, I'm no expert. Try to pm zig, he's the expert. If you change water with buckets and that's the reason you don't want to do large water changes, u could try a python water changer. That's what I use. I bought it here .

What I do know is where to get the fertilisers:
Nitrate and Phosphate here
Magnesium (Magnesium Sulfate/Epsom Salts) here and Local Pharmacy
Potassium (Potassium Sulfate/Sulfate of potash) here and local garden centre, B&Q, Woodies

Trace mix here

More
12 Jan 2009 20:23 - 12 Jan 2009 20:25 #3 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Ted thanks for the info ill start working out a shopping list :)
I made my own python last week and it works great ;)
The reason I don’t want to do 50% water changes is because my tank is 300L and the water from the tap is near freezing at this time of year
So it would take hours to refill the tank without the temp dropping more than a couple of degrees :unsure:

LB
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 20:25 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran).

More
12 Jan 2009 20:51 #4 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
LimerickBandit wrote:

Ted thanks for the info ill start working out a shopping list :)
I made my own python last week and it works great ;)
The reason I don’t want to do 50% water changes is because my tank is 300L and the water from the tap is near freezing at this time of year
So it would take hours to refill the tank without the temp dropping more than a couple of degrees :unsure:

LB

I'm really thinking of going with lean dosing because of the 50% water changes and trying to maintain 30ppm CO2. I have to mix a lot of hot water to equalise the new water with the tank water. A REAL PAIN!!! Especially with the cold weather of late. The constant trimming of plants every week.... PAIN

More
12 Jan 2009 21:05 - 12 Jan 2009 21:07 #5 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Ted, when you say lean dosing do you mean something like what im thinking of doing? Half dose 25% water change, healthy plants but not growing so fast that it’s a full time job to keep them in check?

LB
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 21:07 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran).

More
12 Jan 2009 21:19 #6 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Yes, It just takes up too much time. If I was to trim the plants and do the water change in one go it takes 4-5 hours.:blink: Every week

More
12 Jan 2009 21:25 - 12 Jan 2009 21:26 #7 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
I know what you mean I spent 6 hours on my tank 1 evening last week and didn’t even get time for a water change :blink: that took another 3 hours the following day :blink: :silly: :woohoo: :blink: :silly: :woohoo:

LB
Last edit: 12 Jan 2009 21:26 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran).

More
19 Jan 2009 21:16 #8 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
ted30 wrote:

Nitrate and Phosphate here
Magnesium (Magnesium Sulfate/Epsom Salts) here and Local Pharmacy
Potassium (Potassium Sulfate/Sulfate of potash) here and local garden centre, B&Q, Woodies

Trace mix here

Of these powders should I go for the large or small amounts of them?
I’m sure some powders are used up quicker than others and the site sells them in 100,250 & 500g amounts (larger will work out cheaper in the long run

Thanks for the help

LB

More
19 Jan 2009 23:20 #9 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
lb

read this, its a good guide and a good read
www.ukaps.org/EI.htm

you will see by the guide
what amounts you will use of which

rgds

More
20 Jan 2009 17:50 #10 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Thanks 4 I have read that article a few times and I think all the other ones on the net and im still not sure :( so I decided to start with Trace elements :)

From www.aquaessentials.co.uk (thanks for the info Ted)

250g of Trace Elements mix €22.37

Traces, 15g makes 16 doses
250g = 256 doses
3 doses a week = 85 weeks ;)

So if my calculations are right and they may not be :unsure: I think this will cover basic fertilization for the next year? I will wait and see if I get results from the trace elements first . What would be the next important thing to add?

LB

More
20 Jan 2009 19:23 #11 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
LimerickBandit wrote:

Thanks 4 I have read that article a few times and I think all the other ones on the net and im still not sure :( so I decided to start with Trace elements :)

From www.aquaessentials.co.uk (thanks for the info Ted)

250g of Trace Elements mix €22.37

Traces, 15g makes 16 doses
250g = 256 doses
3 doses a week = 85 weeks ;)

So if my calculations are right and they may not be :unsure: I think this will cover basic fertilization for the next year? I will wait and see if I get results from the trace elements first . What would be the next important thing to add?

LB

I bought 250g trace elements mix and it lasted me about a year for my 240litre tank. I dose about the same amount of potassium phosphate as the trace, so 250g of that will do ya a year. Potassium Nitrate is needed in large quantities so get as much as you can afford. You can get large amounts of potassium Sulfate from B&Q, Woodies, garden centers that will last years. Magnesium Sulfate depends on your water chemistry. If your water is soft you'll need large amounts of it. If your water is hard you'll not need much magnesium sulfate, if any. I forgot to mention Calcium as well if your water is soft. Dose that in tandem with magnesium.

More
21 Jan 2009 08:21 #12 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Thanks ted

I just ordered

Potassium phosphate 250g
Potassium Nitrate 1kg

Total 38 euro

I will get the potassium Sulfate from a diy place
My water is on the hard side so I won’t worry about the Magnesium Sulfate or Calcium for now ;)

LB

More
21 Jan 2009 18:37 #13 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Just to clarify, even if you have hard water it may be low in magnesium and high in calcium. So I'd dose Magnesium just to be sure. Unless you can get a water report about your tap water detailing the levels of magnesium. I don't know the levels in my tap water so I dose magnesium just to be sure.

More
21 Jan 2009 22:52 #14 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
ted30 wrote:

Just to clarify, even if you have hard water it may be low in magnesium and high in calcium. So I'd dose Magnesium just to be sure. Unless you can get a water report about your tap water detailing the levels of magnesium. I don't know the levels in my tap water so I dose magnesium just to be sure.

So would you say that the calcium should be there but not the magnesium ted?

Thanks
LB

More
21 Jan 2009 23:19 #15 by cardinal (Lar Savage)
Replied by cardinal (Lar Savage) on topic Re:EI dosing
Good luck with this LB are you going with the lesser water changes..?

Unless you can get a water report about your tap water detailing the levels of magnesium

ted30- My water comes from a well which is run by the local Group water scheme,would they have this information or would you have to get it tested yourself by a lab..????
Lar

More
21 Jan 2009 23:44 #16 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
cardinal wrote:

Good luck with this LB are you going with the lesser water changes..?

Thanks Lar

My water changes will be 33% per week 100L from a 300L tank and I will see how I go from there
So I will probably update my tank rebuild thread from there and see if I can get dry powders to work

LB

More
24 Jan 2009 20:03 #17 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
LimerickBandit wrote:

So would you say that the calcium should be there but not the magnesium ted?

Thanks
LB

Yes in hard water. You **MIGHT** have enough Magnesium but it does no harm to slightly overdose if your not sure of the levels in your water.

More
24 Jan 2009 20:07 - 24 Jan 2009 20:08 #18 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
cardinal wrote:

ted30- My water comes from a well which is run by the local Group water scheme,would they have this information or would you have to get it tested yourself by a lab..????
Lar

Who ever tests the water might know that info. If they have contact details get on to them.

Last edit: 24 Jan 2009 20:08 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird).

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds