Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Funny observation

More
20 Feb 2007 14:35 #1 by Sushi (Sushi)
This might sound completely off the wall, but it surprised me, and seems to be right....

I keep a terrarium with phelsuma laticauda (golddust day geckos) in it adjacent to my trigon 190. As the geckos require tropical lighting I have an interpet reptiglo 5.0 over the terrarium. Over my aquarium I have interpet dayglo, and arcadia tropical freshwater lamps for the plants (java fern, dwarf water lilies, anubias, etc) and I noticed all of the plants growing towards the side of the tank facing the terrarium, so out of curiosity I moved the terrarium to the other side of the tank and over a period of maybe 2-3 weeks, the plants slowly started to turn towards it. I also noticed the fish congregating at the side of the tank where the terrarium was. I know it might sound mad but I was wondering if anybody knows whether it would be a bad idea to put one of the reptiglo tubes in my tank in replacement of one of the other tubes? I am seriously considering it as a trial just to see if it makes a difference to the plants in the tank, but I was worried about the uv output of the tube and how it might affect the fish, even though it isn't that intense I am a bit scared that it will harm them. Any suggestions or comments??

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2007 15:18 #2 by pjq (pjq)
Replied by pjq (pjq) on topic Re: Funny observation
sounds like a case of phototropism to me ??

More
20 Feb 2007 15:41 #3 by Sushi (Sushi)
Replied by Sushi (Sushi) on topic Re: Funny observation
oh I know its phototropism :) , what i was curious about was the fact that they grew towards the tube on the lizard tank, ie it seemed to be a better tube for plant growth than the 2 I had put in the tank especially to promote plant growth. I was just wondering if the reptiglo tubes give off a more suitable light spectrum to promote plant growth.

• pjq (pjq)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2007 15:58 #4 by pjq (pjq)
Replied by pjq (pjq) on topic Re: Funny observation
Plants are next on my list , so I can't really help . But it might help if you list the fish that you keep .
I suspect that the answer might be that powerful light leads to a CO2 requirement and possibly algae .
pjq

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2007 16:13 #5 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Funny observation
The uv could temporarily steralise your fish. I think the uv spectrum effects the ability to identify each other too but I could be wrong.

More
21 Feb 2007 05:39 #6 by Sushi (Sushi)
Cheers for the thoughts guys.

PJQ, I keep 3 Blue acara, a large sydontis, 4 clown loach, 6 apistogramma cacatuoides (thriving in among the plants), 2 LDA16 (still tiny), and a number af different tetras (black widow, rummy nose, lemon tetra).

I know that tube has a slightly higher uv output than a normal tube, but its still only a tropical spectrum, I just looked up its spec online, and it seems to be only marginally higher than a tropical aquarium lamp, and within the spectrum recommended on some sites, although between different sites the advice varies DRAMATICALLY!

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Feb 2007 05:55 #7 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Funny observation
Does your reptile tube have a peak in the yellow spectrum? That would explain your plants tendency to grow towards it. Have you cacs ever spawned? They will kick the living daylights out of anything. Nothing is like the wrath of a brooding female cac. I had one female once that had six fully grown angels herded into the top corner of a 250l tank.

More
21 Feb 2007 10:52 #8 by Sushi (Sushi)
No, they haven't spawned yet, and from what you've said, i'll know when they do, looking forward to that day, I do see the males displaying to each other and the females regularly, which is a really impressive display for their size!! Unfortunately I only see my tank at the weekends when I'm home from college, so i do any maintenance water changes etc on fridays, and my dad gets a list of what needs to be done while im away during the week. Yes i think that the repti tube has a high content of yelow spectrum light, so i that respact its actually quite similar to some of the specialty plant growth tubes I've seen.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds