Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

community tank

More
22 Mar 2007 15:08 #1 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/CATHALOC2/CIMG1387.jpg

this is the community tank,i want to get it ready for discus but i have angels at the momnet,so im guessing i will have to wait,plus the dad just wants a tank full discus so better wait for them to die.ie the angels

i149.photobucket.com/albums/s53/CATHALOC2/CIMG1389.jpg

o'connor

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2007 16:00 #2 by C M C (C M C)
Replied by C M C (C M C) on topic Re: community tank
nice tank :D . I've never been able to keep plants alive more than a few weeks, my plecs just love eating them to much :roll:

More
22 Mar 2007 16:14 #3 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
my dad buys them over the fone i think off a man from uk.they are very good value big box of them.you just have to tell him what type of plants you want or what type of fish you have and he sends them out.he always sends them out on the monday or tuesday and you have them by the end the week. he never sends them out at the end the week as he is afraid they wont make it in time

o'connor

More
22 Mar 2007 16:24 #4 by C M C (C M C)
Is it a company or just a guy selling them and how much do they cost on average. :?:

More
22 Mar 2007 16:29 #5 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
well my dad makes it out that its a guy,but yer its a company they are around 15 uk pounds big box,fills the whole 180letre tank and think that covers posting to.maybe there is better deals but i go for them as i know il get great quality.

o'connor

More
22 Mar 2007 17:03 #6 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
I think that could be greenline aquatics

More
22 Mar 2007 17:09 #7 by C M C (C M C)
I emailed them about a month ago and they said to me that i'd be best off not getting any plants as they were having trouble will the post and customers were complaining about dead plants.

More
22 Mar 2007 17:39 #8 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
I e-mailed the lad there about a month or more ago and he said you'd just have to order a certain day to make sure they make it in a certain amount of time, guess it's just down to luck whether they arrive in time or not.

More
22 Mar 2007 17:49 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: community tank

better wait for them to die.ie the angels

Cathal,
Don't do that...sell them - I'd be interested if the price wasn't too steep, please PM me if interested.

Also, would you ask your Dad some more info on the man selling the plants and fish from Britain...I, and I suspect others, would be interested to hear more details.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
22 Mar 2007 17:54 #10 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
I think buying plants in bulk is a bad idea. May seem cheap, but you'll end up getting some plants that aren't suited to your water conditions or fish. Best to buy separately IMO.

Regards,

Ken.

More
22 Mar 2007 18:48 #11 by C M C (C M C)
I don't know about that ken if you look at a site like java plants they show you the names of the plants that you are getting and basicly its up to you to research the rest and see if they are the right fit for your tank, the info is there you just have to do a little work. they even have sets of plants for discus tanks in bulk

More
22 Mar 2007 19:05 #12 by TomNolan (Tommy Nolan)
I was on to a lad from www.aquaticplants.eu.com/ where you can buy 'Discus Collection' etc.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2007 02:02 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: community tank
I agree with Ken and not to buy plant selections. A lot of times you just get surplus plants. I'd be especially weary of Discus Selections since they very often contain plants that can't deal with the high temperatures needed when heat treating discus.

By the way, do I see cherry barbs in your picture? They won't survive 28 and more degrees either. What size is the tank? I wouldn't put any discus in a tank of less than 300l.

More
23 Mar 2007 02:21 #14 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)

plus the dad just wants a tank full discus so better wait for them to die.ie the angels

Would he not consider keeping both Angels and Discus together. Many have done this without a problem, including myself.

People always talk about Angels carrying a disease that kill Discus, but many have been kept together without trouble.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Mar 2007 03:33 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
True, Peter. I have done this as well. However, angels are much more aggressive feeders than discus. You will have to closely observe the situation to make sure the discus get their share.

I somehow also have a problem with the term 'a tank full of discus'. Maybe just a bad choice of words but 50 l per fish should be the minimum.

More
23 Mar 2007 04:07 #16 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re: community tank

People always talk about Angels carrying a disease that kill Discus

I have been discussing this subject at length with retailers in UK and the consensus seems to be that it's far eastern bred Angels which are disease ridden, eastern european ones would appear to be OK, indeed many of them will not buy Angels from fishkeepers or breeders for fear of introducing unwanted disease from them.
My own experiences of late mirror that as all my UK-bought angels are european bred and have been going strong for well over a year now, some almost two years, whereas I bought three Singapore bred Half-Blacks a couple of months back and they were all dead within a week in their quarantine tank, other non-angels in the tank were - and still are - fine.
My advice with Angels would be to ask where they came from and if that answer cannot be given, assume the worst.

Obviously adding Discus to already healthy Angels mightn't pose the same disease problems but then you run the risk, if buying smaller Discus, of aggression from the Angels.

Different of you might have other experiences, but those are mine.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
23 Mar 2007 11:15 #17 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
C M C yes it was greenline.and no they are not cheery barbs.i have not ordered plants for a good while now and these are still left growing on.It gets to a stage where plants have to be removed not because there dead because they are taking over the tank.and yes maybe you think its a bad idea ordering plants but i have had very good success so why would i try something different.all plants suited my tank and i told the man what set up it was.if ur do some research it should be ok.and for the discus its a 180L and a tank full would mean three juvi's not really A TANK FULL :lol: and yes i know all about the trouble of angels and discus thats why i would wait.

o'connor

More
23 Mar 2007 11:41 #18 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Replied by Sean (Fr. Jack) on topic Re: community tank
Nice planted tank, one can tell the jave fern as been growing on it own steam in there, nice to see a genuine photo of plants and not fresh plants stuck in last week with super clean gravel.

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
23 Mar 2007 12:14 #19 by cathaloc2 (cathaloc2)
cheers jack.iv read ur last post on that typic was quiet entertaining

o'connor

• Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Mar 2007 04:51 #20 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
180 l is too small for discus. Breeders use 50cm cubes to get a pair to spawn. But these tanks are bare buttom and no plants either, just a spawning cone so the net contents is 125l of water. Unless you have a bigger tank planned for you shouldn't really keep discus.

Time to create page: 0.075 seconds