Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What's Your Favourite Plant And Why?

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • stretnik (stretnik)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2011 11:47 - 25 Apr 2011 11:48 #1 by stretnik (stretnik)
What's Your Favourite Plant And Why? was created by stretnik (stretnik)
Not sure if this topic has been covered but here's mine...

Ceratophyllum demersum - Hornwort

diszhal.info/english/plants/en_Ceratophyllum_demersum.php

I CANNOT GROW THIS !!

My friend Janice in Canada has it in her 30 Litre Guppy Tank and it's a frikkin Weed, I just keep growing scrawny bits.

Kev.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2011 11:48 by stretnik (stretnik).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2011 12:16 #2 by dar (darren curry)
sorry Kev i dont know the names so i will say nothing bar that one you posted is a beautiful plant and the one you posted a while back with all the holes in its leaves was my favourite, but i would slaughter both in a matter of days

i got a plant a while ago (it resembled a brain, if that is anything to go on, oh and it wasn't leaves it was tubular) and banged it in and it disintegrated over night, no kidding all i was left with was a white transparent mess. overnight i some how butchered it so that was my least favourite

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
25 Apr 2011 12:19 #3 by dar (darren curry)

Not sure if this topic has been covered.

it is nice that these topics are brought up every now and then as we get new members all the time, plus peoples opinions change all the time

Check out the angling section, it is fantastic

More
25 Apr 2011 22:11 #4 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
Kev,
I like all my plants: apomogeton crispus in the right corner, tiger lotos in the middle on which my fish love to rest, banana lotos and apomogeton madagascariensis next to it, echinodorus on the left:

but the most favourite one is the one in the back that I hope is Shinnersia rivularis (Trichocoronis rivularis) - very fast growing plant that remineds me oak tree. It's name in Polish is Debowka Meksykanska that could be translated as Mexican Oak (Oakish) plant. Originally it comes from Mexico. Its top leaves can become red or brownish in proper ligh but it requires CO2.

Attachments:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2011 23:35 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: What's Your Favourite Plant And Why?
Trichocoronis rivularis

Where did you get that?

Kev.

More
26 Apr 2011 00:23 #6 by JohnH (John)
I think there is nothing nicer to see than a 'forest' of Twisted Vallis myself - it used to grow like there was no tomorrow years ago - now I just cannot get it to grow - which is a real pity, since it's one of my all-time favourites.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
26 Apr 2011 08:47 #7 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
I have to go with Anubias nana, simply because that it seems to survive anything and that you can do so much with it, over/under water/on bog wood/floating etc.

Melander

More
26 Apr 2011 08:54 #8 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
I discovered that offer of plants in Wexford area was very limited and travelling to Dublin to buy one or two plants highly uneconomical. So, I looked for alternative sources that I found in other fishkeepers tanks in Poland :) My plants are exchanged for gifts related with Ireland and everybody seems to be happy. So, whoever flies to Poland is kindly asked to bring me something to my tank (instead of Polish sausage) :).

What's English name of this plant? Are you interested in?

Kath

More
26 Apr 2011 16:44 #9 by joey (joe watson)
they are cracking plants katherine. the limnobium especially

but i would have to say my favourite is pogostemon helferi, its even doing well in my own tank and its loach-proof (unfortunately alot of nice foreground plants weren't, no matter what i did)

More
26 Apr 2011 17:26 #10 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
In a small setup...Anubias and Java moss.

In a big setup...Giant Vallis and Giant amazon Swords.

All cheap as chips, and they have grown well for me with less than ideal lighting.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
26 Apr 2011 18:04 #11 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)
Joey, can I enroll for the surplus of your pogestemon helferi if and when you have it, please? I tried twice to have it in my tank but due to 'too big fascination' from apple snails it didn't manage to survive. Now my apple snails population is limited to 5 snails and I hope the plant will be able to show its beauty even in my tank. :)

Isn't it nice that we indicate the most common and not so expensive plants as our most favourable ones?

More
26 Apr 2011 21:03 #12 by joey (joe watson)
no problem katherine, i will possibly be getting more as i am happy with it, and can send it down with the crypt i promised

and yes, i agree that thw easiest and more common are favourable and its probably due to ease of growing therefore more enjoyment from the plant (anything more difficult to grow will just die on me and i would get too cheesed off with it anyway!)

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
26 Apr 2011 22:55 - 26 Apr 2011 22:56 #13 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: What's Your Favourite Plant And Why?

What's English name of this plant? Are you interested in?

Mexican oak leaf (Shinnersia rivularis)

I have never seen it in all my time in Fishkeeping.

Kev.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2011 22:56 by stretnik (stretnik).

More
27 Apr 2011 07:34 #14 by Katherine (Katarzyna Glebocka)

I have never seen it in all my time in Fishkeeping.

Kev.

Kev, with no doubt you will see it :) just PM me your address, please. I cannot promiss you will get it within a week or two because I am still at the stage of its multiplication but the first surpluse I have is yours.

Kath

(PS I am so happy I could surprise you!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: )

More
27 Apr 2011 16:03 #15 by bart (Bart Korfanty)

sorry Kev i dont know the names so i will say nothing bar that one you posted is a beautiful plant and the one you posted a while back with all the holes in its leaves was my favourite, but i would slaughter both in a matter of days

i got a plant a while ago (it resembled a brain, if that is anything to go on, oh and it wasn't leaves it was tubular) and banged it in and it disintegrated over night, no kidding all i was left with was a white transparent mess. overnight i some how butchered it so that was my least favourite

was it this plant by any chance?

that's common thing with cryptocorynes, when they are moved to new tank with different water parameters they lose all leaves almost instantly, sometimes change of light is enough to trigger that
no worries tho cause plant starts to grow back in no time, all u need to do is leave it alone ;)
Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2011 16:19 #16 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
As for the main question
crypts!
i love the way they colonize area due to creeping rhizome
right part of the bottom in this tank was totally overwhelmed
i like that kind of thick leafy vegetation

Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2011 16:44 #17 by Xaribdis (Lorcan O' Brien)
Haven't been keeping plants that long, but my favourite so far by quite a way is Nymphaea stellata. It grows in my tank without CO2 and only moderate lighting. The rusty red colour is a great contrast to green-leafed plants. Also, you can allow it to send up lilly pads to the surface to give shelter to fish and low-lighting plants if you wish. Really neat plant.

L
Attachments:

More
27 Apr 2011 18:28 #18 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I'd be stuck to say which ONE is my fav.......but Cryptocorynes and Aponogetons I love.

Of the Crypts....the crinkly bubbly leaved ones are great (eg crispatula). The flowers are super....and many of them I can grow in the non-aquatic state in with the frogs.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
27 Apr 2011 20:57 #19 by paddyc1 (Paddy Corrigan)
I was waiting for some smart**s to say "I love the cannabis plant man, groovy", or the Coca plant as a more exotic species !!

Mind you, you never said aquatic plants !!!!

Tallaght, Dublin 24

More
27 Apr 2011 21:07 #20 by joey (joe watson)
@ Dar, i'd say the plant that looked like a brain was the banana plant, and the one with the holes in could have been the madagascan lace plant??? both very intersting and unusual, but would be very dead in my tank no doubt (saying that, the clown loaches make my echinodoras look like the lace plant so maybe they would leave it alone if thats the look they were going for...)

More
03 May 2011 01:01 #21 by des (des)
What's Your Favourite Plant And Why ?

after some thaught on the subject, My favourite Plants are:

Anubias Coffeefolia, easy but lovely Plant, great colour contrast with other Plants...

Aponogeton Longiplumulosis, aesthetically pleasing, easy to maintain, Bulb...

Aponogeton Ulvaceus, aesthetically pleasing, easy to maintain, Bulb, super fast growing flower stem...

Aponogeton Madagascariensis, really really nice looking Plant, super fast growing, easy to maintain, Bulb...

Crinum Thaianum, a Monster of a Plant, Bulb, grows quick, looks cool flowing with the current...

Juncus Repens, unusual looking, quick growing, nice corner filler, easy...

Crinum Natans, same appeal as the Aponogetonaceae Family but even nicer Plants...

Crinum Calamistratum, simply just an amazing looking Plant, quick growing, Bulb...

Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis, cool Carpeting Plant, easy, fast(ish) growing...

Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown, lovely Plant, Easy, great colour contrast with other Plants...

Tri-Lobial Java Fern, love this Plant, Germinates from the tip of the Leaves aswell as the Rhizome, looks amazing criss crossing in the Aquarium...

Some other Semi-Aquatic (Pond / Paladarium) Plants I like are:

Iris Pseudacorus, Iris Laevigata, Zantedeschia Aethiopica, Typha Minima, Equisetum Japonicum,
Typha Angustifolia, Euphorbia palustris, Thalia Dealbata, Primula Vialii, Lysichiton Camtschatcensis...

that's it for the moment...

so being relatively new to Plants and having some experience with the above mentioned Plants (amoung others), My favourite would have to be Crinum Calamistratum

here's some shots of it in My 240, it's only new to the Aquarium but an instant favourite (and a Plant I've been after for a while)...

some other random shots

(p.s., can I get an ID on this Plant ?, it's a cool Plant, it opens and closes it's Leaves...)

Des

More
17 May 2013 20:19 - 17 May 2013 20:52 #22 by Homer (Kevin)
@Des Limnophila sessiliflora

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 17 May 2013 20:52 by Homer (Kevin).

More
17 May 2013 20:43 #23 by bmcg38 (Brian McGrath)
anubias - the led zeppelin / rolling stones of the aquatic plant world

More
18 May 2013 14:33 #24 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
Cannabis sativa does it for me, every time

Attachments:

More
18 May 2013 14:57 #25 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
"i swear, officer, all those lights and heaters are for my fishtanks!" :whistle:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Time to create page: 0.100 seconds