Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank with New Discus - Jumbo Fire Red, Dark Angel

More
12 Jan 2013 20:53 #1 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Here's my tank with new Discus added - got a great set of triplets off Discus Killester and finally added my new fire red to display tank..Think I figured out how to get the videos of my tank uploaded to youtube....here's the links and hope you like..... ;)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Jan 2013 21:30 #2 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Thats a beautiful tank, i love the colours of all the fish gonefishy. I think its a juwel vision 180 by the looks of it cause i have the same tank....If i was to be a small bit critical in your fish choice it would be that this tank is not suitable for the clowns or discus...If your just running the internal filter on that tank i can imagine your going to have problems with ammonia and nitrite because of the size and numbers of the fish you are keeping.... You might want to begin to look towards upgrade size or re-homing of some of the fish. At the moment they all seem happy and comfortable , as they grow things might change but you will be the first to notice this...

Best of luck with the new fish and worst comes to worst you have to buy a larger tank.... Thats something to look forward to :-D

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
12 Jan 2013 21:36 #3 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Hi Gilly,
Yeah, I have two filters running on the tank at this point. External and internal. I'm keeping discus for a good few years at this point and find that if you keep up your water changes and cleaning regimen you won't have many problems...touch wood! Thanks for your input though..

More
12 Jan 2013 21:41 #4 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
No problem gonefishy, i wasnt worried about water quality more than potential size. Especially on the two clown loaches.

Heres an idea of an adult clown loach, with perfect water and good feeding theres no reason why yours wouldnt grow towards this size or close

www.loaches.com/articles/images/introduc...0z.jpg/image_preview

Life is as dear to the mute creature as it is to a man. Just as one wants happiness and fears pain, just as one wants to live and not to die, so do other creatures.

More
12 Jan 2013 21:53 #5 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Wow!! Christ. I have to say, I do end up passing on a lot of my fish as they simply grow too large. Beef heart and the like fattens them up big time :) I have a black ghost knife in another tank that has gotten so big I'm now looking for a new home for him. I don't mind to be honest as I like getting them small and seeing them grow large. Thats the fun of it for me. Typically just give them back to the fish shop I buy them in when they just get too big. E.g. I just gave back a jumbo breeding pair that I got as juveniles but over the 18 months I had them they became 18cm whoppers....anyway, I'm on the case of a bigger tank but suspect I'll always want one even bigger and bigger and bigger. Typical man as my wife points out :laugh:

More
12 Jan 2013 22:12 #6 by Gilly (Sean GIllivan)
Now you know what your dealing with haha. To be honest i doubt you will have any problems off loading some adult clowns on this forum once they become bigger. Clowns are not sexually mature until there about 12 inches and it takes years of care to get them to that size... there are many on this forum who would love to try their arm at breeding clowns and would be happy to take a breeding pair off you that are anywhere close to 8 inches.... breeding a pair of clown loaches is an absolutely fantastic achievement considering the time effort and patience it takes to get them that developed in their sexual maturity. So enjoy watching them grow, keep us all updated and before you jump to bringing them back to the store post them on the selling part to this forum, im sure after 5 or six years of having fish (if you get them that far) you would prefer to see them go to a breeder on this forum who will have the exact requirements they need before you will want them going back into an over crowded pet shop display tank to be sold to some ignorant ass**le who will put them into a 60 litre without any thought of their requirements....

Part of my anxiety on this subject is because 4 years ago without thought i bought a clown loach for a 35 litre on its own with a stingray filter and the poor fish died. Only when i read about their requirements of needing to shoal and needing a large space did i realise where i went wrong and cursed the pet shop owner for not asking the basic question of "what tank do you have" and informing me of their requirements. Such a stunning fish all the same.

This is what i did with me 180 litre, i went down a much different road to you, small fish and 2 gourami.

More
12 Jan 2013 22:17 #7 by Discus-Killester (Sinisa)
Hi,

Nice tank, I love your blue diamonds :laugh:

Good luck!

More
13 Jan 2013 10:29 #8 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Love your set up Gilly, looks great.

More
13 Jan 2013 10:42 #9 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
I have moved this to the right Section.

Thanks

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
13 Jan 2013 20:49 #10 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Thanks Sean. Apologies, was more focused on uploading the links properly and forgot the section.

More
13 Jan 2013 20:56 #11 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)

Thanks Sean. Apologies, was more focused on uploading the links properly and forgot the section.

No worries mate,

This is why we are here :laugh:

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
14 Jan 2013 13:19 #12 by Patrick888 (Patrick Drummey)
Hey Brian

Beautiful tank and stunning fish. By the way, love the built in TV screen on your internal filter in second vid (@ 1:01). Fish love darts too you know!!! Ha ha

Patrick

More
14 Jan 2013 18:08 #13 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Very good Patrick. Hadn't noticed it but Tony O'Shea was throwing some great darts at the time :laugh:
Appreciate your kind comments. Brian.

Time to create page: 0.057 seconds