Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

My140L budget Oscars tank

More
07 Mar 2014 14:00 #1 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2014 14:29 #2 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Nice looking setup, however 140 litres is about minimum recommended size for one oscar so I'd be concerned that you're overstocked. Not sure about yellow lab in there either, even though he's a beaut.

More
07 Mar 2014 15:45 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
lovely fish man enjoyed ur video and love the way u used stones from the beach

More
07 Mar 2014 15:47 #4 by joemc (joe mc)
nice looking layout of the rocks and gravel, the lighting looks pretty cool too, it gives the tank a real nice feel

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
07 Mar 2014 17:08 #5 by dshamrock2000 (Dave)
Looks great :woohoo:

More
07 Mar 2014 19:49 #6 by Redser (Richard)
Have to say I really enjoyed your video, great also that you explained everything (and without a Cork accent ;) ) I agree with you about the Oscars personality it's second to none they are the puppy dog of fish.
I also have to agree with above they need a bigger tank sooner than later mine grew to 11 inches in a very short period of time. Also the purists will tut tut at African and South American Cichlids being kept in the same tank as their water requirements are so different. Having said that you seem to be doing it successfully, but I would be interested in what your water parameters are, especially the ph.
Wish you all the success with your next project and I am looking forward to your next video.

Richard.

More
07 Mar 2014 20:11 #7 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Great first video
i love your setup and how you have done this on a budget
have you the room for a 6ft tank i think i seen one in tipperary for sale @ €200

Something fishie going on here

More
07 Mar 2014 21:43 #8 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
I thought there would be some opinion on tank size and fish size. Right now at their size im happy they have the space, they are growing and non territorial.... but that will not be the case for long.... and yes they will have an upgraded aquarium in due time.

The African cichlids are kind of in there by mistake. I originally was setting up for a malawi tank, then the Oscars came along and stopped that. So far there has been no disagreement and all fish have never been sick, and they are all growing well. I am however open to the concept that the cichlids most likely will have to be removed from the set up in the future.

Regarding ph, quite honestly I gave up on that a few years ago based on the fact that whatever comes out of you tap is the water you have to work with, and no matter how much time you spend thinking about it and messing around with additives and RO,, rainwater etc in the end of the day its a loosing battle against the water coming out of your tap, and a lot less to think about by resigning to the water you have. The bog wood softens the water a little as well. I have a 180 l planted tank in the living room using the same water with rainbow fish, rummmy nose, odessa barbs, and again all fish are happy, healthy and long lived. I think most fish can adapt to water ph as long as you are not far from neutral. Think my water is 7.6

@irish-zx10r - Yes i do have space for 6 foot! Im most likely moving house in the next 4 weeks so am thinking ill do the tank upgrade then.

Thanks all for your comment.
Jason

More
04 May 2014 19:54 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
how is your tank running your fish must be getting big now any news on a upgrade?

Something fishie going on here

More
06 May 2014 18:59 #10 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Your tank looks fabulous. They do need more space but at the same time the behaviour seems to indicate they are happy. That tank could become your sump.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds