Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Blind cave tetras

More
29 Jun 2014 23:37 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

So I finally got sick of looking at my empty Vision180 and set up my cave tetra tank!

I had high hopes of carving stalagmites and stalactites out of aeroboard and painting and sealing them but that kind of fell by the wayside; I just didn't have the time, I was worried about putting in a lot of work and still being unhappy with the finished product and, as I said before, I got sick of looking at an empty tank. :pinch:

Who says fishkeepers are a patient bunch? :whistle:

What I did do is paint the back black and silicone some pieces of slate onto the back of the tank. I'm not sure how I feel about how it looks, but it is what it is...
For substrate I mixed some silver sand in with some gravel I collected from a river to get a sandy/coarse non-uniform look. I am pleased with how that turned out. It's very shallow, only about a centimetre or two deep in the deepest points. There's no plants, so why go deeper? The structure in the middle at the surface is a feature I bought from Seahorse and attached to the bar running across the tank with cable ties.
For the subdued lighting, I just flipped the reflectors upside down and therefore a minimum of light gets into the tank. The downside is, every time I open the lid to feed them, I get blinded! I had to angle them back into the tank to film this, otherwise the light level was so low, nothing on the background was showing up on film.
It's filtered with a JBL Crystalprofi 900 and I have two airstones at either end, but I'm not sure how I feel about them; I kinda feel it looks better and more serene without the bubbles. There's no heater and even without it the temperature is around 22oC. It'll be a cheap tank to run too; no heater and the light will be off most of the day :woohoo: ... cos they be blind B) In fact, even when the light is on during the day, you'd hardly notice.

As for the fish? I'm very happy with them. They're everything I hoped for; energetic, fascinating and hopefully easy to keep. It's amazing to watch them feed. Once they know the food is in the tank, they hit the floor straight away and collect it from there, so I feed them sinking pellets. Also, in spite of looking like they're blundering around the tank, they engage in some very impressive feats of navigation, considering they have no eyes. More than once I've seen them either hammer through gaps in the rock on the left hand side or thread their way along the gaps in the slate at the back.
I know they're not the most complex of creatures, but I think they're a wonder of evolution :cool:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2014 14:59 #2 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Nice 1 LJ. Cool looking set up you have. Fascinating the way they dont bang into anything and also how they find the food. Its the 1st time i saw a tank set up for these fish.

Eric

More
30 Jun 2014 15:06 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks. I wanted to try something new but simple and these guys fit the bill. When they first went into the tank they swam around like crazy. Apparently they do that in a new environment to memorize their bearings. In this clip they're pretty calm by comparison.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Jun 2014 19:17 #4 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Your tank looks fine ,i'd probably try to stick something like thin pieces of moor wood between the rocks (flat on back wall just to get rid of gaps ?)
Very nice and unusual fish in my opinion , i've seen them in SH some time ago and was gonna buy a few but unfortunately the fiancee was with me at the time, and said they would freak her out every time she looked at the tank ... Well she does wear quite strong glasses ,and ive mixed feelings looking at her every morning before she puts them on ..just saying .. :whistle:

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

More
30 Jun 2014 19:28 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

Your tank looks fine ,i'd probably try to stick something like thin pieces of moor wood between the rocks (flat on back wall just to get rid of gaps ?)
Very nice and unusual fish in my opinion , i've seen them in SH some time ago and was gonna buy a few but unfortunately the fiancee was with me at the time, and said they would freak her out every time she looked at the tank ... Well she does wear quite strong glasses ,and ive mixed feelings looking at her every morning before she puts them on ..just saying .. :whistle:

she doesn't have access to this forum, does she? :pinch: :whistle:

now if I could only get a couple of Sinocyclocheilus furcodorsalis to go with them, I'd be a very happy man :cool:

More
02 Jul 2014 22:52 #6 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Tank turned out prity well LJ, cheers for sharing, realy enjoyed the video :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
03 Jul 2014 00:45 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
It's great to see someone setting up a tank for something unusual.
Love the way the rocks look like they are floating.

As for the S. furcodorsalis, good luck with that quest. But maybe not an impossible one.

More
03 Jul 2014 08:33 #8 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks guys :cool:

It might not be an impossible quest Darren... but I'd say it'd be an expensive one. I think I remember someone online saying they paid adult arowana prices for one S. furcodorsalis!

More
03 Jul 2014 09:12 #9 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Blind cave tetras
LJ you must have bought every Blind Cave Tetra in Ireland! - I've never seen that many together before (that's not strictly true - many years ago in the Aquarium at London Zoo they had one tank, quite similarly set up and with dimmed lighting which had a really huge shoal within).
A nice 'concept' tank - well done.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
03 Jul 2014 10:03 #10 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks John. There's only 12 in there but I think with the way they dash about the place they look like more. My 3 year old grandson was counting them and got up to 29 ;)

I had plans to put in a few albino Mexican dwarf crayfish - not subterranean, I know, but at least they're Mexican and would go with the look - but I now think they'd suffer from the relentless activity of the cave tetras.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds