Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The Tanganyikan kids

More
12 Nov 2015 17:18 - 12 Nov 2015 17:23 #1 by ger310 (Ger .)
Stock so far:

All fry/juvvies,

11 Frontosa "Burundi"
5 Julidochromis Marlieri
5 Brichardi
2 Leleupi
1 Black Calvus
4 Bristlenose Pleco's (not too sure which yet)

Still to stock:
1 Gold head Compressicep
10-12 Cyprichromis Leptosoma

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)
Last edit: 12 Nov 2015 17:23 by ger310 (Ger .).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Nov 2015 23:56 #2 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
very nice

Something fishie going on here

More
13 Nov 2015 01:59 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic The Tanganyikan kids
Looks cool mate good luck with them

More
13 Nov 2015 11:25 #4 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Nice tank and happy to see a Tang tank .... for leptosomas I think Derek Doyle has very nice good quality fish

More
13 Nov 2015 15:38 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Lovely tank and great fish ger

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
13 Nov 2015 22:50 #6 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic The Tanganyikan kids

Nice tank and happy to see a Tang tank .... for leptosomas I think Derek Doyle has very nice good quality fish

Cheers dude........any chance you've got a contact number for Derek Doyle? thanks

More
13 Nov 2015 22:59 #7 by ger310 (Ger .)
Cheers lads.......i'm going to add some more stones at the back/middle of the tank maybe 4-5 high as the Frontosa's are hanging around there at the moment but are a little hard to see fully as they are down near the substrate a fair bit......hopefully building up some stones with a few hiding spots will make them hang around a little more up in the tank so I can see them more...........I'll update when there is a bit of growth on them,cheers

Ger

More
14 Nov 2015 14:33 #8 by Santiagovalcarcel (Santiago)
Sent you PM with details

Cheers dude........any chance you've got a contact number for Derek Doyle? thanks

More
23 Jan 2016 23:00 #9 by ger310 (Ger .)
Ok just over two months on and "The Tanganyikan kids" are ehh,well producing kids (ahh they grow up so quick ha)!!..........No plans for the fry and I wouldn't be overly optimistic for them surviving in the tank but I've said that before and was wrong...............The Brichardi's (as people who have kept them would know only too well) have being little feckers at times since I set up this tank but now they have turned into absolute deranged lunatics ha!!

Here's a short video of the fry free swimming and i'll do a short video of the rest of the inhabitants later in the week.........The Frontosa's fin colour's in natural light is really nice I must say :)

More
23 Jan 2016 23:23 #10 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I am having issues with brichardi in my tanganyikan community tank they are bullies to put it mildly shame because they are such gorgeous fish.

I added 3 small frontosa s a week ago settleing in nicely waiting for a shop to get me 2 more then grow them on a bit and upgrade my tank next year.

Great video mate it's always satisfieing seeing free swimming fry in a tank.

Regards
Craig

More
24 Jan 2016 22:58 - 24 Jan 2016 23:00 #11 by ger310 (Ger .)

I am having issues with brichardi in my tanganyikan community tank they are bullies to put it mildly shame because they are such gorgeous fish.

I added 3 small frontosa s a week ago settleing in nicely waiting for a shop to get me 2 more then grow them on a bit and upgrade my tank next year.

Great video mate it's always satisfieing seeing free swimming fry in a tank.

Regards
Craig

Yeh they are right little pests at times dude......they had a small group of Multies I have harassed around the clock for a time but things are a bit better now that I've moved a few things around and got a few tiny shells for the shellies (there fry is down the other end of the tank thankfully!!)..........Though even though they can drive me mad with there "attitude" they have grown on me I have to say :)

Frontosa's are smashing looking fish,a great addition to any Tanganyikan set up,but they do grow big and fast especially in the first year so keep that in mind ok

Your right about the seeing fry......it will always give yeh a bit of a buzz :)........they all seemed to have lasted another night in there so i'm gonna get some Artemia tomorrow so with a bit of food inside them they might have a better chance of survival ( Hmm now were did I put that turkey baster?!)

Ger

Last edit: 24 Jan 2016 23:00 by ger310 (Ger .).

More
10 Feb 2016 15:16 #12 by ger310 (Ger .)
Ok a couple of weeks on from finding Brichardi fry in the tank I am pleased to say that it looks like all have survived,mainly due to the excellence of there parents i'd say........like most Cichlids they are ultra protective but it's the way in which they have tended to there fry that I have really enjoyed :)......when anything (including me) come anywhere within a foot of them they firstly guide them down to the safety of shells before having a go at the intruder!!....also over the couple of weeks I've enjoyed how as they have got bigger they have allowed them to swim that little bit higher in the tank,while watching over them constantly!! .....even when food goes in they will take turns in leaving the fry,but still never going far...........I know this is familiar to lots on here,myself included but there is something a bit different with these......they kind of remind me of a female Angel I had years ago and how she tended to her fry and how she taught them..........really impressed :)

Here's a quick video of them now....you can see they are starting to take shape:

More
10 Feb 2016 16:27 #13 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Must be something in the water mine have bread aswell :)

More
10 Feb 2016 21:56 #14 by ger310 (Ger .)

Must be something in the water mine have bread aswell :)

Batten down the hatches dude!!! ;)

Ger

More
07 Mar 2016 13:07 #15 by ger310 (Ger .)
Well 3-4 weeks on and the roughly thirty 5 week old Brichardi fry are still doing great.......unfortunately they are now joined by another roughly fifty 1 week old Brichardi fry!!.....Gonna have to be changes!!

Ger

More
07 Mar 2016 16:28 #16 by alan 64 (alan)
Theres a good few of them left nice video

More
08 Mar 2016 12:58 #17 by ger310 (Ger .)

Theres a good few of them left nice video

Yeh so far I think I didn't lose any from both spawns.........i'm gonna have to move the parents on pretty soon as the tank will be overrun with them soon enough!!.......Gonna be changing the tank set up in a couple of months so that's another reason I don't want any more fry popping up!!

Ger

More
08 Mar 2016 15:36 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
what ye gonna change the set up too this time ger

More
08 Mar 2016 23:13 #19 by ger310 (Ger .)

what ye gonna change the set up too this time ger

If I can get hold of a decent sized group of Red bellied Piranha's then that will be the next set up.........if not I have 2 other set up's/fish I have in mind......one is a Tropheus set up as the last Tropheus set up I had is still my all time favorite......I had a couple of Eel in that set up and they were the bizz....Tropheus Moliro "firecrackers" are the one's on my radar...............the second one I have in mind is a small to medium Silver Arowana set up.....tank mates i'm not sure of yet!!

Ger

More
08 Mar 2016 23:49 #20 by alan 64 (alan)
The tropheus would be mint ger havnt seen a decent set up in a while so u could pull that off do u know anyone with good stock of them i know kieran that use to be on here had a mate that use to breed them

More
09 Mar 2016 00:14 #21 by ger310 (Ger .)

The tropheus would be mint ger havnt seen a decent set up in a while so u could pull that off do u know anyone with good stock of them i know kieran that use to be on here had a mate that use to breed them

Yeh the guy I got my last Tropheus off (Tropheus Duboisi's) was also breeding Moliro's at the time and his name was Ciaran funny enough aswell.........I think we might be thinking 'somehow' of the same person!! anyway IF I go down the Tropheus route i'd have no problem getting his number and I also kind of remember were he lives so we will see in a while what happens!!

I thought I had a couple of video's of my last set up with Tropheus Duboisi's and a couple of Eel in youtube but I couldn't find them there but here's a vid I found of when I was setting the tank up first.........EEL ROCK :cool:

More
09 Mar 2016 02:12 #22 by alan 64 (alan)
Realy cool what lighting had u got on it

More
09 Mar 2016 21:09 #23 by ger310 (Ger .)

Realy cool what lighting had u got on it

The same light unit I have on it now.......That vid I had the 50w blue LED's on........it also has two t5's on the unit.......I have 28w bulbs on it now and I use to have 80w bulbs but they were just too much on my eyes so they are down the shed a good while now...............and now in saying all that I don't really turn on the LED's,tubes or both at all these days so it probably doesn't matter what wattage is on it to be honest!!

Another Tropheus set up could defo be the next one alright as I went youtubing loads of more Tropheus video's last night and this morning and they are super fish to keep :).....There is another species of Tanganyikan Eel I really want to keep aswell so we will see over the coming months what transpires...........I guy I work with was telling me earlier of a spot he knows were I could get some really large stones (20-40cm wide) so I might have a couple of different ideas in me head!!

Ger

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds