Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Pelvicachromis taeniatus "nigerian red" (vid)

More
12 May 2012 09:06 - 11 Jan 2013 17:00 #1 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Yet another species which is rarely available and often ignored as young specimens are very similar to common kribensis (the price mark is usually ridiculous tho).
Breeding behavior very similar to all the kribs. Soft and acidic water required (pH around 6,5). What differs them is that the eggs are very sensitive to nitrate levels and i had unsuccessful spawning couple of times. So water has to be spot on.
To keep the water as clean as possible for long time, without large changes i put massive amount of fast growing plants into breeding tank.

Couldn't take better pics, sorry :(

Attachments:
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 17:00 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2012 09:16 #2 by minnion (jimmy white)
nice looking fish i've never seen them before thanks for shareing :cool:

More
01 Sep 2012 17:51 #3 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Some more photos few months later, different batches as well.

Attachments:

More
01 Sep 2012 18:09 #4 by des (des)
fairplay to Ya Bart
Your some Man for the Breeding, so You are
they look great
nice Photo's too

Des

More
01 Sep 2012 19:47 #5 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Bart - you would have done well in the breeders team classes at the show, nice pics
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
01 Sep 2012 20:53 #6 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Nice one mate. I'm currently thinking of getting a nice West African species myself.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
01 Sep 2012 22:29 #7 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Great stuff. Congrats.

These are really superb fish.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
01 Sep 2012 22:59 #8 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Very, very nice Bart, as you know I would not mind getting a few of these from you in the future when I can cater for them.

Thanks for sharing!

Andreas

More
01 Sep 2012 23:04 #9 by Jim (Jim Lawlor)
Gorgeous fish Bart - I never knew there were "other" Kribs out there.

Your growing on tanks & fry are first class as well !

More
02 Sep 2012 12:55 - 02 Sep 2012 12:59 #10 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Thanks everyone

@Andrew
Unfortunately was not able to attend the show :-((

@Jim
Have look there

www.lem.net/alf/css-westafr.htm
Last edit: 02 Sep 2012 12:59 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

More
02 Sep 2012 13:37 #11 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Although many people simply pass by Krib tanks, that is a pity as they (the common old krib) is still a superb little fish which, along with the other 'Kribs' has some of the most interesting breeding behaviour to be observed (if the parents are left to raise the fry that is).

There are some great riverine cichlids from africa, and it is good to see that Bart is one of the people who shows a great interest in them.

ian

More
02 Sep 2012 17:39 #12 by Axolotl (mark gethings)
Wow, these guys are gorgeous. Kribensis is my favorite fish, I have always kept them since I started fish keeping and always will. I would love to get my hands on some of these, I also really want to get some Nanochromis transvestitus at some stage too!

More
02 Sep 2012 18:58 #13 by fishmama (Maria Kennedy)
Gorgeous fish, congrats, I wish i could snatch a couple from you.
I just got myself a couple of kribs and love them, too bad a catfish entered the cave where they had nested and I believe ate all the eggs :ohmy: It was such a small entrance I'd never believed he could enter, I have to find a new space for the kribs.. or get the fry pan out for the catfish :evil:
(just kidding, I am vegetarian!)

More
23 Dec 2012 20:29 - 23 Dec 2012 22:15 #14 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
duplicate post, please remove
Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 22:15 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

More
23 Dec 2012 20:32 - 23 Dec 2012 22:13 #15 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Just some photo update on this project.

The first batch is old enough to start display some serious breeding behavior and colors. Of course the photos don't do them justice. Also bare glass setup doesn't helb ;)

Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 22:13 by bart (Bart Korfanty).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Dec 2012 21:14 #16 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Pelvicachromis taeniatus "nigerian red" (update)
Sweet!

Kev.

More
24 Dec 2012 00:12 #17 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Wow, fantastic colours Bart!

Almost thought the female was a male for a second there, good stuff.

Melander

More
24 Dec 2012 00:26 #18 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Brilliant. Great fish and great success there Bart.

keep up the good work.

ian

More
11 Jan 2013 16:39 #19 by bart (Bart Korfanty)

More
11 Jan 2013 19:51 #20 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Just short vid

Good to keep these journals of progression going.

More
12 Jan 2013 13:36 #21 by cichlidheaven (graham wynne)
fab fish.
if not for the water limits with ph etc would love to keep them , some serious colour when adult, do they shoal well when adult

More
12 Jan 2013 18:20 #22 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
I'm afraid they don't shoal at all. In this case we are talking 1 pair in something like 100l tank. I have 2 adult pairs in 400l and it's equally divided between them with frequent skirmishes in nomansland area. It doesn't mean that they are aggressive. They are just territorial and competing within the species. Other fish are completely ignored until they try to get to close to hiding/spawning spot. Usually cave, or hole dug under the stone/root. In my case coconut shells.

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds