Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Cory eggs!

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Didihno (Didihno)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 May 2007 15:01 #1 by Didihno (Didihno)
Cory eggs! was created by Didihno (Didihno)
Monday I did something I rarely do, I tossed 6 litres of cool spring water into my community tank. I needed the bottle.

Today there are little white eggs attached to both my internal filters and some plants! The corys are the only possible culprits.

Now i'm wondering if I'll try to grow them, but to be honest I'd say its beyond my skills at the moment.

Still, the first eggs I've ever seen in any of my tanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2007 17:20 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Congrats, introducing colder water as part of a water change is a trigger to many corys. The other tank mates and maybe even the corys will eat the eggs. If you want to save them remove them to a breeding net within the tank and they will hatch in 3 or four days. 1 day after hatching feed them liqufry for egg layers. If you get that far let us know.

Daragh

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2007 01:32 #3 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Cory eggs!
best way to get them off the glas is a razor blade. Most corys will take brineshrimp as a first food. I hatch mine in plastic ice cream boxes with an airstone in it.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2007 06:32 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: Cory eggs!
They`re white eggs. There probably infertile or covered in fungus.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 May 2007 11:16 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Cory eggs!

They`re white eggs. There probably infertile or covered in fungus.

There are some clear eggs too.

More
09 May 2007 16:11 #6 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Fungused eggs will be easy spotted they will look hairy, some corys white eggs will hatch, I have not bred albinos so I dont know, but with Adolfi I found half the eggs I though infertile hatched perfectly.

Again if you will to save them get them out of the main tank, either with a razor blade as suggested or roll them off the glass with your finger, they are quite sticky and will attched to you finger tips then release them int he net or another container/tank filled with original tank water and a drop of meth blue if you have it, change 10% of the water in the separate container for more tank water every day.

Daragh

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 May 2007 01:04 #7 by Didihno (Didihno)
When I get home tonight I'll take what eggs are left (about 20) into a fry net and see what happens.

More
17 May 2007 02:13 #8 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Any joy with the eggs Didi ?

I have only 2 Corys but would love to see them breed. Have a pair of large Dollars who go at it gracefully almost every other day but have a feeling they are the same sex.....typical.

Are the Cory eggs very obvious or do you have to search for them ?

Processor.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 May 2007 03:34 #9 by Didihno (Didihno)

Any joy with the eggs Didi ?

I have only 2 Corys but would love to see them breed. Have a pair of large Dollars who go at it gracefully almost every other day but have a feeling they are the same sex.....typical.

Are the Cory eggs very obvious or do you have to search for them ?

Processor.

When I got home they were all gone, hoovered up by the pleco and the SAE no doubt.

There have been two further batches though and I will put the last nights away if they are still there tonight. Need to get liquifry though.
Also looking at a brine shrimp hatchery.

More
17 May 2007 03:42 #10 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Dont worry about a brineshrimp hatchery yet. They will manage on Liquifry 2 and then soaked flake. BS are better but there is no absolute need if you just want to raise a few.

Daragh

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 May 2007 06:33 #11 by Didihno (Didihno)

Dont worry about a brineshrimp hatchery yet. They will manage on Liquifry 2 and then soaked flake. BS are better but there is no absolute need if you just want to raise a few.

Daragh

Thanks for that.
I have been toying with the BS hatchery idea for a while.
All fish love them do they not?

More
17 May 2007 07:42 #12 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Yes, there are not many fish that say now to fresh BS. I just meant don't go getting one just for the Cory eggs.

The in tank hatchery by NT labs is excellent as are there eggs.

Daragh

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 00:38 #13 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
BS are eaten by most fish. No need for the hatchery. I think it's wasted money. Take the shells of the eggs and A diy air bubbles in a 1l water bubble job will be more than adequate

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 02:58 #14 by Didihno (Didihno)
Well but then you have to collect them and wash them and then squirt them into the tank.....or you could set up the in-tank hatchery.....

I've seen them for about €15-20.
Considering I bought a tiny bottle of Liquifry 1 yesterday for €12......

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 03:21 #15 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Unless you feed them to saltwater fish you will have to wash them anyway. If you decapsulate them before hatching them you will have no probs. Brineshrimp capsules can block the dihestive track in fry so you are better off to decapsulate them anyway. Hatch rate is considerably higher anyway and the nauplii will be more nutritious since they diddn't expand any energy hatching. All you need is an airpump, brineshrimp sieve and a couple of 1l bottles. It couldn't be easier. If you want to get them near the fry just attach a bit of 6mm airhose to a syringe, suck up the nauplii and squirt away.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 03:26 #16 by Didihno (Didihno)
Holger I'm tallking about the in-tank hatcheries.
Surely they don't allow salt water to mix with tank water?

I'm not sure how this is acheived but thats what I'd be worried about, the possibility of a salt water leak.

Oh and I have seen decapsulated eggs for sale too.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 03:29 #17 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
In tank hatcheries? I have no idea how they could work in freshwater tanks and how you can extract the nauplii from the saltwater where you hatch them directly into your tank. Do you have a link so I can see what you have in mind?

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 05:24 #18 by Didihno (Didihno)
Hi Holger,
Try here:

cgi.ebay.com/Aquarium-Hatch-n-Feeder-Bri...eZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

There are a few different types, there is a smaller round one that sits on the bottom, opaque black.

More
18 May 2007 06:28 #19 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
That type you linked does not always get good press on other forums, the type I meant was

cgi.ebay.co.uk/NT-LABS-BRINE-SHRIMP-HATC...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it is much cheaper and very easy to use, you can hide it at the back of the tank or where ever. NT Labs' eggs are sold in liquid form already decapsulated and have a great hatch rate.

Raiseing BS in a 7Up bottle or similar is easy too, just I find it messy and you have to do it in a warm place etc.

Daragh

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 06:42 #20 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Hi Didihno
I don't see how the nauplii will be transferred from the hatchery into the tank. I wouldn't risk it anyway since you have the risk of saltwater escaping into your tank.

@Daragh,
is there a heater in the NT lab hatchery.
Anyway I find room temp more than adequate to hatch brineshrimp. Decapsulated nauplii hatch very fast anyway.

More
18 May 2007 07:16 #21 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Hi

They don't transfer into the tank, it is just a hatcher. You strain the water (500ml) and put in the BS manually, through out (or re-use) the saltwater and start again, I usually start a new one about every three days, so every three days one of my tanks gets a dose of fresh BS. Room temp here, in winter anyway, would not hatch BS with a good hatch rate for me.

Daragh

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 08:28 #22 by Didihno (Didihno)
But the description clearly says that the nauplii swim into the tank?

"After 18-24 hours, you may see hatched shrimp in the hatching chamber. They stay there for a while, then they gradually move into the collection chamber. The shrimp eventually swim out through the fish guard into the aquarium."

I also saw one on youtube, do a search for cichlids brine shrimp I suppose to see it, they swim right out of the device and are snapped up by waiting fish! I cannot view youtube in work, but i'll try find it later.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 09:22 #23 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
And how does that system keep out the saltwater? If it's possible I'd love to know how. Not saying that it's impossible but have my doubts...

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
18 May 2007 15:49 #24 by Didihno (Didihno)
I don't know Holger, I don't know.

Sounds too good to be true.

Here is the link I refered to earlier.
Enjoy!
(The Apistogramma does!)

Oh and while you're at it, isn't this cool?!!!

More
18 May 2007 17:11 #25 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
And here's what a brineshrimp looks like magnified by 200. Stuck this up on youtube a while ago and it was been watched over 500 times - weird!

Daragh

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Aug 2007 11:24 #26 by Didihno (Didihno)
Bought myself a hatchery of the type I saw on youtube.
It came from ebay Germany and cost about €20 delivered.
This thing is like a microwave tortilla heater, a plastic round flat device, with a hole in the middle where the only light gets in (which attracts the shrimp out).
I am waiting now on my 'Fresh water fairy shrimp' eggs to arrive from Thailand.
I'll install the whole thing in my fry tank and see what happens.
Looking forward to this!

More
13 Aug 2007 17:54 #27 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Have not seen the type you mentioned, should be interesting, let's know ho wyou get on. now all you need is another 6 litres of spring water :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.088 seconds