Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sterbai Corys spawned

More
27 Aug 2012 18:39 #1 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Right lads,I'm in unknown waters again,my Corys spawned for me this evening,I have two questions,1 will they only lay eggs if there viable? 2 what is the best way to look after them? I have retrieved around 20 so far and have them in a separate tank what do I do next?

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2012 19:16 #2 by john gannon (John Gannon)
im not to sure about the viable part im sure someone with more experience in this will come on and let you know but for know if you put an airstone in with them ant try keep the water gently moving around them to try stop any fungus growing .if the eggs are a creamish colour they should be ok ,when they are pure shite they are generally fungused or dead.some people use meth blue or almondleaves to help as well
john

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

More
27 Aug 2012 19:40 #3 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers john,have it covered,meth blue is in and I've a good flow over the water,time will tell now,and to Sean thanks for the breeding pair mate.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
30 Aug 2012 18:38 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Well just had a look in the tank the eggs are in,and there's 2 little tails after appearing from 2 eggs,and of course it's the ones that fell to the bottom of the tank,exciting times ahead,just hope I haven't jinxed it,so finger crossed.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
30 Aug 2012 19:02 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic sterbai Corys spawned
That's good news indeed - always an exciting time when new eggs start to hatch, it's almost magical!
Let us know how things progress.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
30 Aug 2012 19:20 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Will do.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
30 Aug 2012 21:24 #7 by ghart (Greg Hart)
I have a few Sterbi Corys for sometime now and never realised they had spawned until I noticed a number of additional very small ones scurring about the gravel with the parents.I now more than doubled my stock of corys and all are doing well.
The parents had managed to raised a small number of the young in the tank under the various pieces of bogwood.
Nature will always find a way.

Greg

More
31 Aug 2012 11:09 #8 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
That's great man,tell you there fast becoming one of my favorite fish,love watching them do there thing,and there great for keeping the substrate clean.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
31 Aug 2012 12:27 #9 by jwm (sean sean)
They are a cracking little fish, i had a spawn, eggs got hammered by tank mates, but its amazing, the big happy head looking at any fish that reproduce under your care.

john

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.

More
31 Aug 2012 19:01 #10 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Well 5 days later and the last of the eggs are after hatching I'd say I have around 20 25 fry,now trying to find the little feckers!

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
31 Aug 2012 19:45 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
lol fun fun fun well done on the spawn and good luck on the raising of them, keep us informed

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
31 Aug 2012 19:57 #12 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers,will do.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
01 Sep 2012 08:55 #13 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Great stuff. if you want the parents to do there thing again just add abit of cooler water when doing a water change...it gets them going mimicking the rainfalls in the wild.
Oh and we all expect pics now of those corys,ensure you keep the tank clean still, they will still be suspectable to water changes,change in temps and any leftover food..but youve the hard part done now.Well done.
Gavin

More
01 Sep 2012 09:57 #14 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers,I think a video might be the best option,there very small for the camera on the phone,il keep you posted.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
02 Sep 2012 18:57 #15 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Well counted 18 in the tank and theyseem to be doing well,there not very active,but I'd say that's down to not wanting to be eaten by preaditors,can you spot them in the photo

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN
Attachments:

More
02 Sep 2012 19:33 - 02 Sep 2012 19:35 #16 by JohnH (John)
They are just about ready to start being fed now - the yolk-sacs are almost depleted. The main reason for their inactivity is that they don't start shuffling around much until they are what the experts say is 'free-swimming'.
Newly-hatched brine shrimp is by far the best started food (in my opinion - if you can get some Seahorse Aquariums should be able to help you out there) or microworms as a second option.
Of course you can feed proprietary fry food, but be very cautious not to overfeed. You can carefully syphon off the uneaten stuff using a short length of aquarium airline.
Well done, and thanks for keeping the Forum informed of the progress.

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 02 Sep 2012 19:35 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

More
02 Sep 2012 23:26 #17 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic sterbai Corys spawned
well done.love these fish have 7 in my tank would love if they spawned

More
03 Sep 2012 08:59 - 03 Sep 2012 10:10 #18 by JohnH (John)

well done.love these fish have 7 in my tank would love if they spawned

It really isn't rocket science (although back in the days of yore we hadn't realised quite how easy it is to 'trigger' them).
Basically - and this is what I do with Corys (it doesn't always work mind, especially with wild-caught ones) is to skip a water change and reduce the flow from the filter/aeration then during the second week do a fairly large percentage water change but with much cooler water - even as low as 60f won't harm them. This, as has been suggested mimics a sudden downpour and will set off a reaction in the fish. I think this is because, in the wild, a sudden increase of water will flood the plants at the water's edge and it is on these plants they will lay their eggs out of the way of many, but not all, predators. This is why, I think, Corys will lay their eggs on whatever the highest object is in the tank, mostly the upper sides of the tank.

Now comes the part where you can intervene, collect as many of the eggs as possible - but here is a tip, leave them for a couple of hours before you try to collect them. during this period the eggs will 'harden' and be a lot easier to harvest then (I have tried to collect them almost as they are laid and they are very vulnerable to bursting at this stage).

I used to use one of those netting breeding traps but will now experiment with a hew breeding yoke I've obtained for future attempts (watch this space).
When the eggs start to hatch and little tails are seem wriggling out of the eggs is time to set up your brineshrimp hatchery. The fry won't be looking for food until they are actually on the move though, so don't be tempted to offer any food until that stage. They subsist on the reserves of nourishment from within the egg - called the 'yolk-sac'.

However, once they are 'free-swimming' they are constantly on the lookout for food and really (if possible) need feeding very often throughout the daylight hours (or when you have your tank lights on).
I really love to see the fry which have gorged on brineshrimp - you can see their little bellies extended and the pink colour of the shrimp showing through their belly walls!

That's about it - when they have grown large enough to no longer be considered a mouthful of grup to your other tank residents you'll be able to release them back into your tank then start all over again.

Give it a try, it's pretty easy (and extremely enjoyable to witness).
And don't forget to tell us here your experiences (with pictures for those who want to see them!).

John

Addition:
These are only my method(s), I know we have other well-respected Forum and Club members who also regularly breed Corys - your observations are cordially welcomed as well.

ITFS member.

Last edit: 03 Sep 2012 10:10 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

More
03 Sep 2012 09:59 #19 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I pulled the eggs as soon as she laid them,but. As you say there quite fragile, there also very sticky,and this can work to your advantage if you have a gental touch,simply put your finger on the two or so eggs and gently roll them and they should stick to your finger then transfer them to a glass tumbler full of tank water,I had to do this because of two crafty angels that seemed to have copped on to the spawn and were eating them as quick as she could lay.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
03 Sep 2012 10:15 - 03 Sep 2012 10:19 #20 by JohnH (John)
When I have needed to rescue the eggs from other tank mates (not to mention the Corys themselves when they take a break from their vigorous activities) and the eggs are still at the 'soft' stage I tend to use what we used, in the old days, know as a 'safety razor blade (ie it's a sharp bladed one side with a protected edge on the other). I found I could do less damage to them this way and most of the still-adhesive eggs will stick onto the blade.

John

Edit,
One Forum member - who used to breed many many Corys would put a couple of Amano Shrimps in with the collected eggs (once hardened) and these would 'tend' to the eggs very well, keeping them clean and devouring the infertile ones as they started to deteriorate. I have done the same but using Cherry Shrimps and found they would do the same job admirably.

ITFS member.

Last edit: 03 Sep 2012 10:19 by JohnH (John). Reason: addition

More
03 Sep 2012 10:22 - 05 Sep 2012 07:15 #21 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
must try that shrimp trick John, nice one

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Last edit: 05 Sep 2012 07:15 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie). Reason: e&oe

More
04 Sep 2012 22:22 #22 by ck1 (chris)
Replied by ck1 (chris) on topic sterbai Corys spawned
great advice i will give it a go over the next few weeks

More
05 Sep 2012 17:12 #23 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Good news, congrats on the fry!

Cories are great little fish and i.m.o worthy of a much higher status than that of a "clean up crew".

Very good advice from John there too.

I use the same method, collecting eggs with a razor and put them in a breeding net with an air-stone in the same tank as the parents. I have however noticed that I get quite allot of fry surviving without collection if there is enough plants in the tank anyway (depending on tank-mates and spawning location).

I have however had major problems with my Schultzei fry, and I believe that the loss of fry have derived from a lack of quality/enough food. So this could be something to watch out for.

Good luck with the little ones!

Melander

More
05 Sep 2012 17:52 #24 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Thanks,there coming on well now,twice daily with freshly hatched brine shrimp and a good siphon afterwards.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
06 Sep 2012 18:52 #25 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
They seem to have there colour early on :)

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN
Attachments:

More
14 Sep 2012 05:35 #26 by Helen P (Helen Prout)
I came across a good web-site, with tips for spawning corys.

Particularly good are their step-by-step tips for simulating the rainy season

www.corydoras.net/rainyseason.aspx

Most of the points they make, have already been made in this thread, but if anyone is having a particularly difficult time getting their corys to spawn, then they might find this link useful!

More
14 Sep 2012 21:36 #27 by JohnH (John)
That was really good see - thanks, Helen, for finding it and for sharing it with us.

John

ITFS member.

More
19 Oct 2012 19:09 #28 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Just a video up date on these, and the kribs,
This is my grow out tank and I have a 6 delphax in here to,enjoy :cheer:

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds