Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

ancistrus fry

More
30 Aug 2012 21:58 - 30 Aug 2012 22:03 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
hi guys
I recently got a pair of ancistrus which i think are l071 or possibly l088 but they have bred for me, now this is my first time breeding bristlenoses any hints advice re rearing the fry which are now free swimming and seem to be happily eating my spirinula and earthworm tablets

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep
Last edit: 30 Aug 2012 22:03 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Aug 2012 23:39 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic ancistrus fry
A thin slice of cucumber (changed daily) always worked with Ancistrus fry for me.
Also a par-boiled Brussels Sprout was also very good, but once again, changed daily.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 Aug 2012 00:12 - 31 Aug 2012 00:12 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
cucumber ok but brussel sprouts yucccccckkkk :sick: :sick:

Last edit: 31 Aug 2012 00:12 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie).

More
31 Aug 2012 00:24 #4 by JohnH (John)
They have the distinct advantage of being able to be frozen, and therefore little waste ensues.
I loathe them with a passion, can't even stand the smell of them cooking, but someone likes them (as do the Plecos).

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2012 00:28 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
lol thanks mate will try them then but like yourself i cant even stand the smell of them really naff how long do you boil em for till soft or semi firm

More
31 Aug 2012 10:59 #6 by JohnH (John)
I use an old cup - saved for that purpose - and cover one sprout with boiling water then give it 30secs at full power in the microwave. But...mine is an old machine and possibly modern-day ones would do the job more quickly. It might be worth your experimenting.

WARNING

If they 'cook' for too long they will explode in the water, making an awful mess of the inside of the microwave as little bits of sprout burst forth and literally cover the inside!
And...once dry these particles are a difficult item to remove!!!

(From personal experience).

You really only want to 'blanch' the sprout, bear in mind that the ones I use are frozen - possibly a 'fresh' (ie defrosted) one would blanch sufficiently merely with the boiling water ploy.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 Aug 2012 13:32 #7 by Acara (Dave Walters)
Replied by Acara (Dave Walters) on topic ancistrus fry
Keep them away from angelfish!

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
31 Aug 2012 19:08 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
cheers johnh will try not to explode them, and Acara they are safe from angels in a tank by themselves with the parents

More
01 Sep 2012 09:18 #9 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
I find Cumcumber is best, no need to blanch it either. Drop it in the evening and leave overnight.they will munch down on it, remove it the next morning. You wont see the fry too much if there are other fish in with them but you will see them sometimes up along the glass and darting around.
The mating ritual is quite interesting also,esp when you get to see all the tails wiggling at the egg stage.
Gavin

More
01 Sep 2012 15:46 #10 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Feeding vegetables can be messy and I personally find courgettes better than cucumbers as they seem to be a bit firmer and last longer in the water (still take them out after one day).

Melander

More
01 Sep 2012 15:57 #11 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
cheers melander will do

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds