Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Drew the King of the Slappers (not in a bad way)

More
31 Aug 2012 19:20 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
Drew your definately the king of the slappers, I was up with Drew today and got some stunning fish especially the Apistogramma aggazzizzi fire reds, when fishing these out I said to Drew i want a handsome male and 2 slapper females and thats exactly what i got, i got home floated the fish for 20 mins to equalise the temp. then released the fish at this time Martin (duzzy1) came over to get some fish i got for him and i started showing him my new purchases, a stunning pair of Blue angels :cheer: , a pair of true mouthbrooding severums :woohoo: , a pair of curviceps :P and my apistos :laugh: , I could only see 1 female apisto aggazzizzi fire red and then i spotted the male in a small half flower pot i had in the tank, so i got a torch to show martin the magnificent colours on him when martin said no wonder he's in there he's got a female in there two, next he said hang on theres eggs in there two, and sure enough there was and they where in the process of spawning, the stunning part of this is that it was within 10MINS of being in my tank :ohmy: :crazy: :pinch: :crazy: , Drew I asked for slappers and you gave me slappers thanks a million mate i'm delighted, never have i had fish spawn within 10 min s of being in a tank, and the angels are now cosying up to each other, the curviceps are sparring so if your looking for good fish give Drew a shout, he's also had rams spawn in the shop and angels too it says a lot for the quality fish he has
Cheers again Drew, ;)
Seamus

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2012 19:32 #2 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Ha read the title and was wondering what to expect :unsure:
Great news!!!! i do remember you saying "pick me too slappers" :laugh: they have been showing signs in the shop, as all 5 species we have are from time to time.. wasnt it the females who were jaw locking? :laugh:
Must move a few into the quarantine tanks n see what happens ;)
Hope the rest follow suit for you... B) good to see ya again today n keep us posted on hatchings n other pos. spawnings :cool:

More
31 Aug 2012 19:40 - 31 Aug 2012 19:41 #3 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
will do Drew, glad you didnt take offence to the title :evil: brilliant fish you have there thanks

Last edit: 31 Aug 2012 19:41 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie).

More
31 Aug 2012 21:06 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I recon the bit in brackets could be left out :evil: (whoops....sorry, this isn't Facebook)

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
31 Aug 2012 21:10 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
lol well he can pick them Ian

More
31 Aug 2012 21:17 #6 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
slappers? :laugh: ermmm... cheers :ohmy: a few in my time.... a few were stunners tho :blush: B)

More
31 Aug 2012 21:23 - 31 Aug 2012 21:25 #7 by jwm (sean sean)
Just a quick question. Do ya do stag parties :whistle: :whistle:

A person who surrenders when he is WRONG, is HONEST. A person who SURRENDERS when not SURE, is WISE. A person who surrenders even if he is RIGHT, is a HUSBAND.
Last edit: 31 Aug 2012 21:25 by jwm (sean sean).

More
31 Aug 2012 22:32 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Just a quick question. Do ya do stag parties :whistle: :whistle:

I won't mention what I thought 'Stag Party' looked like when I read it without my glasses.......but it would have been topical nonetheless.

****back to facebook for me I guess**** :whistle:

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
31 Aug 2012 22:51 #9 by JohnH (John)

Ha read the title and was wondering what to expect :unsure:
Great news!!!! i do remember you saying "pick me too slappers" :laugh: they have been showing signs in the shop, as all 5 species we have are from time to time.. wasnt it the females who were jaw locking? :laugh:
Must move a few into the quarantine tanks n see what happens ;)
Hope the rest follow suit for you... B) good to see ya again today n keep us posted on hatchings n other pos. spawnings :cool:

I hope the Borellis you have for me (and the other fish) are in as amorous a mood after I collect them!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
01 Sep 2012 12:51 #10 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

I hope the Borellis you have for me (and the other fish) are in as amorous a mood after I collect them!

John

Looks like you've figured out how to find the place John :woohoo: :woohoo:

More
01 Sep 2012 14:20 #11 by davey_c (dave clarke)
hey drew, ye could have show'd me your gift last night pal instead of keeping it to yourself :evil: :whistle:

haha was waiting for a result like this, have been watching them displaying to each other each time i was down so delighted for ye shea :cool:
keep us updated now B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
01 Sep 2012 17:02 #12 by ghart (Greg Hart)
I was down with Drew today in Emerald Aquatics and purchased four beautiful Geophagus species, 2 males and 2 females. Drew said they came for a northern Ireland breeder. He has quite a few in stock.
They are already showing lovely colouration in the tank :)

Thanks Drew.

Greg

More
01 Sep 2012 19:09 #13 by serratus (Drew Latimer)
Ha Dave you could be posting tmw the same as Shea... :woohoo:

Hi Greg, nice to put a name to a face.. good to see you again and glad they settled in.. they will colour up more just give them time :) ... how are the pair of kribs? another pair have taken the shell over.... :laugh:

More
06 Sep 2012 08:48 #14 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
well just an update, the little female ate the eggs, then again she is inexperienced so no harm, but a good star from them and again cracking looking fish drew cheers

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds