Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

rasboras

More
16 Sep 2012 20:34 #1 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Just looking at this female,I've never seen a spawn from these in my community tank but thats not to say it hasn't happened,does this one look like she's full of eggs or no? There something I would like to breed,I've never seen the upside down behavior but I think that might be down to it happening early i

n the morning!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2012 21:10 #2 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Replied by BlueRam (Sean Crowe) on topic rasboras
Ciaran hows things

This could be a number off this how are they feeding?

If i am not mistaken i think Kev has bred these would be handy to send him a PM or when he see this he could comment on it

Hard to say from the photo but has this just came on or has she being like this a while

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
16 Sep 2012 21:13 - 16 Sep 2012 21:24 #3 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Replied by BlueRam (Sean Crowe) on topic rasboras
Or maybe it was the GALAXY RASBORAS that he bred im lost haha i need sleep

Also have a look at this link might help you out a bit

freshaquarium.about.com/cs/cyprinids2/p/harlequin.htm

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving
Last edit: 16 Sep 2012 21:24 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe). Reason: Adding Link

More
16 Sep 2012 21:18 #4 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I have 11 of these and every now and again a few of the rounder ones swell up like this,they get frozen bloodworm,brine shrimp and flake

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
17 Sep 2012 06:47 #5 by Helen P (Helen Prout)
Replied by Helen P (Helen Prout) on topic rasboras
When I set up my new 230 litre community tank, my Rasboras were amongst the first fish to go in, and they spawned daily for a few weeks. I even managed to find a tiny fry in the tank at one stage, although he has obviously been gobbled up as a snack since then.

The tank was new, and I was doing large water changes in it, with cool water, and I think this helped to bring them on.

I also have a suspicion that coming out of the lfs crowded tank and into an understocked one, was a trigger, i.e. an improvement in their conditions.

Having said that anytime I seem to move fish between tanks, they seem more likely to spawn then - so I would definitely give this a go. In fact, the literature I have read suggests separating the males and females, and then introducing them into a tank in pairs, possibly leaving a cardboard box/sheet over it and only removing it the next day, to simulate first morning light, when you can observe them and make sure that they have indeed spawned. Then remove them to another tank and get some infusoria ready for the fry B) .

More
17 Sep 2012 07:11 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers Helen,might give that a go,as far as the females are concerned did yours swell up before spawning?

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
17 Sep 2012 07:36 #7 by Helen P (Helen Prout)
Replied by Helen P (Helen Prout) on topic rasboras
I don't have my harlequins anymore (my brother took them along with a filter when cycling his tank), but my memory is that after observing them for a while, it was easy to pick out the females, as they were rounder than the males - although I wouldn't have said they were swollen, as such, just rounder/plumper.

I would be a bit nervous, if just one in particular has 'swollen up', as I had something similar happen to a beautiful rummynose tetra, before she went fins up :(

I would definitely go down the route of setting up a small breeding tank for these guys, as I think you will have the best chance of success this way.

I have dwarf rasbora's in my shrimp tank, which I would love to spawn. They're on a diet of brine shrimp and bloodworms and have coloured up beautifully, but so far haven't spawned (that I can tell), I will be adding RO water to their water changes from now on to see if that might help...,

More
17 Sep 2012 09:47 #8 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers,I think il set up a tank for these and see how o get on,I had a look at her thismorning and she seemed fine,it may be a. Case of over feeding.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds