Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

bit of advice needed

More
25 Sep 2012 08:37 #1 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
hey folks , so i have a breeding pair of Sheepshead Acara (Laetacara curviceps) who have spawned on quite a few occasions but have never gotten the fry past free swimming stage ( a day or two at most ) . This morning i see they have spawned again and I'm thinkin of seperating the parents this time , leaving the eggs in a 60 litre tank .

Would it be more beneficial to wait until the eggs become wrigglers or should i whip the parents out right away . There is nothing else in the tank so if the eggs hatch there will be nothing there to eat them .

Any advice gratefully received

Thanx in advance

Martin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Sep 2012 09:09 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
personally I'd leave them till wriggler stage then put a clear divider in the tank, this way the parents will learn they are not food and maybe next time go further with the rearing. Just a thought but it might work

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
25 Sep 2012 09:28 #3 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic bit of advice needed

hey folks , so i have a breeding pair of Sheepshead Acara (Laetacara curviceps) who have spawned on quite a few occasions but have never gotten the fry past free swimming stage ( a day or two at most ) . This morning i see they have spawned again and I'm thinkin of seperating the parents this time , leaving the eggs in a 60 litre tank .

Would it be more beneficial to wait until the eggs become wrigglers or should i whip the parents out right away . There is nothing else in the tank so if the eggs hatch there will be nothing there to eat them .

Any advice gratefully received

Thanx in advance

Martin

Martin, doesn't this remind you of the Krobia scenario/problem?
If, as I sort of suspect, you would like to have the great pleasure of watching the parenting of the adults why not just leave them to 'get it right'? I'm sure they will, eventually.
You might consider letting the fry get to the free-swimming stage and then remove some, using a gravy baster, to have some fry to raise and leave the remainder to their fate?
Another alternative (which you might have already considered) would be to have a few smaller, rather innocuous fish (I often use Cherry Barbs) to divert the parents' attention and strengthen the parental bond. (People 'in the know' call these 'dither' fish).

Good luck with whatever route you go down.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Sep 2012 10:06 #4 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
cheers guys , but i guess wot i really should have asked is , i want fry this time around as this tank is in work and it would be cool to have fry swimming around for customers to see . Now the eggs have been taken from the original spawn site and have been moved into a pit which the parents dug in the gravel . There are no white eggs , so would it be detrimental to the eggs to remove the parents at this stage ??

unfortunately patience aint one of my strong points and this is the 7th or 6th time this pair have spawned .

Martin

More
25 Sep 2012 11:21 #5 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic bit of advice needed
I personally think removing the adults at this stage wouldn't be a good idea as a pit in the gravel/substrate wouldn't be the most secure of environments - at least with the parents being 'on hand' they can remove anything which might fall in, and also any 'mulm' which would tend to gather in any such pit. So, I'm all for you leaving them - at least until they're free swimming fry.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds