Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How to price tank bred fish?

More
11 Nov 2012 20:05 #1 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on selling/pricing tank bred fish.

What’s reasonable to expect to pay/sell tank bred fish for? Are there some general guidelines such as a certain percentage of what a fish would be in a LFS?

I’m not looking for an ultimate profit/supply & demand model only what’s reasonable. It’s a hobby after all.

Also, I have not seen that many tank bred fish for sale here on the forum, is there allot of trading going on within the clubs on meetings and such?

Melander

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2012 20:12 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I've sold a few angles in the past and I reckon it would be up to the discretion of the buyer,
I sold 100 blues for €1.50 each to one shop which wasn't half bad!
Works out it covered my electric bill for the tanks for a couple of months,
And keeps the OH happy!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
11 Nov 2012 20:25 - 11 Nov 2012 20:27 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i've only charged about 1-2e for fish i bred but it depends on what your breeding and size at selling time!... some fishye couldn't give away and others are species most would love to keep so realy its up to the breeders. some species seem to be advertised for about 50% lfs prices whereas i've seen some advertised at very little under lfs prices so supose its trial/error

edit... also i don't mind being generous to generous buyers :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768
Last edit: 11 Nov 2012 20:27 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
11 Nov 2012 20:45 #4 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Thanks for the replies.

I have very little experience of this myself. Having sold to LFS alright but they seem to know themselves what to pay so there has not been much thinking from my part there, especially when you need to free up space.

Usually I would have gotten around 2 euro from a LFS for fish sold for 6-8 euro. Perhaps not much but it's always nice to get some "free" food or some money for the electricity bill as said before.

When it comes to selling privately i really don't know, perhaps it has allot to do with how fast you need to get rid of the fish.

Melander

More
11 Nov 2012 20:49 #5 by JohnH (John)
I tend to agree with Dave here.
Unless someone is trying to breed to make a profit (very unlikely in these times) then anywhere around half the shop price would seem to be pretty close (unless they're for me - then the advice would be to give them for free).

:whistle: :whistle: :whistle: :evil:

But, seriously now, I think that, whatever price is being asked for tank-bred fish the looked (hoped) for price should be left to PMs for disclosure. But that's only my view, others may disagree.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
11 Nov 2012 20:54 #6 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
No matter what price is asked its very hard to move on fish and also this is why most breeders just dont put in the time breeding anyone as they are 9 times out off 10 stuck with the offspring

I myself and breed a good few fish and maybe sometimes i move off some but most off the time they go to the LSF for free

Depends on the fish as the lads say but myself i think have only ever asked about 2 or 3 euro max for tank breed but again this would change for many breeders and for different fish

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
11 Nov 2012 20:57 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
2e for a 6-8e fish isn't bad and quite a good starting point to guage interest. i can think of 1 lfs i wouldn't sell to myself because i've heard from the horses mouth their attitude towards buying from local breeders and it was degrading towards anyone enjoying that aspect of the hobby!!
i would start with that though and see if they move quick enough, if not you can lower if your happy to or just pass them on to lfs. although i personaly wouldn't use an lfs an my 1st point of call but thats just me, i'd pass the deals onto fellow fishkeepers instead :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
11 Nov 2012 21:07 #8 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
@Sean I think you hit the head of the nail, it's very interesting trying to breed fish but breeding surprisingly could result in fry that need a home of their own. I'm surprised that you have to give them away to a LFS for free though could they not atleast throw a jar of food or something for the effort. Where they fish that are unsellable?

@Dave I agree with you about trying to sell to fishkeepers first. It's must however be much easier in urban areas and driving to one LFS saves on the petrol compared to driving to 10-20 individual keepers.

Melander

More
11 Nov 2012 21:21 #9 by davey_c (dave clarke)
that was 1 tight arse lfs sean :lol: ... ye know what they say about selling something ye got for free ;)

i wouldn't go delivering fish unless you were traveling their way... i'm in kildare and i find people often don't venture out of their county... must be too use to having things handed to them on a plate :lol: ... in reality your gonna get alot of "when are ye coming my direction" although ye could install a delivery charge :lol:

1 more thing, if i don't see a price i don't bother asking so bare in mind, i'm sure i'm not the only 1 so your best to show a price and people do what they want with it unless of course if your open to offers B)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
11 Nov 2012 21:32 #10 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
Yeah mate they where ones i was left with as say i had 100 and sold 60 i would pass on the other 40 ya know they where in no means unsellable just none to buy them thats allN

I find it hard as im in Navan also so people driving her for 1 or 2 fish at 2 euro a pop in not going to happy

Sure just there a few weeks ago i had kribs up for 1 euro i think at one stage and couldnt move them so some went to LFS and other went to a member from here for free

Davey tell me about it ha

But its crazy we cant sell fish on here most off the time but sure most lads go to there LFS and spend 4 times the price for the same fish i dont under stand this but have to say im happy in a way as it keep the LSF going and we need as many off them that we can get

Sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
11 Nov 2012 21:47 #11 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Sounds like it's definitely worth taking into account how easy the fish are to get rid off before trying to breed anything from now on.

It’s probably always gonna be the same for us mud skippers anyway unless we breed something really rare.

Melander

More
12 Nov 2012 01:48 #12 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
i think all the lads have hit the nail on the head here, the only time you could really make a bit of profit is with really rare fish but unfortunately they are rare to come buy. i myself dont mind paying and travelling for good fish but sometimes you just cant make it and have to back out, i have bought some stunning fish from members here passed some of them onto friends as well, and never feel i have been robbed by any of them. the price guide given above is about right to sell to members at and if selling to lfs's it would probably be a bit lower as they have to shift them on an make some money on them

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
12 Nov 2012 14:04 #13 by joemc (joe mc)
selling on fish will definitly never make you rich, you will be lucky to cover your food bill!
the price of anything is really what another is willing to pay.
shops in my experience will generally offer about a quarter the retail value of the fish, which to me is a pretty fair deal. selling on to other fish keepers, well that is between the two doing the deal, but it is really about sharing and spreading the hobby and not about making a big profit.
on the selling on of something you got for free davey-c well I could not agree with you more on that one, only a miserable selfish scavenging good for nothing would do a thing like that, I have in the past given fish away to people free only to see them offered for sale on forums and in shops in the past...... truly bad form and leaves a bad taste in the mouth, but then again what others do often says more about them than another could do if they wrote a book

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
12 Nov 2012 14:37 #14 by davey_c (dave clarke)
it must be degrading to feel like people took advantage of ye joe but supose 1 fact of life is we live and learn i supose... did ye ask their reasons for this cheap act because assumptions can be misleading at times??

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
12 Nov 2012 14:47 #15 by joemc (joe mc)
:laugh: not degrading at all davey-c, what others do is no reflection of me, i gave a guy fish free for himself, the only condition was that if he was passing them on he gives them free to other fishkeepers on the forum and not sells them to them

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
12 Nov 2012 15:12 #16 by bonzo (alistair mcareavey)
I sold some fish to a lfs awhile ago for 5 and they sold them for 50. It amazes me that I can advertise fish for pittance and people will bypass them to buy the same fish in their lfs for 10 times more :crazy:

More
12 Nov 2012 15:29 #17 by Acara (Dave Walters)

I sold some fish to a lfs awhile ago for 5 and they sold them for 50. It amazes me that I can advertise fish for pittance and people will bypass them to buy the same fish in their lfs for 10 times more :crazy:

This is something I see a lot, people getting onto forums and complaining about the price of the lfs, yet guys are advertising great quality fry for a fraction of the price, and can't shift them, meanwhile all this Czech and Asian muck is flying out of the shops for several times the price. I don't have any experience running a lfs, but can imagine overheads would be quite high. I've also heard a bit from guys who've sold to shops, then seen their fish for 4-5 times the price in the shop,what did you expect, this is business, these guys have bills to pay. I would love to see a situation where shops could buy a lot more locally bred stock, as something that hasn't been mentioned is the huge carbon footprint involved in flying in stock all the time. The more of this foreign muck we buy, the more it will need to be produced, and the worse the production process will become.

Joe, I hear you on that front, I know of a keeper or 2 who is known for this sort of carry on. I have a few fish for sale currently(most(actually all) I will actually be giving for free), but won't advertise, as I know the same few names will be pm'ing me. But hey, that's just my thoughts, we're all different.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
12 Nov 2012 15:31 - 12 Nov 2012 16:30 #18 by davey_c (dave clarke)
i would be very wary about taking free fish because any i have have been carrying parasites!... i remember this 1 time i took a members experience for granted and offered to take some free fish from them, thought it was very generous considering the considerable distance they came to drop them to me. unfortunately when i saw the young had badly clamped tails and deformed fins i felt concerned but didn't act immediately, which was mistake number 2 (mistake 1 being taken them to start with) so got them checked out and confirmed my suspicions... they came with parasites :evil:
i hadn't a quarantine tank so luckily enough an lfs agree'd to dose them under the conditions i accepted healthier specimens as an exchange.... i mean these were that badly deformed that ye couldn't give them away... the sad thing is i'm sure i'm not the only 1 this happened to but luckily enough all other members were honest enough :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Last edit: 12 Nov 2012 16:30 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
12 Nov 2012 17:06 #19 by joemc (joe mc)
gosh that is terrible davey-c, what parasites had they got? were the clamped fins and deformed fish caused by the parasites?

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
12 Nov 2012 17:31 - 12 Nov 2012 17:34 #20 by davey_c (dave clarke)
can't recall what type to be honest as its been quite a while since that incident but supose we all live and learn!!

maybe people are cautious when offered free fish so most end up in lfs anyways so OP take it as it comes because as said they'll only be worth what people are willing to pay for them ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Last edit: 12 Nov 2012 17:34 by davey_c (dave clarke).

More
12 Nov 2012 18:01 #21 by arabu1973 (. .)
I do breed fish and the people that know me or bought fish from me know what type and quality of fish i have so i could do a very long article on this but my short answer to this topic is:

- most of the people complain about the quality/diversity/prices of the fish in LFS but when you try to sale, in my case rare or hard to breed fish, for very little money they complain that they are to expensive even if they sale for 5-6 times the price in LFS, they would like them for free and delivered too.

And thats me done

More
12 Nov 2012 20:09 #22 by Acara (Dave Walters)

can't recall what type to be honest as its been quite a while since that incident but supose we all live and learn!!

maybe people are cautious when offered free fish so most end up in lfs anyways so OP take it as it comes because as said they'll only be worth what people are willing to pay for them ;)

Depends really, I know many keepers I'd happily buy off, and a good few of them have offered to give me free fish. I would give them a few bob at least, I wouldn't just take them. Although I have in the past! What goes around comes around I reckon. Just like buying from a shop, have a look at them first, study them a bit, we should know what to look for, and not just be the first to write 'pm sent' on a 'free fish' thread. That way we've only ourselves to blame should we find a problem.

I have bought fish from all the main sponsors and have had problems with them.

always on the lookout for interesting corys.pm me if you know off any!

More
12 Nov 2012 20:59 #23 by davey_c (dave clarke)
the thing is dave, i did offer a few bob because there was also a breeding pair and the female was holding, would have been bad not too but all atempts were rejected!! just didn't check the fish enough because they were well known and trusted on forums!! soon found my fault alright

things like that can give buyers a bad vibe towards buying from honest to god breeders so supose could be seen as another contributing factor...

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
12 Nov 2012 21:31 #24 by Sean OC (Sean OConnell)

I've also heard a bit from guys who've sold to shops, then seen their fish for 4-5 times the price in the shop,what did you expect, this is business, these guys have bills to pay. I would love to see a situation where shops could buy a lot more locally bred stock, as something that hasn't been mentioned is the huge carbon footprint involved in flying in stock all the time. The more of this foreign muck we buy, the more it will need to be produced, and the worse the production process will become.

We generally sell on local breeders fish for twice what we pay plus vat.

More
12 Nov 2012 23:30 #25 by ghart (Greg Hart)
We all occasionally like to sell our current fish and try a different setup.
You never get or should expect to get a decent price for you fish for a LFS as they have overheads and large stocks to move. I assume the tropical fish business is very competative and the profit margins are tight.
Though some are smarter at the business that others.
Some time ago I had a Discus fish that cost me 180 euro but was only offered 25 euro from a LFS.
We care for an look after our pets and I have no problem selling fish a greatly reduced prices to other members on the forum as you know they are going to a good home and you will usualy get a better return than from a LFS.

Greg

More
13 Nov 2012 20:25 #26 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Thanks for all the replies and views, much appreciated.

Personally I would have assumed that most breeders would produce a high quality of fish. Having selected the parents, reared the young and probably being in it for the interest rather than making money compared to the mass produced fish often imported.

I would gladly buy fish from a good breeder, knowing that it for instance had not travelled; in theory should have a lesser chance of having pests, perhaps even having a chance of seeing the parent fish before purchase etc.

Also, would not a breeder selling low quality stock put him/herself open for critique by doing just that, especially on a forum.

I too would travel for the right fish (and have plenty of times) and it really is a shame hearing that reputable breeders can’t sell their stock but LFS’s can. Maybe there are plenty of people visiting the shops that just don’t have access to the ads for these fish (this forum).

It’s sad to hear what happened to both Joe and Davey, I hope that both those instances were one off events but unfortunately there will always be some ****** out there.

Melander

Time to create page: 0.086 seconds