Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What do you do to trigger spawning in your fish.

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 May 2007 14:46 #1 by Anthony (Anthony)
What do you do to trigger spawning in your fish. was created by Anthony (Anthony)
What do you do to trigger spawning in your fish.
I do a cool waterchange and buff up the pH in my Tropheus tank with Bread soda to induce breeding. I have been very lucky with my Colony in that I have 2 males and 13 females.
Have not tried it in my Lupota tank yet as they are a little young but my Annectens tank is like a labour ward.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 May 2007 01:05 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: What do you do to trigger spawning in your fish.
Depends what fish you are talking about.
Most anabatoids can be triggered by lowering the water level and an increase in water temperature.
Corydoras by lowering the temperature and a large water change. A falling barometer also hepls. However, some corydoras also need a pH crash to induce spawning.
Most dwarf cichlids will need the water temperature crancked up a couple of degrees. Same goes angels.

More
16 May 2007 15:39 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
As Holger said it depends on the fish you want to breed.
What has worked for me; live foods, black out the tank for a couple of days, lower the temp or a cool water change, drop the water level down to an inch or so above the fish when they are on the bottom of the tank, naturally from the lunar cycle (full moon), lower the pH, when we have a spell of low air pressure (barometer), but this can cause the fish to be verry frisky or skittish so a tight fitting lid is needed, divide the tank males one end females the other end. Feed well for a couple of days and then reintroduce them to each other. Chicka whocka whow whow!

• Anthony (Anthony)
  • Anthony (Anthony)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 May 2007 13:55 #4 by Anthony (Anthony)
Replied by Anthony (Anthony) on topic Re: What do you do to trigger spawning in your fish.
I know he said it depend on the fish and I know that but I want to know what you do to get the fish you keep to spawn. Please name the fish.
So spraying linx works. :lol: :lol:

More
17 May 2007 16:15 #5 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
i usually dim the lights and give the fish some privacy , i also add some vodka to the water

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds