Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

2 young angel fish just spawned

More
04 Jan 2013 21:25 #1 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi i have 2 young angel fish in a community tank they are only about 2.5" in size one is a Black marbled catfish and the other is a ghost angelfish they have laid their eggs on a leaf and both are attending and protecting the eggs from other inhabitants which are german rams, harliquens, cardinal tetra, black neion tetra and pepper cory cats. So my question is, 1 what are the chances of the eggs surviving to become fry? 2 if they do what stage do you take the fry out or do i take them out?
james

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Jan 2013 21:41 #2 by JohnH (John)
I hope it isn't a Black Marbled catfish? :evil:

The chances of these hatching first time around are pretty slim, they'll be just as likely to eat them themselves - but fear not - once they start spawning chances are they will repeat the process every ten days or so.
You could try removing the leaf complete with eggs, there is plenty of advice in the 'back pages' of the Forum for doing this.
My advice though - for what it's worth - would be to leave them at the mercy of the other tank-mates this time and prepare a spare tank - one 24x15x12 would be OK - and after this time get the new pair into it as soon as reasonably possible. The adults will have a much better chance of raising their next batch with no tank-mates.
If you decide to try to rescue the present eggs, or isolate the pair for the next spawning best of luck whichever route you take.
Doubtless more advice will be forthcoming during the course of the evening.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Jan 2013 14:55 #3 by davey_c (dave clarke)
firstly congrats and all the best with them.
i think john hit the nail on the head with his post but after that its a matter of personal choice realy. removing the eggs to prevent them from being eaten by the parents severly weakens the parental instinct of the fish so its possible that the offsping will eat their own eggs when it comes their time to breed. this is what they do in angelfish farms and is quite undesirable to many keepers... to some people if the parents don't raise the fry without eating them then their not worth breeding unless a certain form is to be produced. if anything you will gain experience along with lots of healhy fry also :)

another thing i found is if you remove their eggs the female could kill the male under the assumption he ate them all so best to put them in their own tank and let them have some fun i think :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
05 Jan 2013 22:44 #4 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
thanks,
As it happens the eggs were gone when i got home from work so not sure who ate them. i have just set up a tank with sponge filte so i can remove both fish and eggs next time they spawn see how that goes.
jim

More
05 Jan 2013 22:55 #5 by JohnH (John)
If you can, try to catch them before they spawn (you'll see them 'waving' fins at one another and then start to clean off a spawning site).
Try to move them at this point then let them lay their eggs in the 'breeding' tank - rather than trying to move the pair and eggs after they've been laid - this tend to be a non-productive way - at least has always proved so for me.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
05 Jan 2013 23:04 #6 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Sound i'll look out for it
jim

More
06 Jan 2013 21:34 #7 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
They have spawned again today different location and its not as if they moved the eggs as the last ones were definitely gone and the angels were so chilled last night not guarding eggs????????? got home today and lots more ehhs on a differant leaf does there have to be a male presant or could it be 2 females????????
cheers
jim

More
06 Jan 2013 22:02 #8 by davey_c (dave clarke)
2 females could spawn and you should be ableto tell when they droptheir tubes. the only other way is to see how many eggs turn white (unfertile eggs)... if they all turn white then their either 2 females or a dud male

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
06 Jan 2013 22:05 #9 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Yeah as i wasn't there i could identify the sex of either and if the eggs last i will see the colour i suppose cheers Davey

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds