Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Rainbow Fish Courting Help

More
25 Feb 2013 10:07 #1 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
I have 3 male and 1 female boesmani in a heavily planted well established 180L.
They share with 5 ottos and 5 odessa barbs.

The female is plump and the largest most colourful male is courting her (showing his colours and spreading his fins and circling her, tips of his dorsal fin has silver colour)

He is from time to time returning to a thick clump of plants, which i can only assume is where he wasnts her to release eggs.

What should I do if i want to raise some fry? How do i gather the eggs?
Will some survive in the tank? Will they eat eggs? :woohoo:
I have a second tank with just one juvenile pleco and heavy filtration, could i get a hand on compartment?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2013 10:43 - 25 Feb 2013 10:45 #2 by JohnH (John)
Boesmani (and most other) Rainbows will actually only lay their eggs a few at a time (I always find the optimum time to be when daylight first reaches the tank, but it will also happen when you first switch on the lights).
If you're able to, remove the bunch of plants - or at least as much as you're able to and carefully feel for eggs between your forefinger and thumb, they aren't too delicate and you can then remove each one into a container (I find the best compromise to be one of those netting 'breeding traps' which can now be bought in just about any Aquarium shop).
After you have removed the day's batch, replace the plant bunch and do the same thing the next day, and the next etc etc until you either have as many eggs as you want to deal with - or they stop laying.
Rainbow Fish eggs take a few weeks to hatch, but when they do, the fry are ready to eat straight away. But, there will be size discrepancies as - having been collected at different times - they hatch out pro rata and you could potentially reach a situation where the earlier hatchers have grown and will find the late lads to be ideal live foods.
So, if you don't want too many then only collect for a few days - if you do want more then a series of breeding traps is the logical way to go.
The best fry food - bar none - is newly-hatched brineshrimps.
They aren't the fastest of growers either, so be prepared for this - a 'grow-out' tank would be the way to go.
Of course, you could alternatively leave the eggs and fry to the mercies of both the parents - and the other tank inhabitants but don't expect too many survivors.
Hope this helps, if you have any further questions don't hesitate to ask.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2013 10:45 by JohnH (John). Reason: spelling (again!)

More
01 Mar 2013 22:10 #3 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
I just want to add that the fry is tiny. infusoria and "green water" food is needed at the beginning. Brine shrimp nauplii or micro worms are to large. there's loads in the net how to prepare infusoria culture.

Good luck

More
01 Mar 2013 23:05 #4 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
the courting has stopped, cant see any eggs tho, there are parts of my tank so heavily planted ive little chance of finding them, have some green water in progress on the windowsill just incas would be great to be able to raise some of my own....

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds