Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Angelfish laid eggs on filter tube

More
20 May 2014 10:42 #1 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Hi guys .Ive a bit of a problem here :( gonna ask a big load of questions as its our first time !!

Well 2 of my angels laid eggs some time ov past 3 days ( not sure when as i was "away" )

The eggs were laid right on the tube that sucks up the water. 2 angel fish are keeping other fish away ,but i cant imagine anything surviving another night in same tank with 2 black ghost knife fish and 3 tiger barbs and other 2angels what should i do ?
How to tell if the eggs are fertilized ? Both of my angelfish look like females to me - Is it possible that 2 females are protecting their unfertilized eggs ? should i move the pipe to another tank with them two angels ?

Sorry about poor quality.

**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker**

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 May 2014 11:03 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
If you're not entirely sure about the gender of the "parents" then the only way to find out if they're fertilized is to wait, I think. You don't necessarily need the parents if you put them into another tank. You could have an airstone running bubbles over them.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
20 May 2014 13:32 #3 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Im just after disconnecting the pipe and sticking in the internal fluval u3 ..
-had a closer look and the eggs look like they are open ?? Did i burst them when moving the thing ?
there is "something" tiny swimming around but looks like some sort of parasite or water fleas more than anything else ?
Id like to belive these are fishies , but dont really think its possible ?
gonna try and move the rest to my 40l now together with "parents"

More
20 May 2014 17:51 #4 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Think i messed up , no more movement in my 40l , the eggs look empty , both adults are too shocked and scared after the operation , just sit in one corner since :(
Not the start id dream off to be honest

More
20 May 2014 19:22 #5 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Dont fret too much, if they spawned once...... they will do it again!
As I was told recently by a member here when I made a mistake, the man who makes no mistakes has gotten little to nothing done!

Let the parents settle for a few days and see what happens

More
20 May 2014 20:13 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
If you want to breed them,
Take them out of the 40 it's way to small,
They will need a minimum of 100liter tank,
And a tall one,
At least 18 inches high,
The less disturbing the better.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
20 May 2014 22:09 #7 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Thanks dude i dont think ill be attempting to breed any more fish for a moment anyway , broke the external filters canister box while trying to catch what was in there so just sick of everything .

More
22 May 2014 20:50 #8 by ger310 (Ger .)
Don't get so disheartened just yet mate,these things happen to all of us from time to time!!

Whats the latest state of play?

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
24 May 2014 14:24 #9 by ABdarudeone (Mick)
Hi , none of them tiny lads made it - i was totally unprepared , only bought these angels a month before of the forum member and kept them in my Q-tank for some time , they spawned within 4 days from introduction to my community tank .
I'm not giving up just yet , though i was close 2 days ago when my old external filter stsrted to leak again (main seal on Fluval205) , 2 filters in one week ha !!
Cheers for all the advice everyone .

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds