Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta Pugnax

More
14 Jul 2014 19:27 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Hi all ,
Quick video of my B. Pugnax swapping eggs. Ive removed the female to a holding tank for a while to give the male a chance with the eggs and see how he goes.

Eric

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Jul 2014 21:03 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Intriguing Eric!
Are they Mouthbrooders?
Look like very interesting fish,
I've never kept bettas but I'd be lying if I said it never crossed my mind to keep them,
Can you tell me more about husbandry of these?
Ph, tank size etc etc
Cheers :)

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
15 Jul 2014 09:48 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Good stuff.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
15 Jul 2014 16:53 #4 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Replied by Eric (Eric Corcoran) on topic Betta Pugnax

Intriguing Eric!
Are they Mouthbrooders?
Look like very interesting fish,
I've never kept bettas but I'd be lying if I said it never crossed my mind to keep them,
Can you tell me more about husbandry of these?
Ph, tank size etc etc
Cheers :)

Yea these are mouthbrooders. 1st ones ive owned. I have them in my 120L tank and it seems to suit them fine. They're not the most active fish and like most bettas they dont need huge tanks. They're the only fish in the tank so that probably helps. The pH of the tank goes between 6.5-7.0 and with loads of leaves and wood the water is fairly soft and stained. There is a lot of floating plants as well. I use a sponge filter on the tank as i do with my other tanks as it keep the flow low. Other than that its the usual weekly water changes and the like. I really enjoy watching these fish and they way they interact with each other is fascinating

Eric

More
15 Jul 2014 16:54 #5 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)

Good stuff.

ian

Thanks Ian

Eric

More
15 Jul 2014 19:26 #6 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Cheers Eric,
Keep me in mind if your selling any young.

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
15 Jul 2014 20:07 #7 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)

Cheers Eric,
Keep me in mind if your selling any young.

Will do. Fingers crossed this spawn will work.

If you're looking for a smaller wild betta ive some brownorum F1s from wild parents that are about 2 inches long and nearly ready to move on

Eric

More
15 Jul 2014 20:10 #8 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Very nice,
Pm sent

And it's spongeBob,
BLANCHARDSTOWN

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds