Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

breeding bristlenose

More
02 Aug 2014 00:55 #1 by alan 64 (alan)
hey guys i have a standard bristlenose male in one tank and an albino female in the other so if the are mixed will they breed

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Aug 2014 12:58 - 02 Aug 2014 13:04 #2 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
They should breed if they are old enough as they are both ancistrus. Put them together with a spawning cave. I got my male to breed with two different females by doing slightly colder water changes. I think it also helps when there is rain as the pressure in air changes. That's best time to add the new water as it stimulates spawning.

Make sure your cave is big enough for both of them to fit with only one entrance as the male stays guard over the eggs. My bristles spawned in a community tank with ph 8 water temp 26c I think the ideal conditions are 7 with warmer water but thats not always the case. I put the cave in a breeding net after a week to catch some fry before they are eaten in my 240. The parents are great with the fry and do not eat them.

If you have spawn and the male abandons them put them in a net near the outflow of the filter as this will give a constant flow of fresh water on the eggs. Keep in cave if possible. (Angel cichlid gave me that tip when I first tried spawn them.

Also keep in mind that you may only get brown ancistrus something to do with the genes someone explained it to me before can't really remember.

I first spawned mine in a 30l tank.

Currently breeding in 240l now.

...Also if some of my information is incorrect other members will let you no. I'm only breeding these 4 months with 4 spawns so I'm not the most experienced just taught I'd try help.

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 13:04 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella).

More
02 Aug 2014 18:03 - 02 Aug 2014 18:04 #3 by alan 64 (alan)
Replied by alan 64 (alan) on topic breeding bristlenose
Thanks Joe I have a few corys in the thank with the female I was thinking of putting the male I there would the pose a problem with the fry
Last edit: 02 Aug 2014 18:04 by alan 64 (alan). Reason: spelling

More
02 Aug 2014 18:55 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
My corys havent caused any of my bn fry any issues
Have 70 in my fry tank and another 15 or 20 in my sons tank with the corys etc

More
02 Aug 2014 19:54 #5 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
I better give this a go, i have few bristle nose both male and female in my african cichlid fry tank if i add a cave will they breed for me.

Something fishie going on here

More
02 Aug 2014 22:54 #6 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
My community tank consists of angels, bronze corries, sterbai corries and opaline gourami's the angels are the fish that pose a threat as they are big but my fry are smart they stay under the bogwood. So like hammie said Your safe with corries. :P

Yea irish-zx10r just add a cave should trigger spawning. My female was twice the size of my male for my first 2 (and latest) spawn. B)

More
03 Aug 2014 18:20 #7 by alan 64 (alan)
Ceramic flower pots ok for caves lads

More
03 Aug 2014 18:45 #8 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
If you can chip a piece off to make a hole so that one can get in at a time it will make it easier for the male to protect the fry and to keep dem in the cave as he blocks the entrance while fanning but I've seen people with spawn under mesh on the glass and under bogwood.

I've only had success with a ceramic spawning cave that has one entrance.

More
03 Aug 2014 19:20 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

My community tank consists of angels, bronze corries, sterbai corries and opaline gourami's the angels are the fish that pose a threat as they are big but my fry are smart they stay under the bogwood. So like hammie said Your safe with corries. :P

Yea irish-zx10r just add a cave should trigger spawning. My female was twice the size of my male for my first 2 (and latest) spawn. B)

More
03 Aug 2014 19:21 #10 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

New project this will be something different from the fish

More
03 Aug 2014 22:17 #11 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Just found another 60 or 80 in the same bridge only this time it seems that the male long fin albino is the father (from what I can tell)
Now moved to the new tank also

best of luck with the new project lads

Good diet, plenty of hiding places and your well on your way

More
04 Aug 2014 00:16 #12 by alan 64 (alan)
cheers mate i will keep u posted im gna try breed in the high ph tank so il see how it goes

More
05 Aug 2014 17:19 #13 by alan 64 (alan)
got a female in seahorse today as it would of been too much hassel catching the female i have already as she is in a planted tank

More
05 Aug 2014 17:27 #14 by alan 64 (alan)
also lads will half a coconut shell work for the breeding cave or do i need a cave with a solid bottom

More
05 Aug 2014 17:33 - 05 Aug 2014 17:55 #15 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Hate chasing fish in my planted tank prob smart choice buying a new one :D how much was it and what size is it?

Yea the coconut shud work I forgot about that i don't think the bottom matters I seen a video on youtube of a pair breeding on a glass bottom the camera was under the tank that might have been a coconut as it was round. Your on the right track... My two females are completely different sizes one gives 20 - 25 eggs and the other gives 80 - 100 so you might only see a few until she grows but the batches should increase in number each time.

It's more of a plate on bare bottom. I've bred them in sand and gravel they don't seem picky could take a couple days could take a month.

I hope it works out. Keep us posted if/when you get lucky.
Joe

Last edit: 05 Aug 2014 17:55 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella).

More
05 Aug 2014 17:58 #16 by alan 64 (alan)
10 euro for her id say shes youngish around 3 inches joe so the gravel botton uve had sucess with most caves i see have solid bottoms thats y i was asking

More
05 Aug 2014 18:05 #17 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
She should do the job :D. Yea I noticed that they have solid bottoms. If you use the coconut the male should stick the eggs to the side or ceiling of the cave.

More
05 Aug 2014 18:17 #18 by alan 64 (alan)
cool mate sure i throw in a ceramic pot aswell give them a choice, if sucessful what do u feed the fry

More
05 Aug 2014 18:28 #19 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Currently feeding mine on brine shrimp, veg (cucumber peas and zucini) and algae wafers

Mine range from 2-3 days old to about 1 inch

More
05 Aug 2014 18:33 #20 by alan 64 (alan)
any pics of them hammie love to see yhem

More
05 Aug 2014 18:50 #21 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...id=134146&Itemid=200
I'll see if I can get better pics later and put them up in the morning

More
05 Aug 2014 18:59 #22 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I feed the same as hammie except for zucchini and peas. I also give them catfish pellets.

Where do you get zucchini? How do you prepare peas can they be any type of peas?

More
05 Aug 2014 19:15 #23 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Courgette and zuchinni are the same thing..... tesco sells it as does my local veggie shop

I just defrost whatever peas are in the freezer - deshell them and mash them up a bit

Then give the tank a small syphon and top up before bed

More
05 Aug 2014 19:20 #24 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Right so it's best to do that on the day of water change do yours prefer a particular veg? Cucumber does be gone in an hour in my tank. I just peel one part enough to see the fleshy bit then stab it with a spoon pain getting it out always end up with a wet sleeve :-((

More
05 Aug 2014 19:27 #25 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
They devour it all....
I'd say the cucumber goes quicker than the rest in all honesty
I stopped giving them broccoli cause it was hardly touched each time

I change at least 50 litres every second day
And normally 10 - 15 litres daily

More
05 Aug 2014 20:36 #26 by alan 64 (alan)
is that to get fast growth rate hammie

More
05 Aug 2014 20:48 #27 by alan 64 (alan)

More
05 Aug 2014 20:48 #28 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
I change water so often cause I don't want old food fouling the water

Its the advice I was given by a few more experienced on here!!!!!
If it works for them...... I'm happy to follow suit
Out of about 400 fry I've lost a total of about 10
So it seems to be going fairly well at the moment

More
05 Aug 2014 20:49 #29 by alan 64 (alan)
quick vid of the hopefully breeding tank

More
05 Aug 2014 22:19 #30 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)

Currently feeding mine on brine shrimp, veg (cucumber peas and zucini) and algae wafers

Brine shrimp is not so good for Ancistrus. Best to stick with the veggies and always peel off the outer skin incase of pesticides.
Feeding them wafers and veggies in the morning before work.
Then in the evening remove any left over veggies. Then pleco wafers again in the evening.
This has always worked well for me with Ancistrus.
Good filtration and water quality is also recommended.

Best of luck with them.

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds