Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Breeding tank setup

More
21 Feb 2016 20:20 - 21 Feb 2016 20:24 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
So I just set up a 120 litre tank.

I am putting together a list of fish I would like to breed this year and any of that breeding will be done in this tank last year it was multis this year it has been brichardi and julichromos orantus unexpected breeding and not planned but I'll take it.

I would like to breed bettas next and I am getting a breeding pair on Saturday all going well I think with the bettas I might just get 2 containers to breed them in instead of the 120 litre.

I have always loved chocolate gourami s they will defenitly be on the list

I will be adding more bog wood and some vines in the next week or so and some low maintenance plants

But I am also looking for suggestions off people on here on what to try my hand breeding.

The tank is a 120 litre Jewel
Filter is a mini pat filter
Heater is a Fluval

All suggestions welcome.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite
Last edit: 21 Feb 2016 20:24 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2016 22:02 #2 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
You've plenty of options it's just a matter of what you like. Dwarf cichlids , tetras , corys, killifish or just use it as a grow out for the bettas

Eric

More
22 Feb 2016 22:04 #3 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Nice little setup, but i would suggest bare tank for breeding. A lot of biochemical processes will happen in that sand bottom. You don't really want that, If you thinking of breeding anything that scatters eggs.

More
22 Feb 2016 22:49 #4 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Bart is on the button,bare bottom for breeding is best and easier to maintain..you can add marbles etc if you need for egg scatters or perhaps try a few of the more common fish to breed,you wil always move them on easily enough.if it was me id go with some of the dwarf cichlids or maybe some corys!
Also make sure there isnt too much movement with the filter.
Gavin

Gavin

More
23 Feb 2016 15:02 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Thanks for the heads up on the sand lads I have seen a lot of breeding tanks with sand bottoms and I had some there so decided to throw it in.

Eric a grow out actually sounds great will need another tank or container as a spawn tank for the bettas tho.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
23 Feb 2016 21:20 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Check out the guy on adverts that makes tanks. I bought a small breeding tank off of him last year for 30 quid and it's great. It has a removable divider so no more putting females in a jar

Eric

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds