Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Betta unimaculata fry

More
03 Jul 2016 20:59 #1 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
My male B. unimaculata released some fry today. Counted around 15 but with the tank having anubias, floating plants and a coconut cave im sure there's more. Only moved him into a smaller tank yesterday on day 10 and was expecting him to hold for another few days at least but when I checked today he had them released. All fry looking healthy. Fed them tiny white worms this evening and will have freshly hatched bbs for them tomorrow evening

Eric
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Jul 2016 21:33 - 03 Jul 2016 21:34 #2 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
Ðid not realise when i commented on fb you were the same man. :)
Are they that much bigger than splenden fry Eric that they can take small white worms and bbs that early?
Last edit: 03 Jul 2016 21:34 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan).

More
03 Jul 2016 21:33 #3 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
Ðid not realise when i commented on fb you were the same man.

More
03 Jul 2016 21:43 #4 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)

Ðid not realise when i commented on fb you were the same man.

Lol yep same person. Can't add you as a friend though

Eric

More
03 Jul 2016 22:12 #5 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
Dont know how that double posted and ommited half the post the second time.
Best of luck with them.
Lost all the biera fry I was telling you about to velvet.
Looked at one under the scope today.
Thought I added salt to the water but when I looked today the measurement of salt was where i prepared the hatch water.
Gutted

More
10 Jul 2016 09:53 #6 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Week old fry feeding on bbs

Eric

More
14 Jul 2016 17:57 #7 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
They are getting big.
Did you manage to get a headcount on the spawn size Eric?

More
14 Jul 2016 18:34 #8 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I've just moved them to a larger tank this evening and there's 24 of them . I took a video so ill put it up later

Eric

More
14 Jul 2016 19:34 #9 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Moving the fry to a larger tank this evening. 24 in total. I started adding small live white worms to their diet along with the bbs

Eric

More
15 Jul 2016 12:41 #10 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
I did read in the 'betta bible' that was free on Amazon recently and posted on here somewhere, that if you over feed white worm to bettas it affects them in the future.
From what I remember they don't grow something properly and they do something. ( see my memory is that good!)
I will look into the book and see if I can find the phrase again. Maybe someone else can remember better.

More
15 Jul 2016 13:00 #11 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Your sort of on the right track. But its if you over feed micro worms to domestic betta fry it can cause them to lose or not grow their ventral fins

Eric

More
15 Jul 2016 13:10 #12 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
I have read Johnlate the over feeding of microworms can lead to the non development of the ventral fins in betta fry but I have not read anywhere that over feeding of white worms causes any problems only obesity if feed non sparingly to any fish species.

More
15 Jul 2016 16:00 #13 by Jonlate (Jon Late)
Ah, I knew it was some sort if worm!! I can't download the ' betta bible ' again as my 7 days has run out to see what it said.
So it's microworms, not whiteworms that cause the problem with the ventral fins.
White worms just make them fat.
That's what you get for trusting in your memory. I proudly stand corrected. :blush:
So why would microworms cause it but whiteworms wouldn't? What us the difference?

More
15 Jul 2016 18:21 #14 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
I have never read the reason why overfeeding of microworms are believed to be a cause of non development of the ventral fin in betta fry just that there is a known/believed link.
I think genetics,water parameters and a few more variables may often be overlooked in these cases.

More
15 Jul 2016 18:44 #15 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
The reason I believe is that while the ventrals are developing it's got to do with the bacteria on the bottom of the tank . When feeding micro worms they sink to the bottom forcing the fry to feed on the bottom. With bbs and vinegar eels they'll stay in the water column.
Why it doesn't happen with white worms is I reckon the ventrals have already developed by the time you're feeding them. I don't know if water conditions has anything to do with it but it's definitely not genetics as if you breed non ventral bettas the fry will always have ventrals ( providing you don't go mad with the micro worms again :) )

Eric

More
15 Jul 2016 19:00 #16 by wildlifebiology93 (Sean O'Sullivan)
So is it the bacteria of any decomposing organism in general that the fry become overexposed to that causes the loss or retardation of ventral fins or a bacteria specific to decomposing microworms Eric?

More
15 Jul 2016 19:38 #17 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
Since ive only ever heard or read about it happening with the over use of micro worms I presume it's specific to them decomposing

Eric ,

More
16 Jul 2016 18:25 #18 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
The fry are coming on great, Eric, they are looking well.
Bill

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds