Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Single random mystery fry

More
30 May 2017 22:38 #1 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)
Hi. Have a small 40l tank I'm setting up for my son's room. It's just cycling and I used live plant from our large tank which houses guppies, tiger barbs, corys, rainbow fish and neons.
The tank that is cycling has a snail that was on the plant. Whilst my son was watching the snail he called me saying there was a baby fish. I've attached a pic- does anyone know what type of fry it is? How do we care for it? It's tiny. We can only see the one in there. Tank was only set up last week so still not fully cycled. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2017 23:54 #2 by JohnH (John)
In the absence of any other replies my best guess (unfortunately the pics don't show it too clearly) based upon your existing stock would be a Rainbow fry.
As stated, it's a 'best guess' but based on several things it could be right. Rainbow fish lay adhesive eggs (which could have lodged in one of the plants you transferred) and the eggs don't hatch for up to a fortnight after being laid. It doesn't look like a baby Guppy and really is a bit too long to be from Tiger Barbs. It's also a bit the 'wrong shape' to be a Corydoras and Neon fry are so tiny as to be almost invisible, looking more like tiny slivers of glass so I'm putting my 50c on it being a Rainbow.

As to feeding it, this might be a real problem if you only have one in the tank (although it's not unreasonable to hope/assume that more eggs were transferred with the plant). You really need the finest of food for it/them but only the tiniest amount too as too much uneaten food might just mar your cycling process.

Having a snail in there might well be beneficial as it could help with uneaten food.

You could try crushing down a small amount of food, or if you can get it, Liquifry #1 would be a good starting point as they claim it breaks down to form infusoria which would be a good food for the tiny fish.

That just about covers what I can suggest - maybe other members could make suggestions?

Watch out for more fry appearing in the coming days too.

Hope that helps.

Oh yes - and welcome along.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
31 May 2017 05:19 #3 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)
Thank you for the response. O really appreciate it. I'll head out on my travels today to see if I can get some. It isbso so tiny it is so hard to get a picture. I've had guppy fry before and this is much much smaller. But then my current females are only 6months old. Still looks different. Unless I only spotted them later.

I'll try get a better picture in the mean time and feed it and wait to see I guess lol. A rainbow would be lovely though.
Thank you again

More
31 May 2017 06:01 #4 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)
Thank you. Really appreciate the reply. Now to see if I can get some. The local petshop isn't great. We normally travel over an hour to get to one that is half decent. Lol

Here's a link to the video of fry. It's a bit clearer. Thanks again

More
31 May 2017 09:05 #5 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)
Ok link didn't work

More
31 May 2017 09:12 #6 by JohnH (John)
I find the best way to post videos is to use the youtube route - upload it to there, then post their link.
John

ITFS member.

More
31 May 2017 09:14 #7 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)

More
31 May 2017 09:19 #8 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)
Thank you. You can hear my son is happy lol

More
31 May 2017 09:28 #9 by JohnH (John)
Your video reinforces my suggestion - I'm even more convinced now that it's a Rainbowfish fry.

It appears quite 'well fed' too, must be getting sustenance from within the tank so I wouldn't go making a special trip for food just now. It seems to be doing OK on what it is gleaning from within the tank.
That's not to say you won't be needing food in the future - just not necessarily immediately.
As it grows (and they aren't the fastest of growers in the fish world) you should be able to finely crush a small amount of your regular food (I use a mortar-and-pestle) to feed it on if you can't get dedicated fry food locally.
Some advise egg yolk, I find this tends to sour the water too quickly for my personal liking but it's another option to be considered.

John

ITFS member.

More
31 May 2017 09:34 #10 by B0kett0 (Charlotte Tugwell)
Thank you so much. Can't see any more so if the rest are in main tank I'm guessing they've been or will get eaten. Will keep checking though. Otherwise it will be a long time in a tank on its own if they're slow growing.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds