Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

I can't take any more!!

More
19 Aug 2017 11:47 #1 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
I have a holding tank in which I keep a group of wild Trichopodus trichopterus (Three-spot Gourami) from Vietnam which I bought 12 months ago. I select a male and female from the group for spawning then put them back into the holding tank when done. I've had two spawnings from them doing this.
A strange thing has happened. I selected a pair in late May/early June which had developed very nicely, nice markings etc. and I had high hopes of keeping a few youngsters for further breeding and improvement. Two months later, they still haven't produced anything, just a half-hearted attempt at a nest from the male. I noticed a couple of days ago that a nest had been blown in the holding tank which held the other 5 fish of the group. I checked it out and could see some wrigglers in the nest. I got a plastic container - one of those that Chinese take-away come in - and scooped out the nest and floated the container in the tank. Searching the tank, not easy with 5 Gourami going crazy in it from my disturbance but couldn't see any other fry, they were probably eaten by the other fish in the tank. I counted about 26 wrigglers. The next morning a male was busy blowing another nest, by that evening it was full of wrigglers, yes, very fast! The nest must have been full of eggs already when I saw it early that morning, around 6 am. The eggs must have hatched in a little over 12 hrs!! I got another container and scooped out the nest again, this time there was about +/-200 wrigglers saved. This morning, I checked out the fish room, a bit later than usual about 8am and saw two nests had been blown, one in the same place as the others had been and the second at the opposite end of the tank. I have no more containers, and quite frankly, I wouldn't have the space to rear all these fry at the moment - at least until I manage to put up the rest of my shelving for my other tanks.
I've no idea what's going on, so far I'm putting it down to all this thundery weather we're having here and the even lower pressure system creeping in for tomorrow. What I don't understand is, why the pair in the breeding tank have just refused, point blank, to spawn :crazy: I also can't understand why they are hatching so fast, they seem to hatch in a little over 12 hrs, my experience with these fish is, they usually start to hatch in 24 - 36 hrs. The temperature hasn't risen.
Bill

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2017 19:14 #2 by paulv (paul vickers)
Great story, bit of a head scratcher for sure. Just my thoughts. Maybe with the group tank, it's the natural competition between the fish that's pushing them to spawn, more natural environment.

More
20 Aug 2017 08:15 #3 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
That's a thought, Paul, I wondered if it was a sort of breeding frenzy, all those hormones spilling into the water from each other. The fry in the two nests that I couldn't rescue are now free swimming and none of the adult fish appear to be bothering them at all now. One entertaining thing is, the two males leave their nests and meet in the middle of the tank, After a second, perhaps two, they bump bodies and turn and go back to their nests. Perhaps that's their equivalent of human's fist-bump :) There appears to be no aggression at all in the tank.
Bill

More
20 Aug 2017 10:20 #4 by paulv (paul vickers)
Fish that openly breed and entertain, what more can you ask for.

More
21 Aug 2017 08:03 #5 by Bill (Bill Hunter)
Not a lot more, Paul :)

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds