Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

some sort of plec

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • iffymike (iffymike)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2006 07:27 #1 by iffymike (iffymike)
some sort of plec was created by iffymike (iffymike)
Wonder if anyone can help i have a number of L Nos in a 6' community tank, and have just noticed some babies swimming around, well stuck on the glass really, there about 15mm long, can anyone give me a rough idea how old they are?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2006 15:38 #2 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: some sort of plec
Hi Iffymike,

First of all Well done. Most plecs are not easy to breed at the best of time.

Can you give us a description of what they look like or a pic :?: :?: :?:

If the egg sac is still there they are about a week to ten days old. Egg sac is gone I would say a little older but less that a month.

HTH.

Best Regards.................Tony

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • iffymike (iffymike)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
27 Sep 2006 08:54 #3 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: some sort of plec
Well i think i know what they are now, ,i was cleaning all my Mopani and i found a Bristlenose inside, (not till after it had been out of the water for 10 mins,) :evil: a large piece, only way i could get him out was to split it which was no problem, the problem came when i noticed what was a load of jelly, now to be known as babies :D ,i couldn't put these in the main tank so have designated a tank for them, does anyone have any idea what to feed these little buggas? :lol: Any Help greatly appreciated. :wink:

More
27 Sep 2006 12:05 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have some young bristlenose at the moment.
From day 1 i have been feeding them blanched (soaked in boiling water) lettice and cucumber.
2 medium sized lettice leaves and 2 half slices of cucumber last about 24 hours.
They also need plenty of oxygen.

As i type this i notice the female has gone back into the cave with the male so i could have another batch on the way shortly. fingers crossed. :D

More
27 Sep 2006 12:06 #5 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
so cool i have to express my envy plec are the coolest of all fish please tell us more about your tank and photos please please

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
27 Sep 2006 12:18 #6 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
hay mwdragondk below is a link showing my male fanning the eggs.
Not a very clear shot but i had only one chance to take a picture.
I will add a picture of the young later on and add it here.

The tank is basic. 1 cave, 1 peice of bog wood and 2 internal filters.

irishfishkeepers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=333

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds