Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Releasing my captive platys?

More
14 Jan 2008 19:59 #1 by splash (Alan Corcoran)
I have 10 platy fry in a breeding net in my 125l. there are about 4 more in the tank itself who seem to be growing a lot faster then the others and my 3 platys dont seem to bother them anymore. There are plenty of hiding spots for them as i have a nice collection of plants and a fairly large piece of bogwood. So what i am contemplating doing is releasing all my captive fry into the tank. the fry are approx 2 weeks old. My other concern was that the breeding tank is affecting the flow of the water and there really is only the one spot for it. My other fish at the moment are bleeding hearts and neons so i dont think they should be a problem. Besides all that it must be pretty boring in there. Any advice?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2008 22:17 #2 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Release half them after feeding the other fish and then the other half the next day if the first half survived, you should have no trouble if they are two weeksold, with the other fish you mentioned.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Daragh

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Jan 2008 00:56 #3 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Releasing my captive platys?
Welcome to the forum, lots of new folks here these days, its great to see.

Of course there is always the mother nature approach.
These fish breed constantly and, well, the fittest fry will usually survive, with the rest becomeing a very nutritious food.
Its harsh but its natures way.
I had guppys and well, they bred and bred and bred.
In the end I let nature take its course and I got 4-5 really nice adults out of the 80 odd fry.

More
16 Jan 2008 01:19 #4 by splash (Alan Corcoran)
did as you said and after the initial interest from the other fish they are all being left alone and as far as i could see at feeding time, all surviving and having a lot better time than they were in the net. thanks.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jan 2008 09:24 #5 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re:Releasing my captive platys?
Delighted to hear that!
I did the same thing with a batch of week old Yellow Lab fry.
I released into the school of 5 week old Yellow Lab fry and they got slaughtered.
I really thought they'd be OK, the older fry couldn't even eat the younger fry, they just killed them anyway.
I did the same with a batch of week old Rubins fry into a shcool of 3 week old Yellow Lab fry and no problem at all.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds