Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Swordtail

More
15 Jan 2008 10:47 #1 by Ynot (Tony Brabazon)
Iv'e a pregnant swordtail at the minute, got her about 2 weeks ago and she was pregnant when i got her.
Are there any signs when she will give birth of should i put her in the breathing tank i bought now, i dont really want to put her in there if she still has a few weeks to go. How do i know when to put her in?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2008 11:44 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Swordtail
I let this one 'ride' for a while, for Mickey to answer as Livebearers are his chosen field...but in case you did want a quick reply here is my advice:
All female Livebearers do not take kindly to being netted and moved close to 'birth-time' Swordtails are not as delicate in this matter as are female Mollies and Platies but delicate all the same. Livebearer females, moved when heavily gravid will often either give birth early or even abort their brood...I even had a female Molly die after trying to move it to 'safer' quarters.

So, if you plan to use a breeding tank my suggestion would be to move her as soon as possible, if she was already gravid when you bought her the chances are that birth is reasonably imminent.
If your breeding tank happens to be one of those netting ones be aware that larger fish, Angels especially, will 'suck' at the fry even though the mesh is between then and the Angels. Believe me, the 'suck' is very powerful, any fry given this treatment will either die or end up so deformed as to be of no use...also, Swordtails are not averse to eating their own young so my advice would be to remove her as soon after birth as is practicable.
As to evidence of how ready the female is...well, if you can manage to look down on the fish from above you will be able to see the 'stoutness of her better than from sideways on...also, the Gravid Spot (sort of triangular, above the Pelvic fins) becomes darker the closer to birth it becomes. So if the fish is good and stout and the 'spot' is nice and dark...don't delay !!! One last piece of advice, if at all possible trap her in your net and then, if using a breeding trap attempt to submerge the outer edge and try to 'steer' her into it...rather than lift her out in the net to transfer her (does this make sense? - I know what I'm trying to say, but it's hard to put it in words - sorry).
Good luck, let us all know how it goes.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
15 Jan 2008 12:32 #3 by Ynot (Tony Brabazon)
Replied by Ynot (Tony Brabazon) on topic Re:Swordtail
Thanks for the advice John H will put her in this evening. Its a plastic breeding tank with a mesh insert near the bottom for the fry to swim through.

More
15 Jan 2008 23:03 #4 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
sorry for not replying till now been busy of late and not back to normal yet. i would ask what you have in your tank at the moment with her, swordtails can be a problem thus any netting, moving etc would best be avoided. for now if the tank has plenty of hiding places i would leave alone and hope, and next time round i would move her as early as possible and when moving i find a little extra stress coat helps plus some daphnia or bloodworms if they are stressed they won't readily eat thus the sooner they start to eat will show that stress levels are falling or passed have some plants or hiding places ready available this will also reduce stress levels.

if the breeder tank you got is one of those floating things again i would be careful fine for guppys but anything bigger can be a problem

and please let us know how you get on

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
16 Jan 2008 15:11 #5 by Ynot (Tony Brabazon)
I put her in last night and she hasent eaten anything, dosent look too happy mainly just sitting on the bottom of the breeding tank. I have plants and few different hiding places. At he moment there are 6 neons, 2 pleco, 5 swordtails (1 male 4 female), 2 dwarf gourami. Its a 3ft 165lt tank. Am i best just to let her back out and let nature take its course.?

Yep its one of those floating tanks, should i get a different kind?

Thanks
Tony.

More
16 Jan 2008 16:44 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:Swordtail
Tony,
I can see you aren't happy with your female Swordtail in the smaller tank (my guess is that she was moved a bit too late, I, as I was trying to say yesterday, haven't had too much success with moving female livebearers too close to birth time) so I would suggest you let her back in into the main tank and let the fry take their chances.

Your little breeding tank wouldn't have been altogether the best idea anyway as the fry would have slipped through the slots and been in the tank proper anyhow...they'd have still had to take their chances anyway so my suggestion would be to release her and - if you can, get one of those 'net-type' breeding traps - you could then attempt to rescue some of the fry and let them grow up to a size where they can safely be released back with all the other fish. You might just have some unwanted attention from the Gouramis and other Swordtail adults, but I think some will survive the ordeal.
John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
16 Jan 2008 20:29 - 16 Jan 2008 20:33 #7 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
John i would agree totally i try not to move them at all i but fry traps in. i get a small plastic box that will float, either the netting from onions or garlic i put it over the mouth of the box with a rubber band and let it float making sure there is some air trapped this stops it sticking to the sides then i would surrounded with floating plants (Plastic or real), the fry generally head in to it and then i remove them to my fry tank(record 60) i always make sure there is some fine dust food floating in the area around it thus the fry can feed and are drawn to it . I find fry are so fast and are experts at finding the hiding areas just be care they do not get sucked in to pup/filters if they do will send ammonia etc mad

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods
Last edit: 16 Jan 2008 20:33 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods). Reason: spelling grammer

More
17 Jan 2008 09:34 #8 by Ynot (Tony Brabazon)
Thanks for the reply's lads, i let her back in the tank again last night and she is much happier. Think i will just let nature take its course. I will keep you up to date. How long is the gestation period for a fish anyway.?

More
22 Jan 2008 14:36 #9 by Ynot (Tony Brabazon)
OK, when i got home from work on Friday swordtail must have had her fry, tank was messed up plants pulled up and one of two things knocked over. No fry left in tank so it must have been some feeding frenzy. Ah well might have better luck next time.

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds