Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

severums eating eegs

• john gannon (john gannon)
  • john gannon (john gannon)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2008 21:33 #1 by john gannon (john gannon)
severums eating eegs was created by john gannon (john gannon)
hello all
i have a 3 pairs of severums [1 gold 2 w/c rotkiel]who have laid eegs recently.the problem is either they eat them or something else in the tank does.the gold ones have laid eegs 3/4 times rotkiels once each.just wondering should i move the eegs the next time into another tank or just let natiure take its course
thanks in advance
john

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2008 22:03 #2 by JohnH (John)
John,
For what it's worth most Cichlids will eat their first few broods of eggs/fry - until they get to realise what's expected of them - tell, me, when you say 'something else' in the tank eats them obviously you have other occupants and these, as you suggest, could well be the culprits...Ancistrus/Plecos can be devils at this task doing 'lights out' raiding parties, I've found that a small light left on over or close to the tank will help as the parents can then see the 'robbers' and hopefully keep them at bay.

Another egg-stealer has to be all sorts of Loaches, but these are not the only ones!

If you have spare tanks it might be worth putting one of your pairs into it for the next spawning and see if that helps...otherwise it's down to removing the eggs on whatever they've been laid on and hatching them artificially, you'll need an airline set to a gentle 'flow' of bubbles to play close to - but not actually over - the eggs and you can then proceed in much the same way as Angel Fish eggs are hatched. But be warned...Severums lay an awful lot of eggs, you'll need a lot of tank space if you have plans on trying to raise the lot!!!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2008 22:22 #3 by john gannon (john gannon)
Replied by john gannon (john gannon) on topic Re:severums eating eegs
thanks for the reply john

i only noticed the last batch of eegs on monday which could have been there for a couple of days [bank holiday drinking].
they were gone tues' the same pair of sevs seem to be keeping a close eye on a cave in the tank , could it be possible they have moved them.there is also soom plecs and upside down cats in there which always seem interested.
i have mooved one pair into a smaller tank ,female first [1 week] and then the male who is much bigger,the female kicked the shite out of male within one night.
anyway if i do move eegs inthe futere should i turn off the filters and just leave the airstone
thanks again for your reply
John

More
05 Jun 2008 22:55 #4 by JohnH (John)
Yes, that's right...many, if not most SA Cichlids will move their eggs from the spawning site immediately prior to hatching, there is a good chance that this is what's happened. I would suggest you keep an eye on the fish, they'll give you a good indication of whether they still have eggs/fry or not.

So far as turning off the filter(s) I would advise against this, especially if you can lessen the chance of the fry getting sucked in the intakes by 'masking' them for a while, this will reduce the flow but your biological filtration will still be working, albeit at a lesser rate.

And yes, I think most of the Synodontis Catfish are great egg-stealers, I have four Featherfins which would regularly rob all the Angels' eggs every time, I really felt sorry for the poor Angels, they would put all that effort into cleaning the cone then laying the eggs only to be forced aside and have all that good work undone by the bloody Euruptus!!!

ITFS member.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Jun 2008 23:11 #5 by john gannon (john gannon)
thanks john

i think ill just leave well enough alone for the moment and just hope for the best as i would love to see these fish raising fry as its suppose the be fascinating veiwing.this is the first time ive seen them getting teritorial somewhere else in the tank straight after eegs
fingers crossed
thanks again
John

• Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Jun 2008 22:35 #6 by john gannon (john gannon)
i moved one pair of the wild caught rotkiels the other week and didnt think anything was happening so decided to put them back into the main tank when after removing the pair into a bucket i was about to do a water change for the new arrivals [10 clown loach].anyway iaws moving a piece of bogwood when i noticeg a load of wigglers,so put the parents back to no problems.can anyone tell me when do i start feeding etc.and any other advice would be welcome
thanks john

More
22 Jun 2008 01:26 - 22 Jun 2008 01:31 #7 by JohnH (John)
That's good news indeed John.

It's hard to give a particular day when to start feeding them as you won't have known when the eggs were laid or hatched either.

I think observation will be the watchword (sorry...) here - once they are free-swimming and the parents start herding them around will be soon enough to start feeding the fry - don't worry too much if you miss the occasion - they'll always find something to graze upon for a few hours or so. The parents will probably move them at least once more before that time too, especially after the small 'disturbance' and it's not altogether impossible that they might actually eat them - for the same reason, but let's hope they don't.

You might want to get your Brine Shrimp hatching apparatus ready for action!

And if you get youngsters please remember me, they are one of my favourites of the Severum 'varieties'.

John
Sorry, I forgot the all-important postscript...whatever you do keep your newcomers away from the eggs/wrigglers/fry, they'll make very short work of them no matter how diligent the parents try to be at protecting them...

ITFS member.

Last edit: 22 Jun 2008 01:31 by JohnH (John). Reason: Forgot about the Clown Loaches

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2008 16:19 #8 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi john thanks for the reply
the newcomers were despatched to another tank immediatly,and of course you would be more than welcome to some fry if we getthem reared.I do have a few questions and will need some help and advice along the way,anyway heres the way the current situation is
the fry seem to be free swimming[well like tad poles]and the parents are herding them around.i tried today to get a hatchery that you put in the tank but unfortunatly my lfs was out [will get one in for me].so i put 1 pint of water,3 teaspoons of sea salt,2ml. of waterlife artemia shelles[decapsulated]into a watr bottle in a window cill .i also aeriated them.what do i do next?.
should i crush up some black pearl flakes[artemia based]and add some?
should i do a 10% waterchange daily?
should i put some[of the wives]tights around the inlet of the external filter?
thanks again
john

More
22 Jun 2008 19:04 #9 by JohnH (John)
Well John
Progress indeed - I rather feared having removed and then replaced the adults might just have caused them to 'do away' with this brood...wrong again! It just goes to show the imprinted parental instinct these wild and nearly wild fish actually have...

If they're as you describe swimming like tadpoles then I would suggest they aren't ready for feeding yet. It sounds like they're swimming with a 'shimmering' motion in the way tadpoles do, this really gives the idea that they aren't properly free-swimming yet, my definition of free-swimming is when they move around like 'proper' fish do - you will see when that time has come OK. If they were only still 'wrigglers' yesterday then it sounds like it would be at least another two days before this time comes around.

In the meantime by all means 'mask' the filter inlet - tights material is fine but me most vigiland to ensure that the 'mesh' doesn't get fully blocked and cause your filter to slow down, or even worse, stop any sort of flow coming out. You can remedy this by either rinsing the screen out and replacing it - or just replacing it altogether.

I have to say I've never had an enormous success rate with the shelless egs you mention and have heard mixed opinions of the hang-on brineshrimp hatcheries (if it's the one where the shrimps hatch and can swim straight into the tank) but I have never tried one so couldn't possibly comment - I know one or two members have tried them - no doubt one will add their observations in due course. But from your description of the 'hatchery' set up you've done in the meantime it sounds just the ticket. You will need a fine sieve (Hobby make one) or you could just use a (clean) fine meshed handkerchief to get the shrimps from the salt water. A quick rinse then you'll be able to feed them to the fry.
In the meantime you could just add a little 'squeeze' of a sponge filter each day, this will never go amiss and if the adults tolerate you doing it you can certainly do a small(ish) water change daily - increasing as time goes by and they start really eating in earnest.

Good luck with them.

John

ITFS member.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2008 19:31 #10 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi john thanks for your replies
when you say a squeeze from a sponge filter do you mean a squeeze from an established filter
thanks again john

More
22 Jun 2008 21:38 #11 by JohnH (John)
Yes John,

Sorry I omitted to say that - I was trying to get it posted in time to still receive an 8 o'clock phone call - failed on both counts!

So yes, from an established filter would be just great, but not altogether essential - the fry would still manage to glean some sustenance from an established tank until you started giving them supplementary feed, I wouldn't offer the crushed flake yet though, gradually add that to their diet as they start to grow.

John

ITFS member.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Jun 2008 22:14 #12 by john gannon (john gannon)
grand ill do that tommorow if everything is still good
thanks again for your help
john

• Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Jun 2008 16:06 #13 by john gannon (john gannon)
ah the joys of it .got home this evening to find all the fry had been eaten,im not so down onit because this time they got past the egg stage without snacking,so my reckoning is in maybe 2 more attempts[its all a learning curve for both me and them].anyway decided to do a water change and found 3-4 fry in the water out of my external so ive just left them in the bucket .What should i do with thrm
thanks again
john

More
24 Jun 2008 20:49 #14 by JohnH (John)
Oh well, John

A sad ending to this round but I'm glad you've accepted it pretty well, with Severums you're bound to get more - and they're sure to get it right one of these times!

Do you have a small tank you might try to raise your rescued fry in? - I'm reluctant to suggest one of those netting 'traps' as, it's been my finding that larger fish will try to 'suck' the fry through the netting, and that always kills them...

It might just be the best idea to 'write off' the few remainders you have this time - sorry if it sounds a bit mercenary but it might well be the easiest plan of action for you.

Just a thought which we hadn't discussed - will you have a rearing tank for when you take the next (hopefully) batch away from the adults? Large Severums tend to have pretty large broods and you should take this into account and perhaps be pretty selective about how many you actually want to raise...

John

ITFS member.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jun 2008 21:11 #15 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi john
there is only one of the fry left so im not holding out much hope for it.
as regarding another tank i know i will have to get another one :lol: , what size would you suggest ,i was thinking of another 96ltr or 120
thanks again for all your help
john

More
25 Jun 2008 21:28 - 25 Jun 2008 21:30 #16 by JohnH (John)
John,
For growing-on Cichlid fry the definite requirement is plenty of space so I would suggest the largest tank you can afford/have space for...

This becomes even more crucial with Severums as they aren't exactly one of the smaller species either! I'd be interested to know how large your three pairs are? I have a pair, and some spares, of the Heros Notatus Severums which are around eight or nine inches long now - and they're still growing!!!

Be prepared, yours will spawn again before you know it !!!

Best wishes,

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 25 Jun 2008 21:30 by JohnH (John). Reason: wrong spelling (again!!!)

• Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Jun 2008 22:06 #17 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi john
the males are about 8\" and the females are 5
john

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2008 18:35 #18 by john gannon (john gannon)
dingding,round 3 found eegs again today lets see how far we get this time im going to have to train myself to give the fish a bit of breeding space[like a big kid i am]and keep away from tank 200 times a day!
thanks john

More
16 Jul 2008 22:17 #19 by PAULHARTE25 (PAUL HARTE)
Best of luck with this brood john,sounds like you've had a tough time so far

Paul

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2008 23:02 #20 by john gannon (john gannon)
hi paul
i wouldnt say a hard time its all great fun and a good learning curve ive also just noticed another pair of these rotkiels in my main tank cleaning rocks and defending an area .If these lay egs im going to have to take them of them and try raise them myself.with that and the wife due in the next 2 weeks it will be all hands to the deck::woohoo: :woohoo:

More
17 Jul 2008 01:12 #21 by JohnH (John)
Well John,
As you say, here you go again.

Looks like what with the Severums and the \"new addition\" to come you'll have your work cut out, don't worry too much about the fish they can take care of themselves much better than you might expect !!!

Perhaps they'll be more successful this time, I'd suggest you'll be too busy to be looking at them every few minutes soon - so make the most of the time you have to do so while you still can!

Good luck and best wishes (on all counts).

John

ITFS member.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Jul 2008 16:06 #22 by john gannon (john gannon)
just a quick update and a few more questions.the eegs started hatching today and the parents have moved them,there doesnt seem to be that many from what i can see.could they have moved them to 2 spots ie.2 sides of the bogwood
i started to do the bb thing 2 days ago[probably getting a head of myself]will these be alright if there left in the salt water for a couple of days or should i start again as hey have hatched already.when feeding these do you use all of them and just kep prepearing them
i had been doing a 20 litre water change every day since the last lot became dinner but have stopped since mon/tue ,can i start them again or should i leave it a couple of days more

thanks john

More
19 Jul 2008 19:16 - 19 Jul 2008 20:56 #23 by JohnH (John)
11/10 for enthusiasm!!!

John, my inclination would be to hold off resuming large water changes for fear of upsetting the 'status quo' - at least for the moment.

To your BrineShrimps, as Daragh says in an earlier thread they would appear to lose much of their nutritional value after day one so I would feed the ones you have now to your other fish, not sure that adult Severums would bother with them but fish up to and including adult Corys absolutely gorge on them! I reckon you should then start another lot up and, if the fry aren't eating by the time the Shrimps hatch, feed them again to your other fish, keep up this regime until you see the fry 'pecking' around...this will signify that they are now ready to be eating - then start feeding your Brineshrimp, twice, or even three times a day if possible...so you'll be using quite a lot of eggs/shrimps initially.
I usually have two different cultures running at any given time, started on alternate days. That way I use one lot while the next lot are fully hatching (so I'm always using the previous day's hatch - hope this makes sense?).

Best of luck John,

John
As a postscript, I just re-read this and feel it might be a little misleading...I intended to tell you I actually only use a culture once the eggs have been in the water for 48 hours, then next day I use the one started a day after...i.e. once they've been 'wet' for a further 48 hours, having re-started the first one after having used it the previous day...I hope this clarifies things a little better. (well, I knew what I meant - but it was me who was writing it:silly: ).

ITFS member.

Last edit: 19 Jul 2008 20:56 by JohnH (John). Reason: clarified something

• Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Aug 2008 16:57 #24 by john gannon (john gannon)
hello all
just a quick update .the severums on there own soon swalloowed up the eggs and the ones inthe main tank laid more i waited ill they became wrigglers and took about 50 of hem out to a small tank .the ones left where gone the next day.the rest of the fish where all queing up for extra rations so the parents had them.Any way i know have about 50 fry free swimming a week who have trebled in size and are being fed 4 times a day on baby brine shrimp and crushed black pearl flake
thanks for everyones help
john

More
09 Sep 2008 23:42 #25 by betdownbiddy (ciaran geraghty)
Good work john, unfortunately my exploits have never got that fair with my gold pair breeding, they were always eaten..... I'd even gone as far as buying a turkey baster to deliver the brine shrimp to the exact spot of the new hatch lings..... how sad was that...

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds