Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fry

More
18 Jun 2008 15:32 #1 by coaks (clyde coakley)
fry was created by coaks (clyde coakley)
can anyone tell me i have to pairs of cichlids that breed around the same time so today i decided to strip them so got the first out that was grand got bout 15 fry swimming round grand, then got the second out only for her to splt them out and see that they still have egg sacks, ive done this with convicts and after a week or so they all died not to bothered bout them they dont stop breeding but dont want the same to happen to my other ones as i mite not get that many fry, would be greatful for any tips.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2008 21:29 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Re:fry
Sorry, your post is a little confusing, well - I'm confused - not a hard thing to happen!
I think you would best be advised to 'write off' your fry with yolk sacs, I've only had very mixed results when getting female mouthbrooders to eject eggs before they're ready to let them go. I have saved a few by transferring similarly developed fry into a breeding net and having water from a sponge filter 'play' over them, to keep them 'tumbling' for want of a better description - but I must stress these successes were very limited.

You say that you failed when you took Convict fry at a similar stage of development but obviously as these aren't mouthbrooders you just meant you took them away from the parents at this stage? A big problem newcomers to fish-breeding - but especially Cichlids - have comes from trying to feed the fry too early, they will not eat until they are free-swimming and have absorbed their yolk-sacs. By feeding the fry before they are ready to eat can result in polluted water, the food isn't being eaten and will quickly start to deteriorate and pollute the water, and polluted water can spell big problems for fry - often killing them, sadly.

Hope that helps a bit.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
18 Jun 2008 22:13 #3 by coaks (clyde coakley)
Replied by coaks (clyde coakley) on topic Re:fry
tanx john for that bit of info i have read bout tumbling them when there eggs i would,nt be that good, so am i rite in sayin even when they still have sack attached to them they still need to be tumbeled in sum way even tough they have a head an tail and are riggling around.

More
19 Jun 2008 13:12 #4 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Replied by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien) on topic Re:fry
I'm confused too. Your post was like a bad text message.

How did you strip fry from Convicts, they are not mouthbrooders?

Anyway, it looks like you should leave the fish alone and let them go for a longer term with the fry. Convicts are great parents from my experience breeding them so there is no need to interfere with the fry.

What are the Cichlids you have in the tank?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
19 Jun 2008 16:51 #5 by coaks (clyde coakley)
Replied by coaks (clyde coakley) on topic Re:fry
cant tink of the name of the cichlid i got the fry from but will get back with that, i was just useing the convicts fry as an example i no they lay eggs an hatch but just as they started to swim i used a hose an took them out of the tank an put them into floating tank an after a week or so they all started to dye so was wondering if the other fry i have in the floating tank that still have sum sack still attached need any special attenshion, sorry did,nt explain better hope this lets you know what i mean.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds