Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

guppies tails being eaten

More
08 Aug 2008 10:37 #1 by DAVIDL (DAVID LACEY)
hi im tottally new to fish keeping. all my guppies tails look like there being eaten by something only started recently. i have mostly guppies in the tank apart from 1 siamese fighter and 3 fish i dont know the name off they have red faces with zebra tails. and 2 flat looking fish think there called barbs. would any off these be eating the guppies tails

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2008 11:48 #2 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Hi David,

It sounds as though the Barbs might be your culprits. Tiger Barbs/Odessa Barbs/Pentazona Barbs/Ruby Barbs can be notorious fin nippers particularly if kept in small groups. Bigger groups of Barbs reduces aggression and usually keeps it within the group. I always found Rosy Barbs and Cherry Barbs not be as nippy and therefore ideal community fish. Can you google these fish and see if they are the ones you have?

The fish with the Red face and zebra tail sounds like Runny-Nosed Tetra which are peaceful but having said that will do a small amount of fin nipping but nothing noticable IME.

Peter

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
08 Aug 2008 11:49 - 08 Aug 2008 11:52 #3 by JohnH (John)
Hello David and welcome to the Forum.
Time for a little self-help here, go to Google Images and put in the name 'Tiger Barb' - if the fish depicted is one of your fish you've found the culprit.

Siamese Fighter could just be to blame, but they are generally quite ponderous and would only attack using 'stealth' so I don't think that is your tail eater.

Conversely, if you can post a picture or two of the fish you have other than the Fighter and the Guppies themselves this will give someone the opportunity to hopefully discover your offender.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2008 11:52 by JohnH (John). Reason: Spelt 'the' wrongly - whatever next???

More
08 Aug 2008 13:51 #4 by DAVIDL (DAVID LACEY)
hi i looked up google images and the are tinfoil barbs. would it be best to take these out and see if its still happening

More
08 Aug 2008 14:01 #5 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Tinfoil Barbs require a huge tank, 5 foot length minimum IMO. They are very boisterous fish and not suited to a community of small fish.

I would get rid of them as soon as possible unless your tank is 400ltrs plus.

More
08 Aug 2008 14:49 #6 by DAVIDL (DAVID LACEY)
its a 70 lire tank. i dont know anyone who keeps fish so should i give them to the local pet shop
thanks

More
08 Aug 2008 15:16 #7 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Yeah, get them back to the pet shop alright.

A 70 ltr is completely out of the question for them.

All the best,

Peter.

More
09 Aug 2008 00:10 #8 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Welcome to the forum David.

It would be know harm to ID your other fish too. Can you post a photo, there is a post in the photo section telling you how or PM me if you have problems. Although it is most likely that the barbs are nipping the guppies tails, it is possible that it is fin rot. How long have the barbs been with the guppies and was it only recently that the tails looked nipped??

Daragh

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds