Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Breeding galaxy rasbora.

More
26 Oct 2008 17:36 #1 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Would like to see if anybody has had any success breeding these fish.I am looking to get a few soon and will try to breed them.From what i have read this great looking fish is already in danger and all fish keepers who purchase them should try to breed.This would be my first attempt at breeding so any advice on tank size,filtration,lighting,water temp would be a great help.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Oct 2008 23:17 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
This fish has gone trough so many name change in the past 2 years. I think the latest official name is Danio margaritatus. No longer a rasbora. But i think we will keep calling it galaxy rasbora until they rename it, again.

I have bred these with limited success in the past. The young also had very faded colouring so i stopped breeding them.
I used to keep them in a small 20L tank, sponge filter, Temp 22-24c (same as their natural habitat), pH 6.5 and some java moss.
I placed 2 pairs in the tank and fed them mostly live foods.
Eggs were found in small numbers on the moss but they had very little adhesion and would drop to the bottom of the tank if disturbed. I suggest keeping the base of the tank clean to prevent fungus.
Not to long after getting them and breeding them a few times news came out that the water were they came from was hard water. So i slowly changed them and the fry to harder water. This was a bad idea. They dont do so well in hard water. Breeding stopped and i lost most of the fry shortly after.
After speaking to a couple of people keeping these they agreed softer water is better.
Once i slowly changed back to softer water they bred again.
On a recent trip to the UK i spoke to a breeder of these and he pointed out that raising the temp to 28c gets much better results with breeding. I would only do this short term and not keep them at this temp. indefinitely.
When the fry hatch they hang around the surface, so i suggest floating plants for cover. If the surface is dense with plants all you have to do to collect the fry is push the plants down with your hand and collect the floating fry from the surface with a net.
You can keep the fry in a breeding trap with the same water as the parents until they are 1/4 size of the parents. They wont eat them at this stage. I have found some fry survive in the tank with the parents.

I hope all goes well with your breeding project. Darren

More
27 Oct 2008 13:23 #3 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Thanks for the advice Darren.Should be an interesting project for me and hope i have some success.Time now for me to get a breeding tank.I think a small clear seal should do the job so if anyone is selling one let me know.

More
05 Nov 2008 00:19 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Orca i have just started to breed these fish again from the ones i got recently.
This time the fry stay very low in the tank for the first 3-4 days.
If you plan on leaving the parents in the tank i would suggest placing some java moss in a section of the tank for cover for the fry.
If you plan to just place a pair in a tank for breeding and removing them again. You wont have a problem with the parent seeing them as food.
I would still use the java moss as a spawning mop/site.

More
05 Nov 2008 11:22 #5 by fourmations (NIall SMyth)
hi guys

i love these little fellas
put me on the list for fry if it works out!

rgds

More
05 Nov 2008 22:19 #6 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
I look forward to seeing the results and i wish you great success

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
05 Nov 2008 22:42 #7 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
If it all works out and i get fry i will be over the moon.

More
27 Nov 2008 17:17 #8 by louis (David Knowles)
Just checking to see how you are getting on with your quest. would love to buy some from you WHEN ur succesful. I believe Whackers Parnel street had some for sale

More
30 Nov 2008 13:54 #9 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Still looking for small breeding tanks.So if anyone is selling let me Know.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds