Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dwarf Rasbora (Boraras maculatus)

More
06 Nov 2008 00:00 #1 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
I recently got a couple of these really personable guys for my slow n soft tank. I'm thinking of trying to get them breeding but not sure if i've got a great pair. Has anyone had any luck with these guys?
Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Nov 2008 17:20 #2 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
bump B)

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

More
24 Nov 2008 18:01 #3 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
I have no experience of these lovely little guys, a google search seesm to suggest that they are not too difficult to breed, I don't know anyone that has bred them.

I would expect raising the small fry might be the biggest issue.

Daragh

More
24 Nov 2008 18:05 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hi Andrew. I have kept these and they would lay eggs on java moss. I never removed the eggs to raise the young. The parents would always eat the eggs so you would have to remove either the eggs or the parents to have success with them.
Feeding them live food twice a week should bring them in to breeding condition.
I imagine the fry would be tiny so insuforia then microworms as first foods should do.

More
24 Nov 2008 21:34 #5 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Daragh - yeah those guys would be tiny

Platty252 - is there nothing you haven't put your hand to breeding ? :cheer:

I'm gonna get a few more and will try over the Christmas break, will let you know how i get on.Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary

More
24 Nov 2008 22:04 #6 by Orca (Eoin Walsh)
Would be good to see if you could breed them.They are great looking fish.Might get a few if the av have them in stock.

More
25 Nov 2008 01:24 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Andrew most of the time all it takes is good clean water and good food. If this doesn't work a slight alteration to the water or food usually works.

Orca did you get any microrasbora galaxy yet? If you did give me a shout regarding breeding them without increasing the temp. to unsuitable levels.

More
26 Nov 2008 01:10 #8 by zig (zig)
I have had a small shoal of these (about 12-15) in a large heavily planted tank for the last year or so and I don't think they have ever bred, wouldn't mind if they did, should be ideal conditions for them in that tank to give it a shot, maybe they are just eating the eggs as Darren suggests. Although I have never purposely tried to breed them this would be el natural, just letting them do there own thing.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds