Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

breeding angel fish

• evan (evan)
  • evan (evan)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
07 Feb 2006 05:59 #1 by evan (evan)
breeding angel fish was created by evan (evan)
:?: Have two Angel fish. Thought they were both male as they seemed to be getting agressive towards one another and towards other fish in tank. How ever i came home last friday only to find about 200 eggs laid on a leaf and my 2 angels defending them with gusto. Unfortunately all eggs had disappeared by next morning.
Questions
1. Is it difficult to rear the eggs?
2. how soon will they lay eggs again?
3. What do I need to do next time?
4. one is a KOi angel the other a black marble, does this make sense?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2006 08:12 #2 by zebadee (zebadee)
Hi,

A few answers in so far as I can:

1) No, the best thing to do is leave the eggs alone and let the fish look after them. Some people advocate removing the eggs to a seperate breeding area in the same tank but I have always found this to be less than successful.

2) Usually the fish lay eggs every 6-8 weeks although some species require triggering factors like a drop in water temperature.

3) I suspect that if you have other fish in the tank (especially ancistrus, pleckos or shrimp) they will have enjoyed an egg feast after lights out.

Hth.

More
07 Feb 2006 08:26 #3 by Pablo (Pablo -)
If you dont have a breeding tank where you can move the parents and the eggs.... try leaving a nightlight beside the tank so the Angels can defend the eggs... (This worked for me) :wink:

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Apr 2006 16:15 #4 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: breeding angel fish
They maybe two females :roll:

Q1. No, if you have some time on your hands and lots of dedication.

Q2. Good quality pairs will lay eggs every 7 - 10 days.

Q3. It depends what you want to achieve and what else is in the tank. If you supply more info I will give a more detailed answer.

Q4. Yes, Angels are angels and colour does not matter for them.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards.................Tony

• gm333 (gm333)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Apr 2006 21:41 #5 by gm333 (gm333)
Replied by gm333 (gm333) on topic Re: breeding angel fish
If its possible and you dont mind the ugliness of it you can place a divder between the angels and other fish till the fry have emerged and can hide and flee from the foragers.

• Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
25 Apr 2006 17:39 #6 by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan)
Replied by Tony Vaughan (Tony Vaughan) on topic Re: breeding angel fish
Hi GM333,

Yes, but the parents might just as easily see them as a snack as other fish would. You could put in a divider so that the pair raise the fry but I would have the part where the angels are as a bare bottomed. Easier to clean, easier to feed but not to many places to hide.

Best Regards.................Tony

• MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
  • MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)'s Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Sep 2006 03:06 #7 by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
Replied by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale) on topic Re: breeding angel fish
you might want to put in some Java Moss or some othere small and mid size plants to make the parents feel more safe. My first batch I used Slate w/ Jave Moss and then from there on they had there own tank.
What are you going to do w/ the Fry ?

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds