Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

breeding tanganyikans

More
25 Feb 2009 14:47 #1 by peter (peter campbell)
was just wondering how long it would take for lelupi fry to grow to a size that a LFS would buy them at?
any tips for breeding and growing out appreciated!
what filter and water changes should i use for growing out tank

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2009 23:46 #2 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
if you have bred them congrats if not this will hopefully help you,Leleupis are secretive cave spawners, the male generally being larger than the female, the male entices the female to the cave where she lays her eggs usually on a wall or roof of the cave, during this time she will be the only female the male will allow in his turf. They form monogamous pairs but only during spawning period and are very fierce parents when it comes to protecting their fry. They lay about 100 eggs approx but can lay up to 250 in a cave which is guarded by both parents,these eggs are mostly white in colour my first batch i thought was fungused luckly i didnt throw them out, just thought the parents or other tankmates would eat them, the eggs usually hatch in about 3 to 4 days, and the fry will feed on their egg sacs for about 3 days. During this time, the female usually never comes out of her cave and the male i had stayed outside guarding it. After that period, the female will start to swim out of her cave and the fry may be moved to a pit inside the cave. The pair will take turns watching over the fry which will be free-swimming in after 5 to 6 more days. You can then feed them with newly hatched brineshrimp, Cyclops nauplii and crushed dry food, about 2 to 3 time a day. The Leleupi babies are sensitive to bacterial build-up and are susceptible to bacterial diseases. Frequent partial water changes like once or twice a week, with not more than 20% of the total volume of water is ideal. The parents will guard their young fiercely, until the fry are ready to be on their own, mine even attacked my hand. The pair's bond usually breaks after the hatch, but usually will be the same pair that breeds again.

As for tank well if your starting a breeding project tank of 60 to 80 liters with sand / coral sand substrate will comfortably house a pair. Make sure the pair is compatible or if you have a proven pair all the better. Add lots of rocks or slates to form caves mine constantly use the underside of an oyster shell. apparently some suggest bright lights to promote algae growth, as this will be beneficial for the fry or so i've heard, but theres always plenty on the rocks in my tank the tropheus love it. The following water parameters are ideal for breeding Leleupis: pH = 7.5 to 8.0, GH = 8 to 14, temperature = 27 to 30°C. if you go this route always make sure the tank is cycled before adding you pair or do as i do and use some media from the main tanks filter to speed this up. Once they are moved, allow them to stay there for a couple of weeks minimum if any water changes. On the third week, perform a large water change of about 50% to induce mating I generally have it a degree or two colder. Feeding them with some live food also helps to bring them into breeding condition again an in tank brine shrimp hatcher is great to get them into condition, as for filter choice my advice is a decent sized internal air driven box filter as you wont have occur what happened me, sucked into the internal and thrown out into the overhead filter...realised this too late with huge losses, now using internal air driven box filters their survival rate has greatly increased

hope this helps you

oh yes as for size to sell them on i'd generally leave it till they're about an inch.

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
26 Feb 2009 17:40 #3 by peter (peter campbell)
would i need a 80l tank for just the two fish?
I was planning on getting two tanks about 20" x 15" x18"
would this be suitable for growing out and breeding
how much do you sell you baby lelupi to the shops for?
what other small fish have you breed?
and where can i get a suitable filter for fry?how much?
this is still only a plan and i want to do it right so thanks for the help so far,any more appreciated.that was a lot of typing

More
26 Feb 2009 17:41 #4 by peter (peter campbell)
oh and are those temperature not a bit high for tanganyika?
sorry for so many questions

More
26 Feb 2009 23:23 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
for a breeding project the 80l for two may not be a requirement if you have a colony with ample territories for each fish to call their own, its more a case of preventing casualties if hostilities occur, as for the growing on tanks i'd personally go for at least a 36x18x12, 100 - 250 fry need a lot of room to grow but you might succeed in smaller tanks if you spread the load.. as for selling them to shops don't expect to get rich off it a couple of euro per fish is good i generally swap for equipment, food stuffs or new stock etc, most lfs should have box filters generally around about €10 air pump probably €30 for a good one, if not pm me and i'll let you know where to get them.. as for others i've bred so far have been julies, brichardi's and tropheus... my occelatus are looking good at the moment so fingers crossed and i've some compressiceps, leptosoma and frontosas getting close to breeding size so lets see what happens
no the temp i keep my tanks at are 28 degrees and it works for them, never seen them happier and more alive... it is smack betwwen their temp range in the wild...yep there was a little bit of typing there but what the hey, if i can help i'll try

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds