Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Apistogramma agassizi fry

More
20 Apr 2009 17:44 #1 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
Got a pair of Apistogramma agassizi two weeks ago. They took up residence at opposite ends of the tank. Noticed the female was missing the last few days, and thought she was dead. Cleaning the tank yesterday, I noticed debris moving around with her, of course it was fry. There are about 15 and they swim with her. There is moss just beside her cave, and the fry seem to graze on it.

Can anyone tell me what I should do. What do I feed them on and how long do I leave them in the community tank, a Rio 300 with about 40 other small fish, rasboras, corys, platys and ottos. Will be parents eventually eat them?

Have been doing research on how to breed the pair, and had not expected this to happen for a while yet.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Apr 2009 20:11 #2 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
congratulations .... if i were you i would get either a breeding net , or a second small tank and seperate the fry to save them becoming a food source for the rest of the tank ...

then get yourself a bottle of liquifry and feed them as instructed ( i think its 3 to 4 times a day ) after a few weeks of this you could feed them crushed flake food or even brine shrimp or microworms if you have them .

obviously when they get big enough that they are more than a mouthful for any of your other fish ; you could release them back into your community .

thats wot i would do anyway ....... hope this helps and that i haven't given advice that someone else might find wrong

congrats again

martin

More
20 Apr 2009 20:28 #3 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
btw .... i got my hands on some apistogramma borelli last week so i'm hoping i have the same success as you soon

More
20 Apr 2009 20:31 #4 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Apistogramma agassizi are lovely fish;) only two weeks and fry:ohmy:

Wondering would they mix with rams in a community tank..?

If any of the fry live and grow give us a shout i wouldnt mind buyin if you wanted to sell

More
20 Apr 2009 20:32 #5 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
alkiely wrote:

Apistogramma agassizi are lovely fish;) only two weeks and fry:ohmy:

Wondering would they mix with rams in a community tank..?

If any of the fry live and grow give us a shout i wouldnt mind buyin if you wanted to sell

i have 4 golden rams in the same tank as my borelli and they get on fine ..... maybe if spawning occurs it could be a different story , but so far so good

More
20 Apr 2009 20:49 #6 by Trimax (Trimax)
Well done man, I love apistogramma . This one should annoy the people who are really trying to breed them and cant!:P

More
20 Apr 2009 22:17 #7 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
Tanks for the advice guys. Will post a photo/video tomorrow...

More
21 Apr 2009 11:39 - 21 Apr 2009 13:14 #8 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
As promised, sorry about the quality, reflections on tanks and poor quality sound.

Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 13:14 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke).

More
21 Apr 2009 13:59 #9 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
that male is an absolutely stunning fish .... you've just wet my appetite .... i reckon i might have to invest in a few of them to go along with everything else in my tank

nice vid by the way .... and congrats again

martin

More
21 Apr 2009 14:14 #10 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Tank looks great any other pics of the tank:laugh:

More
21 Apr 2009 18:24 #11 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
Tanks again, pure luck really, bought the pair last week.

No more photos, sorry. Tank is only going since 30 March. I know, dont be horrified, I had 2 other tanks, where I started the filter media and had plants growing for a month. Transferred the plants and media to the new tank. Also had got an RO unit, before I started the new tank.

At the moment I have Juwel t5 lights and filter, with diy co2. I need to get additional lights and co2 tank and regulator.

Will post more when the tank has developed a little more.

More
21 Apr 2009 20:54 #12 by alkiely (alan kiely)
Yeah no probs, i like the way you have the tank laid out with the stones etc wanted a look coz its given me ideas ha ha

More
21 Apr 2009 21:25 - 21 Apr 2009 21:25 #13 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Congratulations on the fry Puggy :)
Is that an apistogramma cacatuoides in the video aswell :woohoo:
Here is 1 of my Agassizi, taken last week

LB
Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 21:25 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran).

More
21 Apr 2009 22:14 - 21 Apr 2009 22:30 #14 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke)
LB

hope its not, I bought the pair labeled Apistogramma agassizi,see www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_agassizi.php

Also noticed the parents "eat" the fry and move around and spit them back out!

The full video, about 2 mins is at
Last edit: 21 Apr 2009 22:30 by Puggy (Fergus Cooke).

More
21 Apr 2009 22:36 #15 by LimerickBandit (Donal Doran)
Puggy wrote:

LB

hope its not, I bought the pair labeled Apistogramma agassizi,see www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_agassizi.php

Cool its a triple red agassizi as far as i know
Great video ;)

Time to create page: 0.055 seconds