Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Aphyosemion australe eggs

More
08 May 2009 12:48 #1 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
Has anyone ever bought these off the internet, how hard is it to get them to hatch ?

Andrew

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2009 01:38 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hi Andrew. There are 3 different types. Australe wild form also known as Cape Lopez lyretail and then the 2 aquarium strains chocolate and gold.
There seems to be a problem of late getting these to grow anywhere near there potential size. In particular the gold form.
If you do decide to buy eggs check with the seller the size of the parents.
Hatching these eggs is not a problem. they are not fussy compared to some killi eggs.
For best results i would use a tub with 2" of water. They need shallow water when hatching so the young can hit the surface to take a gulp of air to fill there swim bladder. If they dont they could become bellysliders.
The pH 6-7, temp about 22c.
The depth of the water can be gradually increased to 10-12" in 14 days or so.
This dosent seem to be a problem when the young hatch in the tank the eggs are laid in. No belly sliders because the stronger siblings consume them. The strongest survive.

Before you rush out and buy eggs wait untill after the show. You might just get what you want.;) Or ask me about eggs at the next meeting.

More
09 May 2009 06:23 - 09 May 2009 06:32 #3 by Zoom (Zoom)
I have Australe Red/Orange (Cape Lopez lyretail)as platty mentioned. Not spawning at the moment,still a bit young. They are getting there though. If these are of any interest to you. I lost one of the parents but have a good mix of fry on the go. They are roughly the size of a neon at the moment, If you want a pair to try breed on yourself , give me a pm.
I found them a little harder to breed then some of the other Killi's I have/had and found they like really dirty almost polluted water to spawn,dirty water to spawn dont take that too literally , I just mean worse conditions than I prefer to keep my tanks. Newly hatched Australe I have took BBS straight off mind you I have the slightly smaller San Francisco Bay shrimp.
Anyway:
I found with eggs been shipped can be a bit hit and miss , some good hatches some bad and some no hatch. I think its from the X ray machine on some post packets. But dont know for sure , it could be the water they are coming from????
Hatch in packet in transit sometimes due to delays!!! Many other reasons too lead to the hit and miss.
Adding it all up I'd say had 70% good expeince 30% bad on egg shipments. If you can get them from the UK I always found it best and ask them to post Monday Morning if possible avoids them lying in a depot for a weekend or 2.
Last edit: 09 May 2009 06:32 by Zoom (Zoom).

More
09 May 2009 21:57 #4 by Andrew (Andrew Taaffe)
cheers guys, i am getting more and more interested in these guys again, and would like to get them spawning and breeding at some point, the eggs were on offer from Paris, but also saw some UK based ones though may need to leave the breeding for a while i've got betta splendens trying out again, but have a few issues there - will note them on another post for advices...

See you on Tuesday and next weekend

ITFS Club Secretary
email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
see the ITFS tab above for more information www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/itfs

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds