Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Female Endler

More
07 Jun 2009 10:43 #1 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
hi guys .... all my reading about these fish say that basically to breed .... " just add water "

well this morning i looked into my endler tank and saw one of the females laying on the bottom of the tank and breeding very quickly ....

she has quite a large gravid spot which is a lovely shade of black :lol:

was just wondering if anyone knows , if this might be the normal birthing behaviour for female endlers

tanks in advance

martin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jun 2009 10:55 #2 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Well they are similar to any livebearer in that they are very easy to see if they are holding and if the gravid spot is very evident and she is swollen then its possible she may be ready to have the fry. I find that most livebearers actually tend to stay off the bottom when they are giving birth, however it is down to the individual fish I suppose. Are her fins moving alot also ? Prehaps its time to place her into the breeding net as the likelihood is that the fry will get eaten anyhow by either the endler herself or the other fish.
Id keep an eye on her, contrary to popular belief,the livebearers actually get the fry out without too much hassle to be honest, as long as there isnt some male endler waiting on the other side ready to start the whole proceess off again!
Gavin

More
07 Jun 2009 10:59 #3 by mickeywallace (Michael Wallace Cath Woods)
Hi Martin
Have to say this does not sound good! i would have concerns here. i would suggest a water change of 25%

if possiable check KH/Gh.

there could be a number of reasons for this
birthing Problem eg brech
the fry are draining mum to much
or infection

mickey

Mickey Wallace & Cath Woods

More
07 Jun 2009 10:59 #4 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
yeah gavin thanks .... her fins were moving very quickly too ... so i now have her isolated .... here's hoping she does pop them out .... i could do with some additions to my school of them ... 1 must have about 45 if not 40 of them ..... but only about 7 or 8 are females

will keep ya posted if anything happens

cheers again

martin

More
07 Jun 2009 11:23 #5 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Martin, dont keep her in the breeders net for too long if she hasnt had some fry out at that stage. Holding them in can stress them out when they are already under some pressure. I presume its big enough for her anyhow as endlers tend to be smallish. Again as mentioned, I presume the female is large enough now to know if she is pregnant or not. If she is relatively small and breathing heavily at the bottom of the tank then it would be a concern certainly.
Also in terms of having the fry reared etc, have some liquidfry ready for them when they hatch and finally, its worth remembering that they will interbreed with one another when they get older.

Keep us updated and if she hasnt had any fry by this evening then Id consider realising her back into the tank. Also try and have a look as her tail, does it dip somewhat down?
Gavin

More
08 Jun 2009 21:49 #6 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
Martin,
Any update on her?
Gavin

More
08 Jun 2009 22:43 #7 by duzzy1 (Martin Kennedy)
still watchin to be honest ..... nothin by yesterday evening so i released her back into the tank ...... still watchin her though and noticed 3 or 4 other ones that are lookin pretty gravid too

fingers crossed

martin

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds