Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Angelfish Breeding

More
02 Oct 2009 21:40 #1 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
As I write this my Angelfish are laying eggs on a flowerpot in a tank about three feet away from me. I've kept Angelfish for years and they've spawned loads of times for me but I can never seem to get the fry past the first week or so. I've tried leaving the parents with the eggs and/or fry and I've tried taking either the parents or the eggs away from each other but to no avail.
The eggs either fungus or the fry die or get eaten just after they start free swimming.

This is only the second time this particular pair have spawned (they devoured their babies the first time) and I plan to leave them to look after their offspring for as long as possible.

Any hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd love to even get one or two babies to adulthood.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2009 14:52 #2 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Well I checked out the eggs this morning and there was only about a third of them left and a lot of these were fungused. I took the parents out and set up an airstone to keep the water moving around the eggs and I added some anti slime and velvet medicine to the water.

Probably doomed to failure AGAIN!

Ah well.

Maybe next time.....

More
05 Nov 2009 17:56 #3 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Ok. This time the parents laid eggs on the magnetic glass cleaner in my community tank.(this is very handy as it can be removed easily) They were being crazy aggressive especially to each other. They've damaged each other's mouths and the male has like a red bruise just under his jaw.

The male took a good two hours fertilizing the eggs and then the female drove him away and he was sulking at the far end of the tank.

She was really looking after the eggs this time, fanning them with her fins and keeping other fish away.

I decided to remove the eggs to a hatching tank at this stage as there's too many hungry mouths in the community tank.

I stuck the glass cleaner to a small two gallon homemade tank with a heater, airstone and sponge filter and added anti-fungus medication to the water.

Not one egg is fungused and they all look healthy. They should be starting to hatch this evening or tomorrow.

Maybe this time......:unsure:
:unsure:

More
05 Nov 2009 22:59 #4 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
Best of luck, hope it work's out for you this time....................Tom.B)

More
05 Nov 2009 23:04 #5 by padraigr (Padraig Rooney)
Best of luck I'm waiting anxiously with you in spirit. Padraig :)

More
05 Nov 2009 23:05 #6 by neki (neki)
Replied by neki (neki) on topic Re:Angelfish Breeding
This should be the right time for the eggs to hatch! Well done Jaffacakehead.

I've two alngels myself but I can't distinguish which is male or female. I've always liked to have a pair of angels.

Do you know any trick of how to distinguish them?

Anyway good luck with the eggs:)

More
05 Nov 2009 23:17 #7 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
best of luck jaffa... dont be too concerned if a few egg turn white. also get ready for frequent feeding and water changes

More
05 Nov 2009 23:36 #8 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
They haven't hatched yet and there are now a few white ones but nothing to worry about as Damian said.

As far as sexing Angelfish it is very difficult until the female is holding eggs at which time the egg tube (aka cloaca, aka ovipositor) becomes visible. When she's in condition any male angelfish in the tank also start to show their cloaca which is thinner than the female's.
Other slight differences are the angle of the anal fin and male's eyes are usually a bit more red.

This is the third time I've picked a male and female from a tank full of angels in the lfs. Sometimes its just a hunch. You have to stand and watch them for a long time before choosing and try not to take your eye off the one's you've chosen.

There's always the method of buying six immature fish and waiting for them to pair up or buying a breeding pair.

More
05 Nov 2009 23:40 #9 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Thanks everyone for all your support and encouragement.

The angelfish have gone back to wrestling each other again.
They've got really violent. I know a certain amount of this is normal but its like they're trying to kill each other.

I might have to seperate them and treat their wounds only this might cause even more wrestling when they pair up again.

More
06 Nov 2009 00:04 - 06 Nov 2009 00:05 #10 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
If the female was looking after the fry/eggs earlier it might be a good idea to separate them now.

Otherwise you might loose one of the parents, and when you put them back together put the male to the female.

Hope this helps,

Tom.B)
Last edit: 06 Nov 2009 00:05 by Tom (Tom Brecknell).

More
06 Nov 2009 06:55 #11 by Frontosa (Tim kruger)
Hi,
you could add a few shrimps into the tank.They are great little helpers to keep the fungus of the eggs.Regards,Tim

Midlands - in the heart of Ireland.

Keeping and breeding : Frontosa Blue Zaires , Synodontis Petricola , Tropheus Red Rainbow (Kasanga) , Tropheus Moliro . Regulary fry for sale.
Community tank with P.Kribensis and different livebearers.

More
06 Nov 2009 09:27 #12 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
YES!! the eggs have hatched. Time to get some brine shrimp going so they have food in a few days.
Then the hard work starts with water changing and feeding.

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

More
06 Nov 2009 15:00 #13 by Jaffacakehead (John McPartland)
Here's the babies. Some are still attached to the glass cleaner. The rest are on the bottom of the tank.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds