Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Guppy Fish

• Denny2 (Denny2)
  • Denny2 (Denny2)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Apr 2006 09:01 #1 by Denny2 (Denny2)
Guppy Fish was created by Denny2 (Denny2)
Hi can anyone help me, i have recently bought a tank and some fish
i have swords plattys and neons and 2 guppys when i bought the guppy fish last week i was told she was pregnant. is there any way to tell when she is goin to drop? and should i keep the babies seperate from the main tank, if so should i put the 2 guppys on there own or what?? any advice welcome?? :? :?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Apr 2006 09:07 #2 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: Guppy Fish
Denny2,

guppyplace.tripod.com/FAQS.html

will answer a number of your questions.

On keeping and rearing the fry you will have a problem that the swords, platty's and the guppies themselves may eat them. You can either provide loads of plant cover and let them take their chances, move them to another tank, or buy a little box breeder which can hang on the inside of your current tank and keep the fry away from the other fish - these are usually inexpensive.

Monty

More
06 Apr 2006 12:16 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Put the female into a hatchery half full with plants (real or plastic)
Keep this shaded if you can and she will lay the fry when she is ready.
She more than lightly will not have the babys at the one time, it will be more like over a couple of days.
On day 2 ground up a small amount of flake food and feed the fry a couple of times a day.

More
06 Jul 2006 03:36 #4 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Well blow me but I was just getting used to the idea of finally having my tank in order when yesterday as I was rinsing some sponges I found a little'un swimming around happily in the filter box.
Panic....I've got babies....what do I do ....call the wife?.....no she had kids not fish......isolate...yeah ...how...Jesus get a book quick....call the Guards...SPCA....The Pope....HELP.

You get the picture, I was a little excited as you can tell.

Anyway the upshot is that I have 1(one) fry presumably from a Guppy. The rest must have been eaten and this little fella swam into the filter which was perfect shelter for him.
I transferred him to a breeding netted box thing that I got when the tank was about 5 days old. Ya I know - plonker - bit on the optimistic side.
He seems to be quite happy flying around the place and eating ground fakes. Not so sure about the liquidfry as it's microscopic I just presume he's taking it.

Gas thing is I thought I had 2 males. Perhaps someone can confirm the sex of these two from the photo. Hope this works ????

Wow it worked.

• Denny2 (Denny2)
  • Denny2 (Denny2)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Jul 2006 03:40 #5 by Denny2 (Denny2)
Replied by Denny2 (Denny2) on topic Re: Guppy Fish
Hi there, well as far as i can tell the orange one is the male!!
The male ones tend to have a bigger tale and a smaller
fin on top!!!

Good look with the fry!!!! :) :)

More
06 Jul 2006 04:00 #6 by monty (monty)
Many congrats Dad :D

Best of luck with the new arrival

Monty

More
06 Jul 2006 15:15 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Cheers processor i got a good laugh out of your panic from the new arrivel.
The fry would have been well fed on the particales of food in the filter.

The Guppy on the left or the red one is the male. Posably a red or golden red tuxedo Guppy.
You can tell this is the male by the gonopodium or his manhood dangling beneath him. Also males tend to be more colourfull.

The Guppy on the right is the female. Possably a yello or red yello tuxedo.
The females tend to have most if not all there colour on the tail.
I once had a wild female with practicaly no colour and was twice the size of a standard female.

When the females are pregnant there abdomen will swell (large belly) and soon before she is ready to give birth you will notice a gravid spot (dark spot on the anis).

Females are capable of storing the males sperm to use at a later stage.
I hope this is of some help and you can look at your female in a months time as she could be pregnant again by then. :D

More
06 Jul 2006 15:34 #8 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
Thanks for the congrats Monty I can name him after you - a lot better than naming him Stephen(Fry) as suggested by my mocking brother.(His Canary better watch out).

Will keep an eye out for more arrivals.

The plot thickens though !
When I got home this evening I brought my 3 year old up to see the fry and found another one on the outside of the fry basket so I quickly scooped him into the basket. That was at about 7 o'clock and now the little bugger has gone.There are no holes- repeat: no holes in the netting so either he's being named Harry(Houdini) or Eddie(The Eagle)......or would the other fry have eaten him?

Processor.

More
07 Jul 2006 02:39 #9 by monty (monty)
Name him after me - I'm chuffed. Any chance I can be godfather too :lol:

Had a similar problem myself with Molly's about 3 years ago. Put a few fry into the breeding net and some disappeared. - No holes etc. Neve found out what happened - all speculation - however years later and I'm back with mollies (daughter selection this time ) and now the breeder I have is plastic and not net based and I had another few fry in it and came in one morning to find that one full grown mollies had jumped in. Begs the question if they can jump in - can they jump out. Luckily no damage was done - 2 fry at the time and one of them went missing. Now I was in trouble - (2 young daughters each owning a 'baby fishy'). Thankfully my LFS helped me out by giving me a fry their mollies had dropped - that little blighter was the only one to survive.

Monty

More
17 Jul 2006 02:56 #10 by Processor (Niall O'Leary)
It's getting stressful again.

Since my last post I found yet another guppy fry but now the older/bigger one is gone....Nothing I can do except check escape routes again.

Now For A Separate And New Development
I got a plastic travel tank and some pea-gravel last week as I noticed my female Danio were getting big so after some online research I decided to put them into the plastic tank along with the males (whatever they look like... I haven't a clue so I just bunged all Danio in)and sunk the tank into the main tank.
Next day I saw the eggs so removed the adults. That was on Thursday eve. This morning I saw some fry in the plastic tank and oh my God I didn't know they were going to be this small.
Small amount of panic set in but decided to leave the wife out of this one.

Anyway the set up now is the fry in the plastic tank with a pair of the wifes nylon tights over the lid (it has slits and holes big enough for little fry to swim through - the lid that is... not the nylons) and a tube feeding a water flow from the filter outlet into the plastic tank.

My main question is (took my time getting to this- I do waffle)would it be enough to squirt some Liquifry into the plastic tank every so often or should they be in a separate independent tank out of the main tank ?

Processor.

PS> Will my wife believe me when I say that the fish are using her tights and not me????

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds