Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What to do with he fries?

More
27 May 2010 21:10 #1 by neki (neki)
Hi!

Finally after 2-3 months my pair of angels laid eggs and "finally" they weren't eating their eggs. When the fries became freeswiming every day there were fewer and fewer fries.

In the tank were just the pair and 2 otocinclus. I don't think the otos ate them.

The pair were very protective maybe when collecting the fries in their mouth maybe they swalloed few of them each time (this is my thoery)

after 2 days nearly 15 of them were left so I put them in a breeding net but 2 days later they all died.

I fed them with liquifry.

Now they just hatched the other batch and they moved them to a plant leaf.

What should I do this time:
Leave the fries with the parents in the tank or
Put them in the breeding net?

I got frozen cyclops today for the fries hoping they'll last more this time.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 May 2010 21:46 #2 by JohnH (John)
Hello Neki,
You really do need to keep your water scrupulously clean for fry - especially South American Cichlid fry (Angels and Discus particularly), they are just so incapable of coping with ammonia and nitrites, but especially ammonia, even though the adults can (to a larger extent).
You can, of course, try removing the eggs/larvae (wrigglers) and have a go at raising them artificially but even so, cleanliness is of the greatest importance.
Liquifry is a good starter food as long as you do not overfeed it, it quickly starts to decompose and really water needs changing a while after you have fed with it.
Far better starter food for Angel Fry is newly-hatched Brineshrimp, (see Puddlefish's excellent article in 'Foods and Feeding' section) but any uneaten shrimps will die and so will need to be removed too.
No food should be offered to the fry until they are fully free-swimming.
But, to do this (raise artificially) is to lose the huge pleasure you get from watching the parents herding their fry around, graciously gathering up any which stray too far from the 'pack'.

My advice would be to leave them with the adults until the parents change their parental role into one of wanting to breed again, then take them or the fry out promptly.

I would not advocate a breeding net for fry with Angels or most other Cichlids in the tank as they have an unpleasant habit of trying to 'suck' the fry through the mesh, which obviously they cannot achieve, but the fry die all the same.
Those are my views, but others will possibly differ, that's what is so good about this sort of Forum, it's a stage for everyone to air their views and opinions

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
27 May 2010 22:54 #3 by Rjb3 (Bob Borger (Captain Bob))
I have never had parent raising angels. I would take the fry out and use a small 2 1/2 or 5 gallon tank to raise them. Do 25% water changes morning and night paying close attention to temperature. Live food is a must when they free swim. That should do it.

More
28 May 2010 00:00 - 28 May 2010 00:01 #4 by Xeon (ioan micu)
Bouth of the advices above are good. It's up to you if you want to see the fry with the parents or you trying to be an angel parent :)). I recomend you to give the parents a few chances to try to raise the fry, most of the cichlids eat their eggs and fry for the first couple of times till they get it right, but when they do it's really rewarding. Have a look on you tube for a few videos of angelfish pairs with fry and then decide for yourself.
Not very important but as a guide try about 27°C, ph around 6 and softish water.
Live food is way better but not a must unless u want to raise all the fry(from a large well conditioned pair I got as many as 700 eggs)
Last edit: 28 May 2010 00:01 by Xeon (ioan micu).

More
28 May 2010 22:48 #5 by neki (neki)
Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

But I don't think water parameters were the problem because I didn't see any of the fries die because of water.

At first when they started swiming there were lots of them then next morning were less than half and the next day 16 were left.I didn't see any dead one in the gravel. After this I put them in the breeding net.

This time I'll give it a go and leave them with the parents.

Thanks Neki!

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds