Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Fish-Rooms and Fish Houses

More
22 Aug 2010 07:29 - 22 Aug 2010 07:31 #1 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Hi Guys,
Nows the time to let us see what's inside you little Dens, your spouse sanctuaries.
C'mon get those photos up of you fish breeding establishments (no excuses) and lets see how and what your all doing.
Don't matter none if it's scruffy, ramshackled or OCD pristine, just post and lets all have a wee Look-See inside your fishkeeping world. Images of any personal inventions (within your little wooden shacks) to make or save time are also appreciated.
Who'll be first!
Regards
C
Last edit: 22 Aug 2010 07:31 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Aug 2010 10:08 #2 by JohnH (John)
Who'll be first!

Could I suggest the author of this thread???

;o)

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
22 Aug 2010 10:12 - 22 Aug 2010 10:24 #3 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt)
Dont make me mention the age thing again John,
So be my guest and lets see what you've got. LOL
then maybe...just maybe...
Regards
C
Last edit: 22 Aug 2010 10:24 by Puddlefish (Colin McCourt).

More
22 Aug 2010 10:25 #4 by JohnH (John)

So be my guest and lets see what you've got. LOL

I'd need a huge magnification lens for that...oh sorry, I misread your intention with the above quote.

As to pictures, you know - I don't do pictures, but others I know do, hence why I was asking for you to start the ball rolling.

ps, what's about the 'age thing'? Aren't we all as old as we feel?

OK.............................it just sank in!

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
22 Aug 2010 10:34 #5 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)
Will be setting up my fish house in the next month or two. I cant wait :)

I'll be bugging everyone on here with Qs and ideas soon :D

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2010 11:50 #6 by 2poc (2poc)
Replied by 2poc (2poc) on topic Re:Fish-Rooms and Fish Houses
A very shakey vid of my fish room from last year

File Attachment:

Its quite different now, the puffer is still there but I've broken down the two marine tanks.
There's a 400 litre cichlid tank in there now plus a 240 litre with various oddballs and some CA cichlids, a 120 with some fry and old fish (the retirement home) and another 120 which is a holding/QT tank.

This was the 400 litre I had in my kitchen. Replaced with a 900 litre that I'm still setting up.

File Attachment:

All of the mbuna from this tank have been moved on bar the yellow labs. Most of the haps are massive now.

Will get some updated vids once I get the new tank running.

Cheers,
Patrick

More
23 Aug 2010 11:57 #7 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Very cool fishroom Pat, loved the puffer. Looking foward to seeing the new setup with the arow, gonna be sweet.

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2010 12:06 #8 by 2poc (2poc)
Viperbot wrote:

Very cool fishroom Pat, loved the puffer. Looking foward to seeing the new setup with the arow, gonna be sweet.

Jay

Cheers Jay, the puffer is a pet alright. Must be nearly a foot long now.

I'm looking forward to getting the Aro tank setup, it seems to be taking forever.. Its up and running at the moment having test-filled it last week. Over the next few evenings I'm going to drain and re-fill using a few hundred litres of mature water from a couple of the other tanks plus put the media from one of the external filters into the sump. I'll add a few cichlids and keep an eye on them for the next couple of weeks before adding the Aro.

More
23 Aug 2010 12:44 #9 by Viperbot (Jason Hughes)
Ah sweet. You will be up and running in no time mate. Given where the tank is, I see a lot of dinners getting cold whilst owner is goofing off the tank ;) .

Jay

Life
may not be the party we hoped for, but while we
are here we might as well dance.

More
23 Aug 2010 14:08 #10 by daveyw (david whitham)
puffer looks fab ,

He saw you coming in the room alright dinner time from daddy lol
I noticed a couple of small fish in the tank with him would he not gobble them up ?

More
23 Aug 2010 14:11 #11 by daveyw (david whitham)
Pat just looking at some of your other fish vids where did you get that cool branch / root you have in with the puffer it looks great

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Aug 2010 16:28 #12 by 2poc (2poc)
daveyw wrote:

puffer looks fab ,

He saw you coming in the room alright dinner time from daddy lol
I noticed a couple of small fish in the tank with him would he not gobble them up ?

Yep, I tried growing on some very small cichlid fry with the puffer thinking that they'd be too small for her to bother with.

They drove her mad.. I couldn't catch them to take them out and eventually as they got bigger and more complacent (and fat on mussel meat) they disappeared...

Re: the wood, that is red moorwood. Nice stuff but expensive, usually 30 Euro plus per piece. I'll drop you a PM on where I got it.

More
23 Aug 2010 18:38 #13 by Melander (Andreas Melander)
Patrick, thats one of the most stylish fish rooms i have seen, the tanks look great.

Most fish rooms you see seems to be quite bare, and the tanks are often bare too.

Melander

More
23 Aug 2010 21:57 #14 by Daragh_Owens (Daragh Owens)
Great looking tanks Patrick. I love the puffer, I bet he is a character.

Daragh

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2010 12:50 #15 by 2poc (2poc)
Glad you like it Melander, Its still a work in progress. The room is very limited in terms of tanks as the doorway is quite narrow..

Daragh - the puffer is a real character.. Always watching and begging for food, reminds me of a puppy. Pity they're so aggressive as I'd love to put some tankmates in with her. You should see those teeth when she's feeding, mussell shells are smashed to pieces with ease.

More
24 Aug 2010 12:57 #16 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
2poc wrote:

Glad you like it Melander, Its still a work in progress. The room is very limited in terms of tanks as the doorway is quite narrow..

Daragh - the puffer is a real character.. Always watching and begging for food, reminds me of a puppy. Pity they're so aggressive as I'd love to put some tankmates in with her. You should see those teeth when she's feeding, mussell shells are smashed to pieces with ease.

i'd love to see a vid of the puffer gettin his munch on Patrick...:)

Follow me up to Carlow

More
24 Aug 2010 13:01 #17 by Peteemax (Pete Maxwell)
mickdeja wrote:

2poc wrote:

Me too :D

Pete Maxwell

ITFS Member

• 2poc (2poc)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Aug 2010 13:05 #18 by 2poc (2poc)
Peteemax wrote:

mickdeja wrote:

2poc wrote:

Me too :D

Will deffo get one over the next few days - writing it in my diary at the mo ;)

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds